Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Motor help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Question Motor help

So Im a tid bit confused, Ive been recently researching motors, I'm sick of the stock axial motor and I'm looking into getting a brushed motor (so I can get my truck wet (not soaked just wet an not have to worry) ) But i have a few questions. Before I ask I will give a bit of back round...everything is still stock axial scx10 stuff. the motor is brushless. I want a motor that has less wheel spin as the stock 27t axial motor and something that is alot easier to crawl with. I was thinkin a 35t or 55t

1) What is the best cheap brushed motor (around 40 or 50 $$)?

2) What would be most ideal for a trail rig/ rock crawler (wheel speed and torque i want crawl-ability) ?

3) What would I have to do if I changed the motor? is there any other changes I have to make? I was reading some one else's forum and they were talking about having to changed to a brushed controller and esc?

I know this sounds a little newbish but I was rollin on ok with the whole motor hunting thing unitl I read someones forum about the 3rd question got me a little confused. If anyone has any answers please le me know, or a link to a forum or article that can point me in the right direction it would be gladly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!
Colorofkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorofkris View Post
1) What is the best cheap brushed motor (around 40 or 50 $$)?

2) What would be most ideal for a trail rig/ rock crawler (wheel speed and torque i want crawl-ability) ?

3) What would I have to do if I changed the motor? is there any other changes I have to make? I was reading some one else's forum and they were talking about having to changed to a brushed controller and esc?
1) There are plenty of good vendors here that make excellent handwound motors that are in that price range. I prefer to run Brood Racing motors. As for the turn, I wouldnt go up to a 55...that would be rather slow. I would stick with a 35-40T.
http://teambrood.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_29

2) As I mentioned 40T or so would give decent wheelspeed and plenty of torque.

3) Your current motor is brushed, so there would be no need to change the settings on your ESC

JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

for the trail if yo just wanna trail i would recommend a 55t or 45t motor, for crawlering and trailing, the 55t is slow.. but got torque, the axial motor will be fine if you dont run in dirty water for awhile, i ran my 27t stock in my truck under water and in mud and its still ticking, but it likes to lock u, if you really wanna ge in deep water or mud i suggest you get a water proofed motor and ESC.!, im running stock Dingo, except for i got 15t race motor plus the 27t and 55t,, metal drive shafts, i broke both drive shafts. anyway thats just me, but ya 45t i would think of going with or 55t or even higher, for speed i recommend 15t firebolt.. it works great!!
Dingotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Mate if you're after a better motor, go for a Br00d or Holmes Hobbies. (its personal preference to which one)
As for speed thats personal preference as well.
Look at a 45-35t. It will be slower than the stock 27t but have a spread of power & torque being a better motor in general.
55t would be OK, but it will a LOT slower. Some times you need a bit of speed to bump up over stuff.

Beaware that if you run a brushed motor in water you should really at least give the bearings a lube afterwards.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Alright thank you everybody, you have all been alot of help! Im gonna look at getting a 35t to start if it doesnt work then ill get the 40t, (always good to have spares right?)
Colorofkris is offline   Reply With Quote