Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sidewinder V2 super hot on 3S with brushed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #1

Default Sidewinder V2 super hot on 3S with brushed

Hi, first let me introduce myself, I'm a french noob crawler. I've spent quite some time lurking on this forum(Thanks guys for the good advices I could find here thank you as well for turning this little hobby into a money hole )

I own a ax10 with gc3a,sv2 esc,cc bec ,hh torquemaster 45T.
The torquemaster is my 3rd motor, I used to have a silvercan which died.

For the last month I have been using a revolver black( which is a brushless) on 3S with no issue but the cogging at low speed, I just switched to the torquemaster today since I like brushed better and the sidewinder gets hot very fast when i use the 3S. It happened as well with the silvercan , which I ended up using only with a 2S.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
steppinrazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Whats your gearing (pinion/spur)? Gear mesh to tight? Does the motor get hot? Drag in the drivetrain? Everything set right via Castlelink?

I've never felt any of mine reg Sidewinders even get warm in a crawler.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #3

I have the stock ax10 gearing 14/87, I have upgraded my tranny gears by all metal ones but there is no drag or bind in it nor in the drivetrain.

I used castlelink to set it to brushed, auto lipo, crawler 213%.. nothing special.

The motor gets warm on 2S after driving for a long time.

I drove it this afternoon for about 2 hours, 10 mins with the 3S and then the esc cut because of it's temperature. The remaining time, nearly 2 hours was with a 2S, the esc was cold and the motor at most was warm.

What puzzles me is that i don't have that issue when using a 2S or a brushless with 3S. It only happens with a 3S and brushed that the sidewinder gets so hot that it cuts.

edit: On a side note, my crawling mate has a CR01 with a sv2 as well and has the same issue when I lend him a 3S. His sv2 gets hot super fast as well and then cut. He has a CR tuned tamyia motor.
we have no problem in 2S. odd ...

Last edited by steppinrazr; 04-15-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added informations
Old 04-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Last edited by sabohead; 04-16-2011 at 04:20 AM.
sabohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

When I built a Creeper for my dad I went with a Sidewinder V2 and 3s as well. Ran up at HobbyTown USA in Oshkosh and the esc was slightly warm at best. Neither the motor or esc got hot. I set his up as brushed, 3s cut off and 213% drag brake .
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabohead View Post
1st of all you are gonna fry your motor on 3s brushed. or the esc for that matter. Brushed motors cant handle that much going to it. If you like spending money than keep going that route. You will fry something b4 too long.
you havent been around electric rc motors long have you?
if 3s would fry his esc which is rated to run on 3s and fry a brushed motor on 3s why do so so many ppl run 3s with no problem, including myself. i would contact castle directly about this problem as it seems there are still bugs with the new sv2. on my original sidewinder i run a cheap integy 16t motor on 3s in my cr01 or sc truck all the time and the motor is fairly warm but the sidewinder is just barely warm and that motor has yet to fry, it just eats brushes because of its speed.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
1st of all you are gonna fry your motor on 3s brushed. or the esc for that matter. Brushed motors cant handle that much going to it. If you like spending money than keep going that route. You will fry something b4 too long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
you havent been around electric rc motors long have you?
if 3s would fry his esc which is rated to run on 3s and fry a brushed motor on 3s why do so so many ppl run 3s with no problem, including myself. i would contact castle directly about this problem as it seems there are still bugs with the new sv2. on my original sidewinder i run a cheap integy 16t motor on 3s in my cr01 or sc truck all the time and the motor is fairly warm but the sidewinder is just barely warm and that motor has yet to fry, it just eats brushes because of its speed.

was thinking the same thing, these motors/esc/batteries aren't the same as yesteryear. some guys are running 4S with 35T motors or pullers. I have run 3S with no over heat issues.

second on contacting Castle...Charles is very good to deal with (as is the whole group over there) Make sure you have brushed set up with your ESC control on the computer, timing set to O...just double check. Hope you get this figured out.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #8

I just have my esc plugged in the castlelink and everything seemed fine.
I see everywhere on the forum that people are using 3S and brushed motors on a sidewinder. Hence me being puzzled.

What really bothers me , is that i have no issue with a bl or with a 2S and a brushed. and that i have tried a 3S on my friend sv2 and he had the same problem.

As you suggest i'll send a mail to cc and see what they think of it. I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
~THE SCALE SHOP~

I had alot of heat in my BRXL (very similiar to sidewinder) with 3S and the drag brake set so high. lower your drag brake to 30%-50% and alot of your heat will go away. mine did. and it will still hold the truck on the side of a hill.
i was running the identical motor as you as well. when i had the drag brake set that high the motor would also make all kinds of grunting noises setting still, and shoot fire out the endbell. lowering the drag brake fixed all that. heat as well.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
I had alot of heat in my BRXL (very similiar to sidewinder) with 3S and the drag brake set so high. lower your drag brake to 30%-50% and alot of your heat will go away. mine did. and it will still hold the truck on the side of a hill.
i was running the identical motor as you as well. when i had the drag brake set that high the motor would also make all kinds of grunting noises setting still, and shoot fire out the endbell. lowering the drag brake fixed all that. heat as well.
I'm going to try that, while waiting for the answer from cc.
Thanks for the tip, I hope it will fix the problem!
Old 04-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I worded my words wrong? I was trying to say that if the esc is getting hot there is something wrong and that it could fry or some type of damage could result from it. Thats what I meant to say.
sabohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Wow, glad I read this....I can tell asw27x to stop what he is doing as well as myself.

Asw27x is running a 35T brushed on 3S (for over a year) in a Venom Creeper (AKA, shafty) and I am running a Bully MOA (single CC MM with a servo dig) with 2 brushed 40T motors on 3S.

We can avoid issues as well.......

OK, kidding aside.....I believe there is another issue for the OP.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Got B.E.C.?
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:

You better not tell the 35t Handwound Brood motors I have been running on 4s for the last couple of years. Mamba Max takes it like a champ.

Are you running an external BEC? If not I bet money thats the issue.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
Were you running the holmes hold? Mine made those same noises, but when i just ran regular drag brake settings, no heat or noise. That was at 213%, just not holmes hold.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
Got B.E.C.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
Are you running an external BEC? If not I bet money thats the issue.

According to his first post, he is running a CC BEC.
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #17

Here are some news:
I tried yesterday what was mentionned and replaced the 213% crawler drag brake with a 50% drag brake. I could run my 2200mah 3S fully without over heating the esc which stayed at "worst " warm. I wasn't on my usual course, and the place was much more tame so maybe that's also why it didn't heat.

I'll see tomorrow on a harder course if it still doesn't heat.
The hold is still good at 50% drag brake on forward. but if i reverse , the hold isn't that great (I know i'm not supposed to reverse...)
Old 04-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I'm having the exact same problem. I run a 7t puller, with a 3 cell, and a BEC. Never had a problem with a revolver brushless. I'm calling castle in the morning.

1 : Brake/Reverse Type
Option 3 : Forward/Brake/Reverse

2 : Brake Amount
Option 4 : 100%

3 : Reverse Amount
Option 4 : 100%

4 : Punch Control
Option 5 : Disabled (D)*

5 : Drag Brake
Option 5 : 40%

6 : Throttle Dead Band
Setting 4 : Very Small - 0.0500 ms

7 : Voltage Cutoff
Option 2 : Auto-Lipo
Or
Option 5 : 9

8 : Motor Timing
Option 1 : Lowest

9 : Motor Type
Option 2 : Brushed Reversing
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #19

I contacted CC last week and still haven't received any news. I dropped them another email yesterday.

After trying the drag brake at 50% it seemed to be better , but once i really tried on my usual crawling spot, it appeared that it made no difference with the 213% one. The esc heated fast , glitched and cut.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I'll post up here what I find out. I hope they aren't closed tomorrow for good friday.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote