Old 04-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default need a new charger and some batteries

i have a few scx10s, vxl pede, emaxx. so what should i get? thanks
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

What kind of batteries are you looking to get? I would recommend going Lipo unless there is some overwhelming reason why you would want to stick with NiMH or NiCD's. These sites are always a good source of inexpensive Lipo's:

www.cheapbatterypacks.com
www.valuehobby.com
www.hobbypartz.com
www.hobbyking.com

You will need to do a little research to figure out what size, mah, number of cells and discharge rate that would be ideal for your various vehicles.

As for a charger, I would look at the AC6 from hobbypartz, it's around $45 shipped and can charge pretty much anything you can throw at it.

This is all pretty general information but if you post the specs of your vehicles we can probably help a little more.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
RCC Addict

i was going to go with Nimh beacuse it was cheaper. only real reason. i have a stock scx 10 emaxx, vxl pede all stock for now. i dont know much about batteries... need to do some reading on lipos. how are the onyx chargers? thanks
Old 04-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
RCC Addict

to think of it batteries are not cheap.. dont want to lay out good money for some junk from china.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1009cucv View Post
to think of it batteries are not cheap.. dont want to lay out good money for some junk from china.
Most batteries nowadays are from China, even many of the "high end" lipos. Some might be assembled in the US, but the cells still came from China. The prices for lipos are dropping everyday. There is no contest as far as performance comparison between a lipo and nimh pack, the lipo has much more punch and power, and will not drop off like a nimh does once it gets a little discharged. Whatever charger you get, make sure it's lipo capable. Even if you don't get lipos right now, you'll end up going that route eventually anyways. Onyx chargers are ok, but they're really no better than the cheaper Thunder AC-6 or Accucell chargers.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I like my Onyx 210 charger. You can get adapter plug(s) to charge your different batteries.
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

look for a hyperion. The 606i is pretty good for charging one pack at a time.
d.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

X2 to what boogie said. I have an Accucel 6 Charger from hobbyking and it's been solid for two years now, pretty good for a $25 charger I would have to say. As far as batteries buy from cheapbatterypacks.com they are assembled right across the river from me and their service is great as well. When it comes to lipo's and certain chargers the "chinese junk" is equal if not better than some of the more well known brands, the price certainly is.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbid89 View Post
X2 to what boogie said. I have an Accucel 6 Charger from hobbyking and it's been solid for two years now, pretty good for a $25 charger I would have to say. As far as batteries buy from cheapbatterypacks.com they are assembled right across the river from me and their service is great as well. When it comes to lipo's and certain chargers the "chinese junk" is equal if not better than some of the more well known brands, the price certainly is.

One thing I like about the Accucel 6 is you can calibrate it!! On most chargers it isn't a option.
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

i have the HobbyKing ECO6 50W 5A Charger one the way. its the hobby king version of the accucel and its $18

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11060
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #11

+1 For the thunder ac6. no probs so far and easy to use. Plus its powersupply is internal.
noremacyug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
RCC Addict

after reading a bit im going for 2 ac6s. have a few traxxas and a few crawlers. scx 10 emaxx, pede, and now a tamiya cc 01. any one recomend what lipos i should go for? going to go with the blue lipo. thanks for the help
Old 05-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Ok, well first thing you have to figure out it sounds to me is how many of your vehicles have a lipo cutoff built in with the esc. I know so far that the stampede does. What esc are you running in your scx-10? If it's the ae2 it is lipo safe. But as far as i know the emaxx ones are not, which would mean you would either have to replace the esc in it or run lipo cutoff's for it, I believe one for each battery on it since it is dual, but someone else may be better suited to answer the "how many cuttoffs" question for the emaxx, since I havent owned one since the original. lol Same applies to the Tamiya, not sure what esc is in there. But the reason you need a lipo cut off is if you run them too low which takes longer than a nimh you can damage the battery and cause it to blow up. The cut off ensures that the vehicle shuts down after it gets to where it needs to be to be safe.

But best bang for the buck I have found for a 30c hardcase lipo is below.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10277

23 bucks for a 30c hardcase 5200mah lipo is a great deal, and i have ran turnegy packs for a while now and can attest they are good packs for the most part, and I run them in my ttc so they get submerged quite often, and I know Turtle runs them in his TTC truck also.
ozyint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Its been a month and a week since that post was made and the decision was already made

as far as a Lipo cuttoff you dont NEED one. it most cases it will be very clear when the power drops off suddenly. thats when you pull the pack.
also running it to low will not cause it to blow up. its not good for the packs health in the long term and repeated abuse could cause failure but over discharging once wont make it explode.
If you feel you want more protection you can always pick up a $2 or $3 Lipo alarm. they are used in planes and helis and when the pack gets to low it lets off an alarm. you only need one because they plug into the balance plug
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote