Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Wiring a berg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Wiring a berg

Wiring up the berg and had a couple questions.

#1. Does this look correct?

#2. What is the correct orientation of the plugs that go the the receiver? I've got:

servo with a yellow - red - black
punk dig with white - red - black
CC BEC with brown - red - orange
MM ESC with brown - red - orange

But how should they be plugged into the receiver (each plug fits in two ways)?

#3. Should I program the ESC before I hook up the BEC (since I need to clip the red wire?), or should I wire it completly and then program the ESC?

Appreciate any help, thanks.
wonder squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

1 Yea thats right unless you want to run the BEC directly to the servo.

2 The black and the brown are the grounds, plug them in that way...Orange and yellow are the signals.

3 It shouldnt matter, either way will be fine you will just have to plug the red wire back in (dont cut it, pull it out of the connector so you can plug it back in if you need to).
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Ummm......keep in mind one motor needs to spin opposite of the other. You can either "time it" 180* out or swap the colors for one motor (red to -, black to +)
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
1 Yea thats right unless you want to run the BEC directly to the servo.

2 The black and the brown are the grounds, plug them in that way...Orange and yellow are the signals.

3 It shouldnt matter, either way will be fine you will just have to plug the red wire back in (dont cut it, pull it out of the connector so you can plug it back in if you need to).
What is the benefit of the BEC running directly to the servo? Will the receiver have problems handling 6-7.4 volts from the BEC to the servo (servo is a hitec 5995tg currently)? And would you connect the red and and black servo wires to the red and brown of the BEC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Ummm......keep in mind one motor needs to spin opposite of the other. You can either "time it" 180* out or swap the colors for one motor (red to -, black to +)
That never crossed my mind. Glad you mentioned it, I need to rearrange the motor wires now
Old 04-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

one reason to run a bec straight to a servo is for the hv servos running 7.4v since if u have other servos, ect. plugged into the rx that cant handle the voltage. but with a 5955tg since its only a 6v servo you will be fine wiring it the way in the picture
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Ugh... just finished up getting things soldered in place and new connectors on the charger, etc. only to find out the Mamba Max is not compatible with Windows 7 64bit unless you update the ESC on a 32bit machine first and run it through the Castle Link.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel View Post
That never crossed my mind. Glad you mentioned it, I need to rearrange the motor wires now
You would have figured it pretty quick on your own though.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

So I'm wiring up an Axial based rig too with a MM ESC, CC BEC, 7954sh servo, and Traxxas 2019 receiver. I'll be running 7.4v to the servo and would like to wire it directly to the BEC.

So currently, I have it wired like this: the BEC leads go to the ESC/ battery wires, and the positive and negative wire go directly to the positive and negative wires of the servo. The servo signal wire goes to the receiver, and the BEC signal wire is blocked off going no where. Look correct?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

that looks correct. so you should be good to go. some ppl have issues wiring that way which some have said its has something to do with the ground part of the circuit, some are fine so the only way to know is wire it up and try it. mine is wired just like your diagram and its perfectly fine.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
that looks correct. so you should be good to go. some ppl have issues wiring that way which some have said its has something to do with the ground part of the circuit, some are fine so the only way to know is wire it up and try it. mine is wired just like your diagram and its perfectly fine.
+1.

I am running a CC MM & a CC BEC wired direct to the steering servo (Hitec 7955TG). No issues thus far.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Got the berg all wired up but the Mamba Max isn't working. I am able to program it through the castle link connector and everything seems to work as it should, but when hooked up to the berg its dead. I get no tones or LED's. Actually, I get a dimly lit yellow LED when I unplug the ESC from the receiver when it is turned on, otherwise nothing.

I checked the connections and everything seems to be secure. I was able to set up my other MM ESC without issue so I swapped the dead mamba into the known good radio gear and still nothing. Hooked the DX3 up to the good mamba and it works fine. Tried the berg with and without the punk dig hooked up but no change. No tones or LED's.

Sent Castle an email but no word from them yet. Any ideas?

I should mention this Mamba Max has never been used. I sent a dead unit in and received a new unit in return.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post

So I swapped in a working ESC and got everything wired, I switched the motor leads around on the front motor (positive wire from dig to negative on motor). Now the motors are spinning in in different directions..?

Does the punk dig switch the polarity automatically?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel View Post
So I swapped in a working ESC and got everything wired, I switched the motor leads around on the front motor (positive wire from dig to negative on motor). Now the motors are spinning in in different directions..?

Does the punk dig switch the polarity automatically?

Its the rear motor you wire black to red and red to black
not the front motor...........

no it does not..............
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I switched the front motor wires around and now everything works as it should. Both front and rear motors are positive to positive and negative to negative.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Still can't get the other Mamba Max working. I can't find any related info on the intrawebz either.

No tones or LED's when plugged into everything, no response at all. When I plug it into the castle link connector the red and yellow LED's flash. I can program, upgrade or downgrade firmwares, change all settings, default all settings, etc., and the red and yellow LED's stay lit solid while it is updating, then back to flashing. The only time I get a LED in the vehicle is when it is plugged into the battery and I unplug it from the receiver, otherwise its dead.

Anyone ever seen this before? No word back from Castle support after four days so its not looking promising.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Just thought I would update this. Castle finally got back to me and advised I try switching the motor leads (from using red and black to using white and black) and trying it again. After trying that with a bunch of known good equipment it still did not work. Only option is to have to return it to them for repair again which will cost another $50 because its past their 90 warranty period.