Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak rooster fried, Does installing new battery connectors void warranty?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Novak rooster fried, Does installing new battery connectors void warranty?

I just bought a new rooster and I have only ran it outside on the rocks 2 times and inside around the livingroom only a handfull of "test runs".

I'm running a 35T motor with rc4wd r2d trans with a 19T pinion and traxxas 7cell 3000mah batteries, truck weighs in at about 9lbs.

well on my second run out on the rocks just about to the end of my battery I found a loose wheel nut so I tightened it then imedietly after I went to hit the throttle and nothing then I heard a "poof" and smelled that oh familiar smell of smoked electronics so I turned it off and disconnected the battery, once I got it back to the bench and checked everything out it's my ESC it fried wasnt running hot just a little warm at the time of destruction.

I had my lhs solder on a new traxxas battery connector to the esc and bullet connectors for the battery,

My ? is does soldering on the traxxas connector void the warranty? it's a little confusing in the novak instruction manual in one spot it sais the use of high current connectors may be used but if not installed properly it may void warranty, and on a wire tab it sais that only the factory tamiya style connector is to be used... The tamiya connectors IMO get way to hot and often melt causing more problems.

Is it still covered..?

thanks for looking guys I know it's a long post but really cant afford another one right now so I need the warranty but if Im wasting my time sending it in then I'll just have to wait I guess.

Tyler

Last edited by Diesel-tech; 04-13-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

It doesn't void your warranty......they are simply saying if you install them wrong and it blows the ESC, then it can. Basically, unless you soldered them on backwards, you are fine.......if you did, they will know fairly easily the ESC received reverse current.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Deff not on backwards thing worked flawlessy and then out of nowhere...poof

I had the hobby shop solder on the connections because my soldering iron sucked so it got trashed and since I was there buying the connectors anyway I figured I'd have them just go ahead and put em on for me. a little more money to keep them open is the way I see it.

I didnt see how installing better connectors would be bad for it, melting tamiya connectors seems worse in the long run
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

Novak has stated before on here that soldering on a different battery connector will not void the warranty if they are installed properly.

Contact Charlie at Novak and let him know the situation.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

As already mentioned, you should be OK. Doing a reverse polarity (getting the red & black wires swapped) tends to show up when they look at the PC boards. The damage is different from other failures.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote