Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: what servo is cool these days?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default what servo is cool these days?

soo long story short, its been well over a year (almost 2) since i have built or even used one of my crawlers, just been to busy with life and all the other things in it.. so today i pulled out my axial based tuber and gave er hell. needless to say im rusty as a toyota in an ocean side city and it took me about 5 min to strip out the gears of my hs645 lol go figgure, my other truck has a jr 8711 and as i recall these were the cats ass back on the day. is it worth buying a second one? or is there better available for the money these days?

sorry for the newb like posting, but after my hiatus i sure feel like one

set up is, tekin fxr, 35t hw, CC bec, with 3s... so i should have the power to run most any thing...

thanks
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Hitec 7950 =Torque oz./in. (6.0V/7.4V): 403 / 486

Hitec 7980= Torque oz./in. (6.0V/7.4V): 500 / 611

Last edited by BFGcrawler418; 04-22-2011 at 08:48 PM.
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

the jr8711 is still a great servo same with the 9100t and the hv versions. also there are the hitec 7950, 7954(more budget friendly), and the big dog 7980, futaba is coming out with a new one real soon to compete with the 7980 in torque values for about the same cost. so it really depends on what brand you favor and your budget
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
cherry bomb

hs7954 is an awesome servo for the money, can be had for about $80 shipped online both my XR and AX were running them, I just sold one to upgrade to a 7950 in the XR, really cant go wrong with either. depends what your willing to spend.

if you like that JR servo, there's no reason not to go with another, they are still great servo's
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

well i dont really follow a brand and id like to stay under 200 for just the servo (excluding shipping etc) so it looks like the 7890 will be a top pic, more torque then the 8711 and about 50 bucks cheaper, seems reasonable to me haha
Old 04-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_monkey View Post
well i dont really follow a brand and id like to stay under 200 for just the servo (excluding shipping etc) so it looks like the 7890 will be a top pic, more torque then the 8711 and about 50 bucks cheaper, seems reasonable to me haha
I bought my hitec 7950 from CKRCcrawlers.com for $119 If you want serious power go with the 7980, bigger is always better
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Just to let you know the 7980 has a bigger foot print. So make sure it well fit.
2manytickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manytickets View Post
Just to let you know the 7980 has a bigger foot print. So make sure it well fit.
7980 is a much larger servo so definately make sure it'll fit in your car.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

hmmm maybe i will hit up the LHS to check out what will and wont work for me, then price shop on the interweb..

its goin on an axial front axel, off set to the side... so plenty of room i would figure?
Old 04-23-2011, 01:08 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
hmmm maybe i will hit up the LHS to check out what will and wont work for me, then price shop on the interweb..

its goin on an axial front axel, off set to the side... so plenty of room i would figure?

Not to be rude, but I can't stand when people come in the hobby shop, figure out what will work in their rig, then go home and order it online. That's how hobby shops go out of business. Then you have to wait 2 weeks to have a readily available part shipped to your door.

Back on topic. I had a Hitec 7980TH servo in my Savage and it was a monster. I'm going to try running a similar servo in my scale rig one of these days. Nice part about the Hitec 7980TH is it's a digital servo (programmable), water/dust/fuel proof and has a built in heatsink.
xxCARLSONxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:27 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Lots of choices....we just had a similar discussion in our local club... http://www.gsrcrc.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=64495

I believe Hobby King & Tower Hobbies sell "relabeled" HiTecs as well. I can't think of the brand off hand. I think it's Hobbico.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:29 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Surprised the Futaba 9157 hasn't been mentioned (425 in-oz @ 6v). My primary comp rig has a JR 8711 that's a couple years old and it's still going strong.

While I've not used the latest generation of Hitec's (7950, 7980), my personal experience with that brand's earlier high end servos has convinced me to stay away.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:49 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Surprised the Futaba 9157 hasn't been mentioned (425 in-oz @ 6v). My primary comp rig has a JR 8711 that's a couple years old and it's still going strong.

While I've not used the latest generation of Hitec's (7950, 7980), my personal experience with that brand's earlier high end servos has convinced me to stay away.
Actually, in general, HiTec seems to be better than most of the current Futabas used for crawling. Times change.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Default 7980

servocity.com is the cheapest I found my 7980 great servo will move the hole truck if u bind it up real good
superduty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I feel the same way about Hitec. Almost everything from Hitec has blown up as soon as I plug it in, not even getting a chance to set the end points. I stripped out a gear in my Futaba 9157 and the shop that I worked at didn't have the gears or the servo in stock at the time so I bought a Hitec 7950. I got the gears and got the 9157 fixed but I haven't swapped it out yet. Hitec quality seems to improved but so has the price compared to Futaba's stuff. At least at my local shop. In Canadian, the Futaba 9157 is $120. At tower it's $140. CKRC it's $131. The 7950 is $150 at Tower.

I'm still a Futaba guy and will only buy Hitec if I can't get the Futaba.

And I agree with Carlson. You take the shops time to help you out and then go order online? That's kinda snakey. If my local shop is $50 out on a servo, fine go ahead and order online. But I highly doubt that a servo will be cheaper than your LHS by the time you factor in shipping. Especially since you're in Canada and shipping up here always takes longer and is a few bucks more.

Last edited by Scottmisfits; 04-23-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #16
cherry bomb

the LHS ultimate_monkey is talking about sold me a 7954 for $140, I ordered my second one online for $80 shipped, treat em how they threat you. they take you for a ride, take them for a ride.
on a kinda off topic note, I will only buy items from a hobbyshop if they are in stock (I even dont mind paying more to "have it now" and the price is within reason). if the salesman starts with "we can order that in for you" well guess what. so can I, and it comes straight to my door.

the 7980 is pretty big compared to a "normal" size 1:10 servo, if you have a chance to mock one in place, it would probably be your best bet.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Since you guys are in Canada, follow the link in my sig to PM Hobbies. They are in Calgary so the shipping isn't bad, they have great prices on most things as well. They carry more big brand stuff but for the electronics side of things and spare axle parts and such they're great. Not everything they have is listed on the web so if you want something and can't find it on the site, call them.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Actually, in general, HiTec seems to be better than most of the current Futabas used for crawling. Times change.
Times may change, but 4 out of 5 Hitec's I've had are dead, and that fact will not change. I've never had a Futaba or JR go bad that wasn't due to my abuse. The Hitec's I've had just slowly start making the entire rig randomly glitch, until it's so bad its undrivable. Maybe I'm really unlucky when it comes to Hitec stuff. But I've made the decision to not use them anymore. Your experience may vary.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Times may change, but 4 out of 5 Hitec's I've had are dead, and that fact will not change. I've never had a Futaba or JR go bad that wasn't due to my abuse. The Hitec's I've had just slowly start making the entire rig randomly glitch, until it's so bad its undrivable. Maybe I'm really unlucky when it comes to Hitec stuff. But I've made the decision to not use them anymore. Your experience may vary.
You have your experiance, I have mine.
I only have used Futaba servo's in my off road buggy & 12th/10th pan cars. Every once in a while I might tear one up, but not often. My son & I run HiTecs in our crawlers, as do most of our crawling club, with good success.

Not saying you're wrong, you've just had a different experiance than I.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxCARLSONxx View Post
Not to be rude, but I can't stand when people come in the hobby shop, figure out what will work in their rig, then go home and order it online. That's how hobby shops go out of business. Then you have to wait 2 weeks to have a readily available part shipped to your door.

oh dont get me wrong, i buy from my LHS, but when it comes to electronics they droped the ball, in some casses they literally are 2x the price, last time i was in there they were asking like 80 bucks for a hs645.. rpp = 30 bucks..

you want to needlessly spend money thats fine. if they are within 10-20 bucks of market price then i will buy from them, if they want me to cut my balls off to afford somthing they should rething their buisness plan. id doesnt help they have the manoploy for any one not wanting to drive an hour to the next HS