Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Smoked 8 Motors... Need Some help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Smoked 8 Motors... Need Some help

Ok so I did some help I seem to be able to smoke some motors left and right and cant seem to figure out what the problem is... I have checked the power out put from my sidewinder ESC and it pushes 11.8v of power to the motor, I also tested the output on a friends vehicle to see if it was right and he is pushing out the same amount and dosent go through motors like I do... So I dropped my BEC down to 5.5v it was at 7.0v butit still smoked a motor and it is also getting glitchy so I am going to bump it up to 6 maybe 6.5v... My mesh is good when the motors are installed... I dont notice any binding in the drivetrain or the differentials... Me and my buddy Steve have got some 12t on its way here and then if I burn through this one I am thinking of getting a Holmes Hobby 14t motor... And probably a Tekin 35T motor... Me and Steve are stumped on this problem I am seeming to have right now and am open to all sorts of help... Me and A friend thought that because my ESC has been wet that when it dried out it causes to much power to push out sometimes which causes me to smoke the motors .... So the Motors I have gone through are as follows... Mind you I am using the stalk pinion for the tranny... Axial 27t with a 20T Pinion (3), Titan 12T with a 13T Pinion (2), HPI 15T with a 15T Pinion (1), 65T with a 20T pinion (1), Tekin 35T with a 20T Pinion... I cant figure out what the hell is going on and need so advice... Please help.....
Chaffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I would tear your truck down and check for binding in the drive train.

If you have run in water etc it is very likely that something is binding or you could be getting your gear mesh too tight.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I checked the Mesh and its not to tight, nor to loose where it eats my pinion... I havent broke down the drive tran yet but I will soon as I get new bearings and stuff so I can replace all that stuff.... But I dosent seem Like I have any bad binding in there that would cause me to smoke a motor in 15 mins of useage...
Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I know it's unlikely that you've done this on 8 motors, but are you sure you are soldering the + to + and the - to - ? This is something that quite a few people over look. Especially when they solder with the motor still in the truck.

But like i say, it's unlikely that you'll do this for 8 motors...
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Let's get some facts first........truck, radio, battery types, etc...

Now, I am assuming the motors are smoking as you run them, not immediately after you hook them up....

The BEC has little to do with the motor.....

Voltage to the motor really isn't gonna cause it to smoke......voltage is just voltage really, its amperage that's gonna cause stuff to do bad. Motors smoke usually because of excessive amp draw. Common things that can cause it, binding the drivetrain, poor gear mesh and believe it or not, the most common.....bad driving. Sometimes you gotta realize you are stuck and back off the trigger and reset the truck. I personally think learning to at least drive a LCC makes people better at knowing when to back off, as its easy to smoke motors in an LCC.

Since you have tried 8 motors, I think we can eliminate the motor from being the problem.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I soldered the wires correctly mesh is good.. I could possibly have alittle binding in the drivetran... My driveing isnt bad.. I mean I get on it when I need to but when I am stuck I am stuck and I back off the throttle So I dont know
Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I see most of these as being over geared for the voltage you're putting into them and expecting them to last 15 minutes.

27 turn on 3s lipo I'm assuming with a 20 tooth pinion? my 35 turn crawler gets warm after a 6 minute comp and hot if stalling alot with a 16 tooth pinion.

I advise you start monitoring motor temps closer. If no binding is found, try a proven brushless setup.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Its an SCX10 with a Proline Jeep Body, Hobby King 3ch Radio, CC Sidewinder with a CC BEC, Turnigy 3s 2.2 Lipo... It is a stock pinion on the Transmission, I have dropped the Titan 12T pinion to a 13T pinion, the stock Axial 27T is ran with a 20T pinion and the 65T had a 20T Pinion on it
Old 04-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Well, if you have elimanted the ESC and the Battery as potential problems.....then it is more than likely one of the following.

1. Gearing.....stuff is not geared correctly, better to undergear really than overgear.

2. Binding.....something, either gear mesh, a bearing or a chipped tooth is creating massive drag, which increases amp draw......time to go through everything with a fine tooth comb and make sure its all nice and free like it should be.

3.Poor Driving.....yer simply romping on it too hard.....

4. Bad luck.....you simply have the worst luck in the world and always seem to get a bad motor. I do not suggest gambling at this time.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Skid & Eddie are right.

My suspicion is that your gearing is the main culprit.

27turn on 3s with a 20t is way over geared. If you are heavy on the throttle its going to smoke, Same with the 65t.
As for the 12t Titan, they smoke out if you look at the funny in my experience.

What EddieO said as well is right, there's no way you have had 8 dodgy motors (unless you have seriously sucky luck)

Its a case of 3 things; Over geared, something binding in your truck and most likely you driving has a part in it as well.

Try again, and drop the pinion down to around the 14-16t mark to start with.
Plus before you put a new motor in try and turn the wheels by hand and see if there is any resistance. Your whole drive train should spin smooth with no motor in the rig.

Last edited by WIDELOAD; 04-11-2011 at 04:51 PM.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I will skip some of the comments already stated......enough said.

I will say:
1-The pinion is the gear that goes on the motor
2-The spur is the gear on the trans that the pinion goes against
3-If your motor gets rather warm, try going to a SMALLER (less teeth, like change FROM a 17T to a 15T pinion) pinion gear.
4-"Usually", when going to less turns on the motor, you also need to drop the number of teeth on the pinion.

Anywhere in my post where it states to change the pinion size (aka, change the tooth count) you can also do the opposite to the spur gear, provided you have some options.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I'll add a few things that might be of assistance if all the other suggestions above aren't doing it for you.

Are you using 48 pitch pinion gears?

The wrong pitch gears can cause a mesh/bind issue that you may not be aware of and despite the belief that .6 mod and 48P gears are the same, 25.39mm does not make an inch.

Is the slipper clutch to tight or loose?

Obviously there is an issue somewhere and your buddy doesn't have a problem so maybe you should swap trucks with your buddy and see if he can kill your motor or you kill his.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRoo View Post
I'll add a few things that might be of assistance if all the other suggestions above aren't doing it for you.

Are you using 48 pitch pinion gears?

The wrong pitch gears can cause a mesh/bind issue that you may not be aware of and despite the belief that .6 mod and 48P gears are the same, 25.39mm does not make an inch.

Is the slipper clutch to tight or loose?

Obviously there is an issue somewhere and your buddy doesn't have a problem so maybe you should swap trucks with your buddy and see if he can kill your motor or you kill his.
LOL, we did that and he smoked mine as well,LOL
But my motor was on its last leg and we where just following the same slow trail with a few rigs in front of us. so its not his driving skills unless scalers are not made to go slow
ickabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #14
Got Worms?

Have you tried a smaller pinion yet
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote