Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 5 channel, 6 channel??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 5 channel, 6 channel??

Well I have this project that is going to require a 5 or 6 channel radio. My experience with these radios are limited to my e-flite blade heli controller. anyways I am going to do my best to describe what I am trying to do. I need 2 servos to move like the throttle servo on a heli, when I turn it I need it to stay where it is instead of returning to center like a steering servo. I am sure there is a simple way to say that. Also I need 1 servo to operate like a standard steering servo by returning to center. Then on top of that I need to operate a esc and 1 steering servo. I know that is confusing, What I am building is a truck with a turret mounted on it. It is for wild life filming. the turret will have a camera on it. It will sit at rest looking down with one servo lifting it up but staying when I release the controls, the second servo will rotate the turret but also stay when I release the controls. on top of all this i need to control a standard R/C truck underneath it. I know this sounds crazy confusing and I want to say thank you in advance, you guys know everything though and I know someone will be able to get me going in the right direction. Thank you again.
Silversamps85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I forgot to mention the last servo on the turret that is to operate like a standard steering servo, this is to pull a sting to release a cover in a den. Its a long story but I have been using R/C trucks to get some awesome shots that otherwise I wouldn't have gotten.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

It sounds like you need something like this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8992

It has plenty of channels and has some controls that do not return to center. It also has three knobs that can be assigned to channels. These stay where you put them (no spring return).
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

That looks perfect, so now the only question is who is gunna teach me how to use the damn thing? haha, Thanks for the response, price is right also.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

only problem is they are back ordered. What features on this tell me it has knobs with no spring return, I am just wondering if I can find another similar remote. thanks
Old 05-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Got Worms?

Um yes, and they always are on backorder. their backorder list is huge, i get stock notifcations in and they'll get 1000 units in but will still be in back order, or only have a few extra's

Here is something that can work as well with some slight mods http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-ct6b-r6b-radiosystem.html

Mods are simple, mounting a pot, moving some rtc components around. If you want to mod it i'll try and guide you through it, or i'd be willing to mod it for you, fairly cheap. I've modded a few of these for others, and i have build a couple pistol grip radios with them too, so i have lots of knowledge on their inner workings.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversamps85 View Post
That looks perfect, so now the only question is who is gunna teach me how to use the damn thing? haha, Thanks for the response, price is right also.
I have one of these transmitters. Fairly simple to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversamps85 View Post
only problem is they are back ordered. What features on this tell me it has knobs with no spring return, I am just wondering if I can find another similar remote. thanks
Get yourself a login to that site and there is a link next to the product that you can click so that they will send you an email when it is back in stock.

The other cool feature about this transmitter is that it has model memories and saves end points etc so that makes it nice to use.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I can not provide any help, however please update with progress as well as pictures you get with this thing. Ultra cool man, ultra cool!
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I will update for sure, I have the frame built, wheel base is about 38 inches !! its huge! running jumbo kongs but I have some rock crushers I may bolt on, Thanks for the help!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Look into a DX6i, each channel is fully mixable and with a bit thinking you can set limits for each toggle switch to act like an on and off switch. I use this Tx on all of my rigs, I personally can't stand a pistol grip Tx.

Forget what joystick is supposed to work a certain function on a heli and make them work for what you want to do, the Tx is extremely flexible.

Last edited by BigSki; 05-07-2011 at 07:53 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I know the radio can do it, its a matter of making it do what I want it to do. The reason I reference the heli is because I have one in my hand and thats the type of control I need over these servos. I am thinking I just need to get my hands on a programmable radio and start messing around. Considering I do need to keep this project within some kind of budget I may just use 2 separate radios all together, one for the camera aspect and one for the vehicle. It would probably be much cheaper.