Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak Goat 3s issue??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Novak Goat 3s issue??

so i got my goat 3s installed today along with a cc bec wired up correctly according to the diagram at castles site it is currently set at the default voltage like 5.1 i believe anyways all works well but every now and then i get a glitch in my throttle like a quick tap in the throttle then as fast as it comes it goes away i am running the 2 ch losi 2.4 system and the servo is fine any advice?
cadency15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Are you running lipo?

Make sure the LVC is set properly.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Are you running lipo?

Make sure the LVC is set properly.
yes a 3s and yes it is set properly
Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

and you are pretty sure you dont have any power wires running on or very near your antenna? I had that happen a few times when i had a cheap am RX. Once i went with a spectrum and kept the antenna clear, never had a glitch problem.

I keep my castle BEC set at stock settings. Works great.
concretejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
and you are pretty sure you dont have any power wires running on or very near your antenna? I had that happen a few times when i had a cheap am RX. Once i went with a spectrum and kept the antenna clear, never had a glitch problem.

I keep my castle BEC set at stock settings. Works great.
i do have some close say half inch or so and i adjusted my bec to 6v now and it still remains i will move my rx i guess so it is completely out of the way of any wires and will post when i do that to see if the problem persists
Old 04-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Welcome to the Novak Goat 3s.

It seems like this same glitch is becoming common for a Goat 3s.

Mine has been doing it for a while, and someone else asked me about today at our comp. Said there's did the same.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
Welcome to the Novak Goat 3s.

It seems like this same glitch is becoming common for a Goat 3s.

Mine has been doing it for a while, and someone else asked me about today at our comp. Said there's did the same.
Mine starts after like 30 mins of running it.....After 30mins of running it anything more than 1/4 throtle and it is glitch city...if i turn it off and wait 20mins then it is fine for 30 more minutes....Im now looking it to getting the Tekin FX-R PRO system
poorboy366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have 3 trucks with the Goat 3s installed and had the same problem. I isolated the receiver and the esc so they are not so close to each other and that seems to have solved the problem for me. Also the CC bec could be the problem. Similar to the problem when using a CC bec with the M2 dig.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

so i moved the rx to over the trans and relocated any power wires to the opposite side and it seems to be fine just running it inside and trying everything i could and it didn't glitch yet (knock on wood) i will take it to the rocks today and see what happens there
Old 04-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

did some great climbing and it didn't glitch at all forward once in reverse but only once for 3 packs is good or so i think it also could be because of my stock losi 2.4 i am going to upgrade to the spektrum dx3e or s hopefully with the better rx that might eliminate it once and for all
Old 04-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

also what are people running as far as profiles with a losi or which would be best profile 1 which is the standard with the drag brake or profile 2 which is the worm drive any info is appreciated
Old 05-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #12

Anyone come up with a fix for this? I just installed a goat 3s and get the sudden forward throttle blip.

I am using the radio/reciever that came with the stock RTR kit. It's the new 2.4 GHZ radio and reciever.

I did a little rearrangement and moved the ESC about 6 inches away from the reciever box. I also got the power wires away as far away from the antenna wires as I could without doing reterminating the wires.

The popping still happens, although possibly not as often. And it seems to be not as severe as before. At first I thought it was going to break somthing in the drivetrain. However the problem is still there a bit.

I still have the wires that go from the BEC to the power cables running near the signal cables. To move those I need to do a little bit more work. Is it worth moving these cables?

I was also thinking of just moving to a different Rx/tx. The axial did come with a 2.4 ghz system. I can't tell how quality the rx and tx is because I am semi new to the hobby, and if a new Futaba will make any difference.

But if the problem is with the Goat, please help me so I just don't throw money at this thing.

Thanks for any help.
strungoutt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

csuangka@teamnovak.com

Sounds like the radio systems are generating some noise the ESC is responding too.

Super Clean installs, very short wires, extra good solder joings, or perhaps a higher level radio may help.

If we make the ESC ignore this "Blip" the RX's generate, it will take away from some of the performance/response of the ESC/Motor.

Also, we don't see this "Blip" with every radio system it's very much related to to the tollerance in the RX, and how it's all installed.

The install needs to be super clean, the solder joints need to be very good, and it's not a bad idea to add a filter capacitor/glitch buster to the RX. The small cap acts to help keep the power to the RX level/clean so you see slightly less noise. It doesn't always work, but it does for the situations that are related to not enough "juice".

thanks
Csuangka@teamnovak.com
Charlie
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #14

Default Re: Novak Goat 3s issue??

I have the same problems. Glitching glitching glitching.
I sent the first ECS back for warrenty and got a new one back. I have switched radios and installed the new Goat. Novak had tested the motor and said its fine. My local H/S switched the motor before I sent in the system and the motor tested fine. Also supplied power to the RX to bypass the BEC. Still glitching.
I have good solder joints and the motor signal cable runs on the opposite side of the motor cables. The ESC and RX are about 2" from each other. When running the motor out of the chassis you can hear that the motor doesn't run smooth in reverse. Not sure what thats about. A buddy has almost the same chassis and has the CC momba max and has no issues. I think I'm going to go that rout and throw the goat out in the field where it belongs. What a waist of money and time in my opinion.
Deereguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Glitching generally indicates a radio problem. Try contacting our Crawler expert Charlie, csuangka@teamnovak.com. He can help you troubleshoot your complete installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deereguy View Post
I sent the first ECS back for warrenty and got a new one back. I have switched radios and installed the new Goat. Novak had tested the motor and said its fine. My local H/S switched the motor before I sent in the system and the motor tested fine. Also supplied power to the RX to bypass the BEC. Still glitching.
I have good solder joints and the motor signal cable runs on the opposite side of the motor cables. The ESC and RX are about 2" from each other. When running the motor out of the chassis you can hear that the motor doesn't run smooth in reverse. Not sure what thats about. A buddy has almost the same chassis and has the CC momba max and has no issues. I think I'm going to go that rout and throw the goat out in the field where it belongs. What a waist of money and time in my opinion.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I sent the first ESC back for warranty and got a new one back. I have switched radios and installed the new Goat. Novak had tested the motor and said its fine. My local H/S switched the motor before I sent in the system and the motor tested fine. Also supplied power to the RX to bypass the BEC. Still glitching.
I have good solder joints and the motor signal cable runs on the opposite side of the motor cables. The ESC and RX are about 2" from each other. When running the motor out of the chassis you can hear that the motor doesn't run smooth in reverse. Not sure what thats about. A buddy has almost the same chassis and has the CC Mamba Max and has no issues. I think I'm going to go that route and throw the goat out in the field where it belongs. What a waste of money and time in my opinion.
1-What radio are you using? (AM, FM, 2.4ghz.......brand/model)
2-Did you recalibrate the ESC to the radio when you installed it?
3-From your comment about a "motor signal cable", I'm guessing you have a brushless motor?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I have had glitching problems also....a new sensor cable has fixed mine both times. The original one would lose continuity in one of the wires as it flexed causing some cogging and jerking. Novak sent me a new one out ASAP cured the problem. That one lasted about 3 months of heavy use and the same thing happened. I picked up a new one from my local Hub and once again problem gone.

I am thinking that the ESC is just TOO sensitive in this case. The cables will still function on other speed controls until they are bent severely. Hopefully a better quality sensor cable will cure this problem once and for all!
outkast7222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by outkast7222 View Post
I have had glitching problems also....a new sensor cable has fixed mine both times. The original one would lose continuity in one of the wires as it flexed causing some cogging and jerking. Novak sent me a new one out ASAP cured the problem. That one lasted about 3 months of heavy use and the same thing happened. I picked up a new one from my local Hub and once again problem gone.

I am thinking that the ESC is just TOO sensitive in this case. The cables will still function on other speed controls until they are bent severely. Hopefully a better quality sensor cable will cure this problem once and for all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
1-What radio are you using? (AM, FM, 2.4ghz.......brand/model)
2-Did you recalibrate the ESC to the radio when you installed it?
3-From your comment about a "motor signal cable", I'm guessing you have a brushless motor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
Glitching generally indicates a radio problem. Try contacting our Crawler expert Charlie, csuangka@teamnovak.com. He can help you troubleshoot your complete installation.
Well the glitching got so bad it turned to smoke!! Burned up my esc and motor. The motor got so hot it melted a solder joint and arced on another wire. It broke my front locker in the process.

I've permanently solved this problem by installing a tekin rs pro esc and a LRP brushless motor. The receiver is still mounted in the same place and guess what NO GLITCHING!

Hopefully Novak will replace this thing I have now so I can at least try to recoup some money...
Old 02-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

I was having the same problem with my MMP running a FM system. Did what most of you did and remounted all my electronics so the receiver and antenna were isolated. Haven't noticed any problems since.
Crawler King69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #20

My ESC and RX were 1.750" away from each other. And the antenna in the Sealed RX box. And. Now I don't have to listen to the cooling fan.