Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: AE-2 Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default AE-2 Questions.

Hi all, I'm new to the RC crawler world, I picked up a RTR SCX10 trail honcho yesterday with the "new" AE-2 ESC. I'm running a Venom 5000mah 2s LiPO. The AE-2 supposedly has a LiPO cutoff built in but I'm having a very hard time finding much info on it. What voltage does it cutoff at? I noticed my truck was a little down on power so I hooked the battery to the charger to discover 1 cell was 3.1v and the other was 2.96v. Shouldn't the ESC have cutoff before it got below 3v?
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

i belive the cut off is when both cells reach 3.0 volts.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

did you purchase it new? if so it is already setup for lipo cutoff,and yes it should have shut down before your voltage went that low.
fastfred28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The cutoff is set to auto from the factory which I believe is 3 volts per cell so 6 volts for a 2S lipo. Did you happen to leave your battery plugged in for an extended period before charging it? Even when the ESC is switched off it continues to draw power unless the battery is physically unplugged.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes I purchased it new so cutoff should be enabled. I do not leave it plugged into the truck for extended periods of time. As stated I had been running the truck for a while, noticed it was a little low on power (instead of slipping the clutch when bound up, it would stall) and then put it on the charger. I've heard actual damage doesn't occur until closer to 2.5 volts, thoughts?. I'm thinking about picking up a Castle Link so I can up the cutoff voltage a bit since the ESC has no way of motoring each cell individually and 1 of the cells can dip below 3v before it cuts off. Also I assume it physically cuts power from the truck right? Or does it beep or something?
Old 05-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

LiPO cutoffs will kill the rig when the TOTAL voltage runs too low. Thus, a single cell may be lower & be damaged.
You are correct, a LVC does NOT know the individual cell voltages.
If you balance charge the packs most of the time, you will have a heads up when one is going off.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Castlelink would be a good investment you might be able to find a hobby shop that would adjust it for you. I'm pretty sure Tammies Hobbies in Beaverton would do it, they are the best hobby store in the Portland/Vancouver area for crawler/scaler parts. The esc cuts power to the motor but allows the servo to keep working.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbid89 View Post
Castlelink would be a good investment you might be able to find a hobby shop that would adjust it for you. I'm pretty sure Tammies Hobbies in Beaverton would do it, they are the best hobby store in the Portland/Vancouver area for crawler/scaler parts. The esc cuts power to the motor but allows the servo to keep working.
I actually bought everything from Tammies I think I'll just buy my own castlelink
Old 05-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HahnsB2 View Post
I think I'll just buy my own castlelink
A wise decision.