Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 8000 mah lipo charging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 8000 mah lipo charging

I just got an 8000 mah 3s lipo with a slash I bought .I have a triton eq charger that the setting only goes to 5000 mah. The guy I got the truck from said thht he had the same charger and it would keep charging till the battry was done. is this right or am I going to have to get a diffrent charger?
broncoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

It will keep charging. The charge stops when it hits a certain voltage which is based on battery type & number of cells, NOT the mah rating. The mah rating determines charge rate.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
cherry bomb

I use a triton EQ aswell, when you change the "mah" when you adjust charge settings your are changing the charge rate (shows in mah to make it idiot proof)
charging that 8000mah at 5000mah (5amps) will be fine. it'll stop once it is fully charged.

you could charge it at 1000mah (1amp) if you really wanted, would just take forever, but it could and would fully charge an 8000mah pack.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Are you guys sure about that? I haven't checked it , but am under the impression that it will stop at the full mark or the max capacity (whichever comes first) Maybe it really isn't a "capacity" setting and is ONLY a "rate" setting.
floogldood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:52 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by floogldood View Post
Are you guys sure about that? I haven't checked it , but am under the impression that it will stop at the full mark or the max capacity (whichever comes first) Maybe it really isn't a "capacity" setting and is ONLY a "rate" setting.

Nope, They are correct it will charge
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by floogldood View Post
Yes....we are sure........As I stated in post 2, the mah setting is the charge RATE, not the max charge. It is a voltage rolloff thing the charger looks at. It knows the type & cells of the battery, thus it knows the finish voltage. When it sees a voltage change, it stops the charge.

Do you have a small mah pack? Run it down, put it on the charger but set the charger to a mah value LESS than the pack is. Say a 1500mah pack, put it on charge but set the mah in the charge to 1000mah and start the charge. See what happens.

note: most chargers also have a "timeout" function, so on a slow charge but large battery, you may "timeout" before the pack is full (usually 120 minutes or 2 hours). That is a different issue though.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I agree with these guys. Setting the mah rating on the charger is just a dumbed down way of setting the charge rate. Chargers are set to charge at 1c so setting it to 1000mah will tell the charger to charge at a maximum of 1 amp. I charge my 360mah airplane packs at 2c so i set the charger to 700mah to achieve this.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Some chargers have a safety built into them. My Hyperion 606i AC/DC does. If I charge at 200mah, it will only put a max of 220mah into the pack, no matter what the voltage is. It's a safety so you don't overcharge the pack and make something go boom. If the pack can't take anymore energy and it hasn't hit it's full voltage (problem with a cell possibly), it will keep charging even though it might see it's capacity mark but not it's voltage.

I'm sure not all chargers are like this but some of them are just so you might know.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

It's not like its our personal opinion on the matter, It is FACTS.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Some chargers have a safety built into them. My Hyperion 606i AC/DC does. If I charge at 200mah, it will only put a max of 220mah into the pack, no matter what the voltage is. It's a safety so you don't overcharge the pack and make something go boom. If the pack can't take anymore energy and it hasn't hit it's full voltage (problem with a cell possibly), it will keep charging even though it might see it's capacity mark but not it's voltage.

I'm sure not all chargers are like this but some of them are just so you might know.
My Hyperion EOS 5idp definitely doesn't have that, um, "feature". How would you charge a big Pb battery?
Old 04-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

most chargers you can set to detect voltage or set it to stop at mah
dracbec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by It usually runs fine View Post
It's not like its our personal opinion on the matter, It is FACTS.

and simple math, physics, etc....I 4th 5th..what ever it is up to...will have no problem charging the 8000 to its full 8000 mAh. Simple math like..if charged at 1A..thats 1A per hour..will take 8 hours to get to fully charge the 8000mAh, no matter what the voltage is. .5A will take 16 hours.

Quote:
Some chargers have a safety built into them. My Hyperion 606i AC/DC does. If I charge at 200mah, it will only put a max of 220mah into the pack, no matter what the voltage is.
no, if you charge at 200mAh, you are setting the rate of charge at .2A per hour, so in escense you are correct...but it will not stop once the battery takes in 200mA... like in this case... .2A charging a 8000mAh battery, it would take like 24 hours.

Last edited by squatch71; 04-17-2011 at 12:48 PM.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
no, if you charge at 200mAh, you are setting the rate of charge at .2A per hour, so in escense you are correct...but it will not stop once the battery takes in 200mA... like in this case... .2A charging a 8000mAh battery, it would take like 24 hours.
You are right and wrong in this. Your math is out but the principle behind it is sound. No argument there. But when I charge the pack that goes into my radio, I charge at 200mah. It put's in 220mah and shuts off. It's an over charge limit. I have to do this process a couple of times to get a full charge into my pack. Like was stated above, this isn't opinion, this is fact. I have done this personally so I know what happens. If you have somewhere to host the video, I will tape it for you and you can watch it for yourself.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If you have somewhere to host the video, I will tape it for you and you can watch it for yourself.
Ummm, Since 2005 there has been this little website that allows you to upload an unlimited number of videos. You can find it at www.youtube.com

Last edited by Calderwood; 04-17-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

well, up to 10 minutes...unless my math is off on that as well.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Oh lord..
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote