Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Battery & Charger mix or not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #1

Default Battery & Charger mix or not

Well think I having trouble with my Battery now. I bought at a local hobby shop and he said it was a good setup. Now cant seem to get my LIPO battery to charge. put it on charger and it says it is charged in a few minutes but its making my crawler run crazy. Shop sold me a LOSI 2-cell 7.4V LiPo battery part#LOSB9868, he then sold me a vision ultra dynamite charger to charge my battery with. well I have charged it about 4 times at a 3.6A and done fine, from what I read on instructions that is what I was suppose to do. I also read only to use losi charger. Any input welcome.
clayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Doesnt look like that charger will balance your lipo. I would recommend getting a charger that will balance your cells or you can buy an external balancer to use with your charger.

Im not sure exactly what the problem you are experiencing is...Can you tell us what the problem is?
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Charging most LiPO's @ 3.6A is NOT good for the life of them. Take the time and only use 1A.

Also, you can use ANY brand charger for ANY brand battery. One makes volts, the other accepts it.

Balance charging LiPO's is also a good thing.

What rig is this in?
What ESC?
Does the ESC have a LVC (low voltage cutoff)?

You are overcharging the pack and "may" be overdischarging it.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Charging most LiPO's @ 3.6A is NOT good for the life of them. Take the time and only use 1A.

Also, you can use ANY brand charger for ANY brand battery. One makes volts, the other accepts it.

Balance charging LiPO's is also a good thing.

What rig is this in? SCX-10
What ESC? Novak goat 3s
Does the ESC have a LVC (low voltage cutoff)? Thought the hobby guy said it was made in the battery but I could be wrong.

You are overcharging the pack and "may" be overdischarging it.
by overdischarging you mean trying to run car after battery dead. I run it mayb 30 - 40 mins and was going to run again and it started going backwards byself and start out very slow so I figured time to charge battery and it says it is charged in few minutes. Guess I still learning bout this stuff and alot to learn from what I can tell. Thanks guys.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayne View Post
by overdischarging you mean trying to run car after battery dead. I run it mayb 30 - 40 mins and was going to run again and it started going backwards byself and start out very slow so I figured time to charge battery and it says it is charged in few minutes. Guess I still learning bout this stuff and alot to learn from what I can tell. Thanks guys.
A good vehicle setup for running a LiPO has either a LiPO cutoff built into the ESC (and have it enabled and set correctly), or, an external LVC.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Charging a LiPo at 3.6A is perfectly fine, if it's a 3600MaH. You can also charge LiPo's at much higher rates if the packs are rated for it. Generally you want to charge a LiPo at 1C (1 X it's capacity). I charge some Thunder power 6S 4400MaH 65C at 20 amps all the time at the field.

Doesn't look like your charger will balance LiPo's either, which is pretty important. I would bring it back to the LHS you purchased it from and get one that will, or purchase a cell balancer that will work with your application. You also don't want to discharge a LiPo under 80% of it's capacity. Over time this will shorten the battery life significantly.
BennyTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyTRD View Post
Charging a LiPo at 3.6A is perfectly fine, if it's a 3600MaH. You can also charge LiPo's at much higher rates if the packs are rated for it. Generally you want to charge a LiPo at 1C (1 X it's capacity). I charge some Thunder power 6S 4400MaH 65C at 20 amps all the time at the field.

Doesn't look like your charger will balance LiPo's either, which is pretty important. I would bring it back to the LHS you purchased it from and get one that will, or purchase a cell balancer that will work with your application. You also don't want to discharge a LiPo under 80% of it's capacity. Over time this will shorten the battery life significantly.
x2

Some newer lipos allow up to 5c charging as well. However any lipo is good for 1c. In fact hyperion chargers (hands down one of the best) automatically charges your lipos at 1c when you put in the information on capacity and cell count.

No need to buy a losi charger though, that is just BS and losi trying to sell you more crap. In fact, the losi lipo charger is the same one that can be had on hobbycity.com for about a third of the price, of course it doesn't have losi stamped on it, but oh well.

Losi Charger:

Hobbyking/Hobbycity Charger:

Last edited by TexasSP; 04-12-2011 at 08:26 AM.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Are you sure you have the battery type selected correctly in the charger?

You can also select Life or LiIon, both these will still charge the pack to its correct current but put a much lower voltage in to the pack.
Life would be 7.3 volts when charged and LiIon would be 8.2 volts (I think) when charged.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
I run it mayb 30 - 40 mins and was going to run again and it started going backwards byself and start out very slow so I figured time to charge battery and it says it is charged in few minutes.
Sounds like what the fiancee's eRevo was doing, turned out putting it on my Futaba 2.4 solved the problem.

Are you running the stock 27mhz radio?
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRoo View Post
Are you sure you have the battery type selected correctly in the charger?

You can also select Life or LiIon, both these will still charge the pack to its correct current but put a much lower voltage in to the pack.
Life would be 7.3 volts when charged and LiIon would be 8.2 volts (I think) when charged.
yep charged it in the lipo setting. I first thought I was havin trouble with my ESC and I think I still may have that problem, the radio is a speckum DX3E. Its been working pretty good but been having to use the one touch button alot to get it to work and sometimes it want reset. should I have to use the one touch button on the Goat 3s? I just lost trying to chase down this problem.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #11

Default Re: Battery & Charger mix or not

Been while but found the problem it in the radio Dx3e. No problems now for past couple years. thanks for the help battery charging right now too.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

jaloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Been while but found the problem, it's in the radio Dx3e. No problems now for past couple years. Thanks for the help, battery charging right now too.
2.5 years later......, but hey, thanks for the update. I'm sure others will have a similar issue and you closed this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaloos View Post
True, but a resolution has been had, thus it's a good thing.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Just having a little fun with it
jaloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaloos View Post
Just having a little fun with it
Trust me, I see the humor. I was thinking almost the exact same words when I saw the post progression.

I still like seeing "close out posts" so the next person can use it.