Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: MMP Glitches

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default MMP Glitches

I just got everything wired up in my LCC and am having some serious glitches.

Running a MMP, Tekin Epic brushless 13.5, Hitec hs-7954.

When I power it up, it is like the ESC keeps shutting off and on. The servo just twitches. I have the voltage cutoff set, the bec set to 7 volts, and everything checked over and over. If I move my power switch wires, it seems like there is a short in it. Does anyone have any suggestions, or do I just need to send it back to Castle?
doors4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Have you hooked it up to a castle link to make sure it is set properly (specifically, "brushless" mode)??
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yes. I swapped servos, receivers, and batteries and it still glitched. The only thing I can think is that there is a short in the ESC somewhere. Could the Castle Link be the wrong edition? I updated everything before I plugged the car in.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I doubt that the software would be causing that....but if you have it set to "brushed" and using a brushless motor, it could cause the problems you describe.

As you mention, there also might be a short in the on/off switch....especially if you are having problems when you wiggle those wires...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Some castle esc's come with iffy switches. If i smell a hint of an issue, its the first thing that gets chopped and shorted.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The MMP is known for a very weak BEC. Install a BEC. Also I run this ESC in my Slash 4x4 (with a BEC on a stock traxxas servo) and I was having some very strange issues. I found there was a bad solder joint on the factory female bullet connector on the white wire. It looked fine, but was not making solid contact making the servo go nuts and the motor jump and make some buzzing sounds but not move. I cut off all the connectors and soldered them to the motor. Fixed all my issues.
krawlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I'm just pissed because I have waited to get all of the details done on the car and go to get it set up and it has issues. The motor works fine if I unplug the servo and have the power switch in the right spot. Will Castle still warranty this if I cut the power switch off?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
mrG
RCC Addict

You will need an external bec the MMP won't handle the amp draw that our servos pull.
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doors4u View Post
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I'm just pissed because I have waited to get all of the details done on the car and go to get it set up and it has issues. The motor works fine if I unplug the servo and have the power switch in the right spot. Will Castle still warranty this if I cut the power switch off?
Castle is fine with cutting the power switch. I concur about the bec tho, its very weak
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I'll try cutting the power switch and putting a BEC on before I get too carried away with sending it back.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I think that the short in the power switch is in side the case, so shorting it externaly probably won't fix it. I think I'm going to have send it back.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #12
RCC Addict

After removing the power switch, wire those two wires together. They need to be connected as this is what the switch was trying to do for you.
By eliminating the switch, you eliminate a potential problem.

Get your BEC wired up and you should be good to go.

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doors4u View Post
I'll try cutting the power switch and putting a BEC on before I get too carried away with sending it back.
I second that notion. I am on week 5 of their 3 week process, looks like it will be another 2 weeks from the e-mail I got. Try and figure it out before you send it in....I love castle and will purchase more in the future, but I will pick up another ESC so I can run, while my ESC gets sent in.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I called them today. They said they would just send out a new ESC if the above solutions don't work.