Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Porpotional dig on a budget?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Porpotional dig on a budget?

I am in a position to upgrade my xr10 to porpotional dig. Right now I have a single tekin fxr and am debating between getting a second fxr and new radio system which sounds very expensive. Or keeping the single fxr and getting a punk dig. I currently have a Spectrum DX 3E.

Whats the cheapest way to get porpotional dig control? Thx
NMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLJ View Post
I am in a position to upgrade my xr10 to porpotional dig. Right now I have a single tekin fxr and am debating between getting a second fxr and new radio system which sounds very expensive. Or keeping the single fxr and getting a punk dig. I currently have a Spectrum DX 3E.

Whats the cheapest way to get porpotional dig control? Thx
Buy a second FXR and try to get your hands on one of the DX3E hack kits. It may be hard to find one but if you do it is definitely the least expensive way. If you cant you could sell your DX3E and buy the new DX3C.

I would contact wantasummit and see if he has any hack kits left that he could sell you.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Another option is to buy a nice clean used Futaba 3PK or PKS. Those should be pretty cheap now that the 4PKS and 4PL are out and you still can use full proportional dig.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

from my understanding the cheper route would be the punk dig. havent seen any complants about it ethier.
hardknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
Got Worms?

No wantasummint doesn't have anymore hacks...but i have one somewhere.

I also am now building the dual esc mixers/dig that wantasummit designed, it won't work real well for proportional on a dx3e it will, but not very easy, but will give you dual esc dig, and if you ever upgrade to like a 3r, you'll already have the equipment to do proportional

The dx3c can however do dual esc mixing in the radio itself, and is the cheapest radio that can do this. Your next cheapest option is the 4pl, then the 4pk. These are the only production pistol grip stlye radios that can do dual esc mixing, without the use of wantamix on the rx side :thumbsup:

Proportional control is a better option than a dig switch, just due to how they work. However if you want to go that route heyok is selling dig switches, along with punkrc if you can manage to find one...
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Looks like the DX3E is back ordered. How easy is it to do proportional control with pistol grip radios?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Default servo dig

you could always get a micro servo and a couple micro switches and build a dig, cost me about $20 bucks to build mine and works just as good as the punk digs 2 of my buddies have.
crashmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmurray View Post
you could always get a micro servo and a couple micro switches and build a dig, cost me about $20 bucks to build mine and works just as good as the punk digs 2 of my buddies have.
But I want porportinal dig. Not Just on/off.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Like I was I was looking for cheapest way to do proportional but wanted good stuff I waited for the futaba pl to come out and got one and 2 mamba micro pros for the price of a novak m2 and dx3r and got better stuff.nitro hobbies had futaba pl at one time for $209 in your case and not regret it. I would get another fxr and hack your radio or get a radio that can mix you will love it.
nagrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I have a wannasummit dual esc proportional thing, and I will be going to a 4pl eventually. The wannasummit deal works pretty well, but the display on the 4pl is worth it. It shows how much power you are sending to front and rear. That way you always know exactly where you are in the mixing.
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
cherry bomb

Quote:
But I want porportinal dig. Not Just on/off.
then why is the punk dig even an option punk dig will not give you propo.

either way you will need to get a new radio (or locate a DX3E hack)

I got a DX3R and the wantAmix (losikid is now making these) with the pro out, and the futaba 4PL/PK out (and release of the DX3C uppon us) there has been quite a few DX3R's moving through the classifieds lately.

i'm not 100% sold on the DX3C yet, but it may be the radio to go with if your on a budget, I'd want to see it work before paying for it.

I will stick with my DX3R and wantamix, good luck.

i'll say it again since its one of your options in the OP.

the punk dig does not allow proportianal control
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
then why is the punk dig even an option punk dig will not give you propo.
In my op I stated I'm debating between proportional or punk dig set up.
What I'm asking in this thread is the cheapest way to get proportional control. Not cheap on/off digs.

Why wouldnt my DX3E operate a punk dig?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
cherry bomb

Quote:
Why wouldnt my DX3E operate a punk dig?
it would operate the punk just fine. I read it as you were looking for propo control and thats it (sorry about the miss-read). I was just trying to help out.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
it would operate the punk just fine. I read it as you were looking for propo control and thats it (sorry about the miss-read). I was just trying to help out.
Thanks for the help, this is just confusing to me. Is there a reason why everyone is suggesting pistol style radios? What about cheap twin stick options?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
cherry bomb

personal preferance really, most people find it easier to drive an rc "car" with a pistol, if you have access to try some sticks try them. it would suck to buy a stick radio and hate it more then anything.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #16
Got Worms?

Yea easier on a pistol, because its actually just adjusting the mix rate so your slave channel (rear esc) so it doesn't need to be a 100% mix rate.

The dx3c, 4pl, 4pk have this mixing ability built into the radio software, so the click of a button will move that percentage up or down what ever you set your step rate at (ex. a 10% step when the switch is moved)

The DX3E hack adds this ability to the dx3e, basically it does the mixing then injects it into the outgoing ppm stream

The wantamix decodes a linear channel coming from the radio and does the mixing then, so at -100% and 100% ch throw you have dig, at 0% you have an even mix, then all the percents inbetween is a mix rate. This is for radios that can't mix, but do have the ability to adjust their channel with linear control.

I have a pm heading your way, about the hack kit i have
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I still think a 3PK is the cheapest, under $100 and you program it exactly like a 4PKS.
I switched from my DX3R and wantAsummit to just my old trusty 3PKS and it works great.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #18
Sometimes, I make things.

I have BNIP wantsasummit 3e hack if your interested in it, PM me if so.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I bought the wantasummit from crazyorigion and it should be here Monday. I will be on vacation next week so cant start on it right away.

Will let you guys know how it works out.