Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What can I expect moving down to 2S?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default What can I expect moving down to 2S?

I have an AX10 with a Novak Goat 3S and 18.5 motor, the older model. I have been running 3S and it seemed to run hot and go into thermal protection. I was told it could be binding gears so I swapped out the R2 dig for a stock gearbox.

Seams to have helped a little but the constant sporadic glitching continued. I added a CC BEC for what reasons I don't remember.

I'm thinking if I jump down to a 2S lipo, it might fit better on the rear axle than the 3S 2200s I run now and it might run slightly cooler.

What is a mAh amount that will give me around 30 min of run time?
evlwevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
D-Wray 4 Prez!

I'd say about 1600.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

thanks, Im going to be around a bunch of hobby shops and I wanted to pick up a few batteries.
evlwevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
RCC Addict

So you have the 3s Goat with the silver 18.5 motor? Should be able to run 3s fine, what's your gearing, radio and how high is your drag set? Check the sensor harness for damage also. Do you use a fan?
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Lower voltage will draw more current so you end up running hotter. It will also be about 30% slower so you'll want to gear up to get that extra speed back thus creating more heat.

As THE wise man says time and time again, QUOTE "Volt Up - Gear Down" UNQUOTE.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRoo View Post
Lower voltage will draw more current " UNQUOTE.
Depends how you look at it. If you want the same power output lower voltage will draw more current. In this case though lower voltage will draw less current.

The resistance of your motor isn't changing so if you lower the voltage you'll lower the current..... less heat, less speed. V=IR.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, if you ONLY change the voltage, then the current will go down too. If you lower the voltage, and use a lower turn motor (or change the gearing) to get the same amount of power, then the current will go up.
Stregone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I would figure out why everything is getting so hot and fix that. People on here use the same ESC and Motor on 3s all the time without problems.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:58 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I had this issue with a ballistic goat 3s and it ended up being a short in the motor that would cause it to overheat after a few minutes of running. It would continue to run just fine until the ESC thermal protection kicked in, so maybe check that out. Novak kept saying it was my pinion that I was using so maybe try that and see if it helps? Drop it down a few teeth and see what happens, can't hurt, right? But what can you expect? My spare batteries are 2s and I only notice decreased run time and less wheel speed. Motor temps stay about the same (within 15* of the 3s packs) but other than that, it's the same set up.
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I never had heat issues with my goat 3s and ballistic 18.5 combo. It ran VERY cool regardless if i was running 3S or 2S. The main difference i noticed was slower vs. faster. This was in a Losi Comp Crawler which has more resistance than the axial setup. I did have issues with it glitching, but i "want to" say that was from the AM RX. Ended up having issues with the Goat and sent it back, in the mean time i bought a CC MMP. I run my Novak Ballistic Brushless with the CC MMP and it runs the motor hotter than the Goat did, but it has been very, very reliable.
concretejungle is offline   Reply With Quote