Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: winding a motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #201
Quarry Creeper

I have a question. Is one wind equal to one turn? ie a 12turn motor will have 12 winds around each stator. I am 15 and am now wanting to rewind some 540size 55turn lathe motors to 30-35turns for my super... Also about what gauge wire should I use, or do I need to eyeball it?:? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
sorry if this question was already asked or answered.

Last edited by jeepcreep; 07-04-2009 at 05:31 PM.
jeepcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2009, 12:48 AM   #202
Rock Crawler

thread from, the dead, but there is a lot of good info here.

im planning on winding my own motor for my drag car. its a 12 cell (nimh) microswitch car and it will see very short runs. im thinking id wind a 10 turn and see how things go. i found the radio shack motor wire (its actualy called "magnet wire set", however the largest wire is 22g, im guessing ill need something much larger to keep the motor from bursting into flames. i dont seem to be able to find anything larger for magnet wire, what else would i be able to use???
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:08 AM   #203
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You can double the strands and do a 10t double, or search google for magnet wire.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #204
Rock Crawler

john how do we double the strands do you have a pic . thanks
Tklan Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #205
Rock Crawler

would 22g be ok for a 10t double??? i guess if it doesnt look like enough wire i could always do a 10t tripple or quad, just looks like more of a pain to do.

what would you recommend for wire gauge for a 10t single??? thinking about it there is an electronics store not far from my shop, ive bought weird things from before, id be they have magnet wire there. im just not sure of what gauge id need.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #206
Quarry Creeper

bump. how do we do the double strand or more? have a few old integy v11s i would like to experiment with. Also is there a place to get new magnets?
456heinbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #207
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You just wind two strands together at once.

Im not up on the wire gauges that would be needed for specific turns. Every arm is different. Getting replacement magnets isn't easy either, not in the age of brushless motors.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #208
I wanna be Dave

hey John,,everyone,,i pretty much just read the whole thread and i might have missed it but i dont think so,,what i am talking about is in part of the prep for rewinding,,,back in the day rewinding motors we couldnt always get mag wire in certain bulk lengths,,but we could get short 12-20 foot spools

i started rewinding 2 of my 55t lathe motors down to 45t's tonight,,the thing i didnt see is making sure you have enough wire of whatever guage to do the wind. if you want to do one continuous wind then you can use this easy overkill formula

length of stator X pi x # of turns / 12 gives length in feet for a complete continuous wind

my case was this stator 0.75" long multiplied by 3.124 = 2.343" multiplied by number of turns(45 x 3 = 135) = 316.305" divided by 12 (12 inches a foot) = 26.36 feet,,,this will be more than what is needed but it will keep you from being short on wire. this means that each stator will take a little less than 8.77 feet of wire.

so in my case i need 2-40 spools of 22awg mag wire to rewind both of my 55t's down to 45t's
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #209
I wanna be Dave

i just finished winding and reassembling the front (now 45t) motor and put it back in the truck and tried it out, it works great,,about 30% faster than the rear (stock 55t)
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #210
Quarry Creeper

John, have you thought of selling some modded Micro motors? the losi micros suffer from no low speed controll, in part due to the tranny, but mine is smoothed out and still have trouble with the motor being to fast.

something to think about, not sure if you have had a chance to look at these yet.

but perhaps if we had a better crawler motor, we would be in good shape!

I am trying to rewind mine at the moment, but these are small and I have never wound before. think im gonna need the smallest wire i can find.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:01 AM   #211

Hey guys, awesome thread... This is something I've been very interested in learning about. I do have a question though... I don't currently have any motor's that I can tear apart and rebuilt and I'm wondering if I go out and buy a couple of motors, what should I be buying if I plan to rewind my armatures?
theNord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #212
dnf

man lots of info,lots of reading

Last edited by rock hard; 03-17-2010 at 10:10 PM.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:29 PM   #213
dnf

forgive me if I overlooked it.I read this all not long ago.

but I'm looking for the methode to use for when I epoxy and bake the arm after I have acomplished a good hand wind.

Last edited by rock hard; 04-09-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #214
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
When hitting such high rpms, epoxy-ing the winds and balancing the armature is definatly needed. A popsicle stick can help pack the winds in without harming the enamel coating as well. It helps keep it together and tight.

epoxy-ing the winds,how?thats the question.
brush on I assume,bake in a oven at ? temp for ? long.
what epoxy?
Old 04-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #215
Rock Crawler

Okay just curious if anyone as thought of this but what if you had a direct drive to the axle but only needed to turn one 2.2 tire wheel combo. I have not seen any axles that would lend to this idea but if you could run a motor on each wheel would a high wind motor have enough umph to do it.
Grimreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #216
Rock Crawler

i quickly ran some math here based on my own setup, which is
-35 turn, around 1500kv
-3 cell lipo (nominal 11.1v)
-final drive ratio at 56:1 (includes spur/pinion ratio, tranny ratio and axle ratio)

35 turn on 11.1 volts is 16650rpm. divide that by the final gear ratio of 56:1 gives you 297rpm wheel speed. to run on 3s you would need a motor thats 27kv. i dont think its possible to build a motor that slow and still have fine control over it.

as the saying goes, volt up and gear down. a motor that will rev and you need to gear down will be more efficient.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #217

I failed hard at winding my own motors. I had the hardest time trying to solder the wire to the comm. it would work, but then fail almost as soon as i got the motor spinning. my windings stayed nice and tight though. good learning experience. I learned to just buy motors haha.
bigd003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #218
I wanna be Dave

What kinda flux and solder were you using? What type of iron? None of it is really stuff the normal hobbyist has.

You need a BIG powerful iron with a nice big tip.......the solder is a special high silver content high temp solder......and the flux is actually acid core.

Rock Hard.....you actually wanna dip the arms....the epoxy we use is special crap thats not very cheap and can only be bought 2 gallons at a time......I guess you might be able to get something else to work.....I'll look around and see if there is anything else that might work...

We preheat our arms at 325 for 90 minutes......dip, wipe......put back in....every 5th arm, we flip the arm over so it doesn't drip(wiping again if needed).....I then bake them for 3 hours at 325....

Would there be interest in a winding kit? The right flux, solder, wire, bare arm and epoxy?

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #219
dnf

thanks eddie,as far as the kit goes,are all arms the same in the 540 world?

I have 2 different 380's,the arms aren't the same.
the cans are the same diam. but one has thinner magnets.
so the stator is a larger diam.

and wire,if i'm using a low wind,I would want to use a larger diam. wire,right?

someone explained it like this." a fire hose "
the bigger the hose=more water
so a lower turn leaves more room in the arm for a larger diam wire=more power
is this theory make sence

or is one size wire basically work for most all winds.

but the epoxy and the acid flux
Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #220
I wanna be Dave

Well, in theory, any RC based 540, the arm will interchange......there is basically two companies who made brushed 540 based motors for the RC world.....Tokoyomechs and Sagami.....Tokoyomechs built all the trinity stuff, and a couple atlas motors.....sagami built Reedy, Checkpoint, Orion/Peak, Integy/Atlas, etc....

You always want to wrap the BIGGEST wire you can fit really...

So, like a seven turn is usually done with 15.5 or 16, though we did some with 15.....it goes up from there, as you will never fit 15 on a 13t....

I posted what wire we use on most winds in the cutting a comm thread....you guys may find you need to drop a whole size down since yer not winding with the correct tools......it's not gonna end up perfect, so you may need the extra space to make it fit....

The epoxy is expensive.......can only buy it 2 gallons at a time.....

Solder, you have choices, but expect to pay $40+ a roll for it....you want high silver content....

The flux, I gotta go look up the name...its a water soluable acid flux...

And you need a BIG weller iron to get a good joint......your regular iron won't cut it really...

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote