Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: tekin fxr?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default tekin fxr?

Just installed mine w tekin 35t pro motor on 3s

What pinions u guys running to prevent thermal shut down.. mine keeps doing it but only when steering is bound up. Do you have to activate the bec or no? its acting like the stock axial electronics plz help.
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohecrawler View Post

What pinions u guys running to prevent thermal shut down.. mine keeps doing it but only when steering is bound up. Do you have to activate the bec or no? its acting like the stock axial electronics plz help.
It most likely is going into thermal because your servo is drawing to many amps for the internal bec to handle. More than likely a bec will always be a good idea to run in a crawler.

What vehicle are you running it in as that will help others help you on gearing.
ax-10 crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
RCC Addict

More likely it's overgeared and when in a bind you have the volt gate open but it doesn't have anywhere to go so it heats up the FETs.

The internal BEC will not cause it to thermal because as you increase the voltage you decrease the current (amperage). Without an external BEC the servo can pull enough current to starve the receiver but not thermal. That only happens when you overheat the power transistors (FETs).
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
RCC Addict

It a scx10 based scaler. Only 7 lbs ill look onto different steering setups to reduce the power it takes to steer. I'm not sure if its thermal overload or not it just is doing what the stock axial electronics do when the steering is bound which is the truck wont do anything till u reset the steering.. ill try to get some more info to further help.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

You need an external BEC. Check out the Castle Creations 10a BEC.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:45 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
You need an external BEC. Check out the Castle Creations 10a BEC.
currently looking into it thx..

i noticed according to the real time thermal tracking that if i sit with the steering at full lock for any period of time the temp goes all to 6 flashing led's.... so gonna try an external bec to eliminate the esc all together for powering the servo... to keep the temps down also gonna switch to a 17 or 18t pinion... im gonna lose some wheelspeed but in the end i think it will be worth it.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

you need a External BEC. I ran into the same problem with mine a few weeks ago. I'm running the FXR, 35t HH on 3s. The FXR kept shutting down, installed the BEC for the servo and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

Zack
YJJPWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
currently looking into it thx..

i noticed according to the real time thermal tracking that if i sit with the steering at full lock for any period of time the temp goes all to 6 flashing led's.... so gonna try an external bec to eliminate the esc all together for powering the servo... to keep the temps down also gonna switch to a 17 or 18t pinion... im gonna lose some wheelspeed but in the end i think it will be worth it.
It also sounds like you need to set the end points on your servo. There shouldnt be much load on your servo when the rig is sitting still with the steering turned.

Depending on the radio you have it should have EPA's (end point adjustments) for each channel. If not you will need to get yourself a servo stretcher (http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-13...cher-V2/Detail) you should be able to find them at just about any hobby shop or online hobby shop.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I think it's the products you have, not very good for your application. I'll just take those off your hands and you can go back to your Novak stuff. Or I'll just trade you my stock axial ESC, HPI 35t motor and Hitech servo.............

Castle BEC should help ya out.
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
It also sounds like you need to set the end points on your servo. There shouldnt be much load on your servo when the rig is sitting still with the steering turned.

Depending on the radio you have it should have EPA's (end point adjustments) for each channel. If not you will need to get yourself a servo stretcher (http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-13...cher-V2/Detail) you should be able to find them at just about any hobby shop or online hobby shop.
I have an airtronix mx-3x I adjusted everything to where the servo no longer struggles but now I don't steer as sharp. I'm getting the bec to alleviate everything..
Old 05-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:

I have an airtronix mx-3x I adjusted everything to where the servo no longer struggles but now I don't steer as sharp. I'm getting the bec to alleviate everything..
Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Just adjust it until it hits a mechanical stop (aka it cant physically turn any farther) and just back it off a little bit so you dont burn out your servo. The extra steering is not worth re buying all your electronics every couple months...
Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 AM   #13
RCC Addict

castle bec installed works like charm and can still turn the way i want it to. esc does not heat up not one bit! thanks castle creations!!

and thank you all for your help!!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

On 3s the BEC is already working hard to drop down the voltage. This coupled with a bound up crawler with a high torque servo will "amp out" the bec and will cause it to run hot/thermal.

You made the correct change by adding a seperate bec.
Randy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: tekin fxr?

I've had the the same issue with mine in my KOH Jeep. I had some 2S batteries and went that route since it crawled better. Now Ive got this set up in my SCX F350 still on 2S with a 35T motor geared 16/87t and my servo is a Hobbico CS170. It worked fine in the KOH but in the F350 I get glitching ever so often and occasionally just quits working. Tonight I plugged in some LEDs into the RX and drove it for maybe 20 minutes. The ESC up and quit on me and it was flashing all LEDs and it was almost hot to the touch. I'm not sure what the deal is now. I checked the manual and it says with all lights flashing is lose of signal. But I'm not sure how that's possible when it worked fine before it shut off. Any help would be appreciated.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:46 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Will it calibrate? Are you running an external BEC? I doubt you are thermaling on 2s, none of mine thermal on 3s.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

no external BEC. I haven't tried to reprogram it.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Try to calibrate it...

Does it chime when you turn it on?

Either way you need an external BEC.