Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: motor cleaner substitute

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default motor cleaner substitute

ok guys i have some hand wounds on the way, but in the mean time i was gonna clean my integy 55t's... im not gonna bother takeing them apart to use soap and water, im just wanting to spray them out with some cleaner and oil the bearings.... my question is, can i use electronic contact cleaner (from auto zone) the same way you would use motor cleaner from a hobby shop? (spray till it runs clear then oil).. if not what can i use instead... i would use motor cleaner but my lhs doesnt carry it... please dont flame me for asking this.. believe me i have searched my ass off looking for the answer to this with no luck... thanks guys
tyrod_emmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

It will work as will Brake-Kleen. These are much cheaper than RC marketed sprays and do as good a job. Just be cautious because some of these can weaken plastics.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I know you can just but them in a glass of water with a drop of soap to break a motor in, so I think you could try that. it has to be running in the water.. been along time but that was what they did back in the day....I could be wrong, Any agree?? or dissagree??
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Wasn't running water...just a cup.

Not a very good way to clean a motor either.....a motor full of water when you are done is gonna rust and attract dirt like mad.

Electronic contact cleaner works, or if you have a way to pressurize it, mineral spirits work fine....dirt cheap too. Harbor frieght used to sell a spray bottle you could pressurize with a tire pump or air compressor.

I'd just take the 5 minutes to take them apart and use soap and water, then make sure they are good and dry.....basically free.

Later EddieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggynutt View Post
I know you can just but them in a glass of water with a drop of soap to break a motor in, so I think you could try that. it has to be running in the water.. been along time but that was what they did back in the day....I could be wrong, Any agree?? or dissagree??
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote