Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: I'm eating servos and dont know why?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default I'm eating servos and dont know why?!

I've got an scx10 and i ran a traxxas 2075 servo in it for around a year with the stock plastic steering. I upgraded to the metal steering links and my servo lasted about a month b4 it stripped the gears. I swapped in a brand new servo and it lasted about 20 minutes! i thought well that sucks, must have had bad gears in it. I then installed the servo from my race slash that i know had good gears and it only lasted 10 minutes! I knew the solid links would be rougher on parts but what gives? I wasnt driving rough and i wasnt turnin while setting still. I've checked for binding in my steering but it just flops around when the servo is disconnected. Any ideas what else to check?
TNBiscuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'm assuming you centered the servo before installing the linkage? The only other thing I could see is your end points letting the servo throw too far? Or of course binding but if you know you're not getting into a tight bind I really dont know what else the issue could be? I had the issue on my Losi 8ight nitro buggy that I used the wrong servo arm so it was spinning around the servo horn when on the ground but if you picked it up it was fine...Could this be a possibility? Are you sure you arent using a servo screw thats too long? I'm just throwing these out there b/c I've done it lol.
M109R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

if your using traxxas plastic geared servos, they strip super easy with real links insted of the plastic noodle that the rtr's come with. get a Hi-tec 645 metals geared servo atleast. I havent had any trouble with the few that i have ran in scx-10s
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

i think you may be right about the metal gears...just didnt think it would be that bad. Also I never thought about my endpoints...is this normally adjustable through the radio or messing with the servo itself...im using a traxxas 2ch transmitter (grabbed all the gear from a slash 4x4 to put together my scx10) thanks for the help.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm not sure on the Trashas Radios if the end points are adjustable or not. You usually have a couple little dials (not the trim) that you can adjust.
M109R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBiscuit83 View Post
but what gives?
What Gives with the metal links? Nothing!!! Put you plastic links back on and the problem will go away.

Just be aware that installing a metal geared servo will probably cause your stock BEC to fail, then you'll need a CC-BEC and then the money pit begins.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRoo View Post
What Gives with the metal links? Nothing!!! Put you plastic links back on and the problem will go away.

Just be aware that installing a metal geared servo will probably cause your stock BEC to fail, then you'll need a CC-BEC and then the money pit begins.
lol no, the money pit begin when i said "wow, that looks fun and i bet its alot cheaper than tryin to keep a short course truck runnin!" Little did I know...

Been neglecting this thing lately so i might need to sink a little money soon. Thanks again.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Cool help i can't find chassey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBiscuit83 View Post
've got an scx10 and i ran a traxxas 2075 servo in it for around a year with the stock plastic steering. I upgraded to the metal steering links and my servo lasted about a month b4 it stripped the gears. I swapped in a brand new servo and it lasted about 20 minutes! i thought well that sucks, must have had bad gears in it. I then installed the servo from my race slash that i know had good gears and it only lasted 10 minutes! I knew the solid links would be rougher on parts but what gives? I wasnt driving rough and i wasnt turnin while setting still. I've checked for binding in my steering but it just flops around when the servo is disconnected. Any ideas what else to check?
i'm a newbee trying to post looking for 1/10 alun. cassy to build a 10 with 1/8 drive off 1/8.
grave 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i'm tying to figuer out how to post
grave 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Did you check your servo horn? Is it stripped? You might need a metal servo horn and metal geared servo so it doesn't happen. I know that was the first thing to fail (servo wise) for me.
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by grave 1 View Post
i'm a newbee trying to post looking for 1/10 alun. cassy to build a 10 with 1/8 drive off 1/8.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote