Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Need more "punch" small battery question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Need more "punch" small battery question.

I picked up a pair of the cheap walmart crawlers today on clearance, 14 bucks for the pair. I have a clod and grabbed the first one for daughter and then just couldn't leave the second one behind at that price, lol. Dont want to get into how crappy it is, because I agree with you. Its gutless! I did some google reading and read on here and a few other forums that a 7.4 lipo upgrade makes a big difference in power/clod stall. Stock they use 6 AA's. From what I read it is that even though the volatge is the same, the higher MA rating of the lipos gives it the extra punch. I was just looking on ebay and found some nimh 2500ma AA's for cheap. Would these give a comparable "punch" that the lipos do, or am I looking at this wrong? I have no desire to go lipo right now, I have a Tekin BC112 and am planning on just running NiMH's in my other rc's.

Thanks for the help!
TurboShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

The MaH number on a battery pack does not tell you how much punch they have. The MaH number you see is the capacity of the battery.

The punch you're looking for is numbered by a "c" rating on LiPo batteries.

I'm not aware of any NiCd or NimH batteries that carry this c rating. Only LiPos. The higher the c rating (20c, 30c, 40c, etc) the faster the battery can give up it's power without heating up.

The AA rechargeables you found will give it a much longer run time, but will probably only give them marginally better punch simply due to the chemistry of the batteries along with the low current connections the batteries have in the tray.

Marcus
Draggermirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

In general, NiCads & NiMH batteries will give better "punch" than ANY "AA" batteries.
LiPO's will be another jump above.

As mentioned before, the "mah" rating is the capacity (how big is the fuel tank) of the battery.

It's the old question, "Speed is money, how much do you want to spend"??
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I understand the 1500mh, or 3000mh is the "tank" size. But it was my understanding that a 3000mh would have a little more go then a 1500mh, but maybe that applies to the Nicd technology of 5 years ago and not to the newer batteries that are out today. Now you said that that the nicds and nimhs would give a better punch then AA's. I am looking at buying nimh AA's, so do you mean sub C's will give a better punch the a AA, or a nimh AA will be better then a non-rechargeable nicd AA?
Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
Got Worms?

yes, more mah will give you more continuous/peak amperage, "punch" . continuous/peak amps are determined by the C value and the ah value (or mah) So its ah x C or (mah/1000)xC so a 1500mah at 20-30 C will give 30 amps cont 45 amps peak.

So yes a higher mah of the same C will give you more punch "amps"

I don't know if nihm or nicds have a trend between C's and mah so i can't say more mah on a nicd/nihm will give more punch, but i would imagine it would, as long as same cells/cell quality is used.

Hope this doesn't confuse you, but if anyone still thinks mah has nothing to do will punch "amps" feel free to prove me wrong
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I totally understand. That's how I thought it worked but didn't know the specifics of it. I just thought as the mah rating went up so did the amps and so did the power. Now I have another question, would a 3000mah AA have the same amp output as a 3000mah sub C? Or is the structural design of the sub C better then the AA?
Old 04-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

a sub-c will be able to put out more current than a AA cell since the AA cells arent meant for any high amp draw and will fail much sooner than any sub-c. and with nimh the higher the mah you wont notice more punch if there is actually any increase in amp output
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote