Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Axial AX-2 Transmitter steering spring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #1

Default Axial AX-2 Transmitter steering spring

My first day out with it a while back, the spring for the steering actually popped off. I liked it, because then I can turn the wheels without them auto-centering...which while crawling, is nice! But the fact that it broke, Im not too happy about.

but...i tore open the remote tonight, and once i pulled the electronics board out of the way, i removed the 3 screws holding the steering wheel on, but didnt want to break it as i couldnt get behind the mount to reapply the spring (if i decide to).

Anyone know how/where the spring setup goes? The part I cant remove is where the screw driver is pointing!

Thanks for the help

d3r3k99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
RCC Addict

i have a older radio here. has a screw in the center of the wheel. maybe there is one there?
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #3

Yeah good call, thats what I was thinking too but didnt want to break anything. Well I decided to try to remove the little black piece anyways and it ended up having a screw under there after all!

So the good news was, I easily figured out how it all hooked up.
Put her back together, and slapped the batteries in.
Now it wont turn on...son of a!!!!

Heres some pics on taking it apart, putting the auto-centering piece/spring back in...

now..to figure out why it wont turn on..but that'll wait since its 1230 at night, and i get up at 0600 lol..shower, bed, then worry about it tomorrow!!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
RCC Addict

maybe a connection came loose?
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1009cucv View Post
maybe a connection came loose?
you hit it on the nose...unfortunately one of the factory wires came undone from the power cable that goes from the batteries, up into the main board (pic below)..I would replace it for a few $ if someone has the cable (maybe a computer store?), but Im hoping HT where I bought it will replace it..doing it through Axial will cost me $10 for s/h and its not even MY fault lol...

And now that I think of it, the controller would stop for breif moments and work again at times, when the car wasnt even binded up (just sitting there). So I tried putting the wire back in (and stripped a tiny bit), but it just wont go in..anyone know how i can re-instert the wire on this specific tip? (see pic)

Old 05-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'm assuming the white wire from the 3 pin plug on the right side? A local hobby shop lilely has the connector for ~$3 in stock. May be a JST connector (similar to some LiPO balance plugs). You need to either replace the pin or remove the pin & solder it back on the wire.
The pin was originally crimped onto the wire.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I'm assuming the white wire from the 3 pin plug on the right side? A local hobby shop lilely has the connector for ~$3 in stock. May be a JST connector (similar to some LiPO balance plugs). You need to either replace the pin or remove the pin & solder it back on the wire.
The pin was originally crimped onto the wire.
yeah that one, I pulled the pin out. Sort of rigged the wire back in (crimped pretty tight) and even heat-shrinked it to keep it solid..but crimping the wire, now the pin is too mutilated to stay in I guess

Id like to just get a whole new pre-made 3pin-3pin altogether because Im losing wire length to play with. I'm going to look online for a replacement length (5-6").

Preciate the help, and both of you were spot on with the issues, I just find out on my own the hard way before I see the answers
Old 05-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #8

Ended up just emailing Axials tech support.
I just want a replacement, but that will take a while to get.
Theres a local comp this weekend i wanna go to but now I cant :(
Old 05-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3r3k99 View Post
Ended up just emailing Axials tech support.
I just want a replacement, but that will take a while to get.
Theres a local comp this weekend i wanna go to but now I cant :(
Really, try you LHS or decent electronics place, they can hook you up. I could do it quick @ home, but NJ is a bit far for you.......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Really, try you LHS or decent electronics place, they can hook you up. I could do it quick @ home, but NJ is a bit far for you.......
yeah, if you can make me one up real quick before Sat, that'd be awesome thanks!

Actually, Scott at Axial came through big time. He replied to my message this morning super fast and is sending out a brand new Radio and including the return shipping label. Axials has yet to disappoint, great customer service! I wont have my rig running this weekend though..but I still might be able to fix it before shipping it back just so i can run it
Old 05-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #11

Update: I did have my rig running! I found an airplane servo extension cable that was like 95% similar to the wiring I needed, spliced it in, and it works! Now I can use mine until the new radio arrives...course Axial's gonna get my radio back with all kinds of wiring jerry rigged, but thats okay
Old 06-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #12

Axial came through..and then some!

Okay so I was starting to get worried...Axial was going to replace my trouble-prone radio with a new one, and Id send mine back. Mine works, but the springs keeps popping off the steering, and the wiring was all jacked up....well that was like...way back in the middle of May.

I finally get my package in the mail today, from Axial!

So the first pic is mine, the second/third pics are what Axial sent... props to Axial for making a customer satisfied and loyal for sure! They sent me the exact replacement radio, receiver, and 4 brand new bronze-colored wheels with bead locks, including the scale hubs and hardware for it. Theyalso included a sticker sheet with some sweet new Axial stickers.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:52 AM   #13
Got Worms?

I don't know how I missed this thread but that seams to be a jst-zh plug. Especially if it was close to a servo comnection, I'd assume you meant spektrum micro connectors...but I may have some of the crimp pins if you need em, or I have all the part #s to get plugs and all in. But I think you had to send this back to axial? If you didn't Lmk, I can get you hooked up
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I was having the problem with a reception issue too. i would drive the truck about 30 feet from me and it would hesitate and stop and go. i'm replacing with a spektrum rx. i just thought id use the rtr 2.4 but it sucks.
Stangrocka is offline   Reply With Quote