Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Ok... Several ?'s here need advise pls.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Ok... Several ?'s here need advise pls.

Will try to make/keep this short and sweet. Specs: Clod axles/Novak 45T (2)/cc bec @7.4/outcry dual motor esc (2)/4PL

Issues: when I use the "dig" the motors do not "lockup" 100%. A) is this normal/ B) can drag brk be adjusted on these outcry thru 4PL? I am not 100% sure on prog. on 4PL. I fried a serv.- cirrus- got VERY HOT. I hooked up my 645mg and it is getting hot. Normal?

1) Does anyone know if I can adjust drag brk on outcry? IF I am doing it right-through radio- doesn't seem to work. Also I put Team Trinity #4389s Red Med. Heavy Motor Springs in rear motor. Would say helped a "lil" w/dig.

2) Can I put Lucas Oil Red & Tacky in servo... will this help "cool" motor or do I use dielec. grease? Is it normal for 645mg to get warm/hot? @ 7.4 thru cc bec?

3) I have searched ALOT and only seem to find Novak, Tekin, and some other no name/cheap brands esc. Yes I know Novak/Tekin aren't no name/cheap brands. I have read alot of ppl are having "problems" w/Novak esc.'s. What would be a good choice for a esc w/adjustable drag brk. that can be reliable? Been to Castles web but cannot find info for anything for.

Any and all thoughts sugg. are welcome. Thnx in advance!

Sabo

Last edited by sabohead; 04-04-2011 at 01:12 PM.
sabohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Most ESC's, other than the Novak M2, require you to either:

1-Run 2 ESC's (4PL handles this nicely)
2-A "dig" of some sort for a single ESC (either an electronic dig like a Punk Dig, Hayek (SP), or similar....or....a servo dig) A 3ch radio can handle a dig easily.

Best bet is 2 ESC's with the right RX since you can also do proportional, a 3ch RX at least gets you a dig.

I'm running a 2.2 Bully with a single ESC (CC MM) & a servo dig on a 3PM-x. The "brake" is adjustable.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Answers in green champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabohead View Post
Will try to make/keep this short and sweet. Specs: Clod axles/Novak 45T (2)/cc bec @7.4/outcry dual motor esc (2)/4PL

Issues: when I use the "dig" the motors do not "lockup" 100%. A) is this normal/ B) can drag brk be adjusted on these outcry thru 4PL? I am not 100% sure on prog. on 4PL. I fried a serv.- cirrus- got VERY HOT. I hooked up my 645mg and it is getting hot. Normal?

1) Does anyone know if I can adjust drag brk on outcry? IF I am doing it right-through radio- doesn't seem to work. Also I put Team Trinity #4389s Red Med. Heavy Motor Springs in rear motor. Would say helped a "lil" w/dig.

No the Outcry has no adjustment at all. It is a basic esc. Try going to a heavy brush spring again (purples)

2) Can I put Lucas Oil Red & Tacky in servo... will this help "cool" motor or do I use dielec. grease? Is it normal for 645mg to get warm/hot? @ 7.4 thru cc bec?

You dont need to add grease to a servo it will probably make it run hotter, due to the extra resistance,
A 645MG is only rated at 6v max, that is why it is getting hot. Drop the voltage back to 6v

3) I have searched ALOT and only seem to find Novak, Tekin, and some other no name/cheap brands dual motor esc. Yes I know Novak/Tekin aren't no name/cheap brands. I have read alot of ppl are having "problems" w/Novak esc.'s. What would be a good choice for a esc w/adjustable drag brk. that can handle dual motors and be reliable? Been to Castles web but cannot find info for anything for dual motors.

Any esc can run dual motors, you just need to wire them in parallel. Also need to make sure that your motors are not going to overload the esc.
To check if the ESC can handle the motor, find the motor limit of the esc then divide the number of turns of the motors you are running in 2.

eg. ESC has a 19t limit you're Running 2x40t motors. Divide 40t/2= 20t
So the esc in theory should handle the 2 motors.

Another option if you have a 4pl, go dual ESC's...better way to do it plus then you can adjust away drive individually.

Sabo
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yes I wanna go to BETTER ESC's but just not sure which one's.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Ok.
Best choice for compactness and adjustability for dual ESC's would be either Tekin FXR's or Mamba Micro Pros...

If you stick with a single ESC there's a bucketload out there. Homles BRXL would be the pick of the bunch though.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thnx but I will stick w/2 esc's.
Thats wht I was wanting info on, on which esc would be good. Thnx wideload for info!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:33 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

CORRECTION: info for good single esc. My bad
Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The divide the motors in half thing is not a good way to know if an ESC can handle the current. I would always contact them and ask.

A good hand wound 20t will produce around 150 watts no problem. A good 10t will produce under 300 watts......a 10t limit ESC would get blown up by two 20t motors. Just an example....

Turns don't always correlate down in wattage......and current handing is the limit on an ESC (that have a limit).

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote