Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: I need some schoolin....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default I need some schoolin....

My problem is with a slash sensorless motor combo, but I figure this problem could apply to a lot of situations.

Anyway, have a slash with an Orion "Experience" motor/esc combo (3750kv)
Ran it down at the lake a month or so ago, suddenly the motors spins but the truck is'nt moving. I'm thinking I just trashed a gear in the tranny, put it on my workbench and forgot about it. No biggie.
Yesterday I get around to "fixing" it, turns out the tranny is fine. But The motors is cogging like hell, stuttering and having a seisure, and everything is getting real hot, real fast. Motor, esc, battery. All the way down the line.
Tore down the motor and cleaned everything. Reassembled and it does the same thing, it might run O.k. for a couple of revs then starts coggin like crazy, and the heat builds up quick. I figure this thing must be kinda shorting to ground somewhere. Found a small patch of torn heat sink tubing, which I repaired with liquid electrical tape. Same results. I checked the rotor, and there is a small nick on one side. Could be a nick, or just a timing mark, I dunno.
Honestly I don't know enough about brushless motors to know what is "normal" or not. Honestly when my novak combo acted up, it was pretty easy to tell that the timing was getting weird, and it was fairly easy to troubleshoot and fix. But with this sensorless system, i am totally in the dark, but it exhibits a lot of the same symptions as a timing issue.
Help!

Here's a couple of bad photos of my rotor/motor

brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Wow, no replies and 3 pages buried already, I guess I was about as clear as mud in my little story
Anyway just to keep it simple, anybody have any links on how a Sensorless system really works?

I'm relatively O.K. with how a sensored system operates, but with this thing, I'm just not 100% sure the problem is with the esc or the motor. Just need to figure it out before I start throwing money at this thing.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

From the way i understand brushless works off 3 phases (hence 3 wires) and power switch from each phase to the next to get it moving etc.

With the stutter it has lost a phase, so either on the motor or the ESC a phase is not working properly. That's why its stuttering like crazy and getting really hot.

Have you got a spare BL motor to test?
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDELOAD View Post
From the way i understand brushless works off 3 phases (hence 3 wires) and power switch from each phase to the next to get it moving etc.

With the stutter it has lost a phase, so either on the motor or the ESC a phase is not working properly. That's why its stuttering like crazy and getting really hot.

Have you got a spare BL motor to test?

o.k., this is starting to make sense... I dont have a spare motor, however. I guess I can either find another motor to test with, or I wonder if I can test this with a meter?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

There is a BL test meter you can buy for motors that should see if it has a dead phase.
But the only way to test the esc as far as i know is to hook a motor up to it.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote