Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brushless motor options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Brushless motor options?

Didn't get any response in the general scale section, so deleted that thread and posted up here instead.

Been reading lots of threads on various brushless set-ups people are using on their scalers, but thought it wouldn't hurt to post up to see in general what people are using/recommending. I'm about 99% certain I'll be running a Mamba Max Pro. Motor is the question. Tekin T8? Novak 18.5? One of the SC set-ups? Others? I'm looking for something with wheelspeed, but still good low-end torque in a 9 pound scaler.

One limitation for me are the batteries. Will likely be running on 3s only, and a smaller battery at that, in the 1300mah range (~25C continuous, 35-40C burst). Just don't have the room for the big batteries on any of the rigs I build.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #2

I'm not sure how the Novak 18.5 would run without the Novak Goat ESC, but after my experience with Novaks brushless motors; I would personally stay away. I have had nothing but problems with glitching etc. with the Novak brushless system.
strungoutt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
Defy Gravity

the novak motors are ok, the esc's are the ones that make the issue. you can't run a novak esc and have it behave in crawler mode with another manufacturer or even their standard motors...theres a resistor in the motor that tells the esc that the motor is one of their crawler motors, and without it, you don't get that. the mmp is a great choice, i love mine, only downfall of it is size. as for the motor, that really depends on how much power you really want/need. i enjoy my 17.5 tekin redline, but i'm running a comp rig thats 5 lbs 4 oz. with a vehicle that heavy, you may have to wait for someone that is running one that heavy to chime in. the tekin t8 motors seem to be very popular with the heavy scaler guys, but its a hungry motor as well, need a stout battery.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Didn't get any response in the general scale section, so deleted that thread and posted up here instead.

Been reading lots of threads on various brushless set-ups people are using on their scalers, but thought it wouldn't hurt to post up to see in general what people are using/recommending. I'm about 99% certain I'll be running a Mamba Max Pro. Motor is the question. Tekin T8? Novak 18.5? One of the SC set-ups? Others? I'm looking for something with wheelspeed, but still good low-end torque in a 9 pound scaler.

One limitation for me are the batteries. Will likely be running on 3s only, and a smaller battery at that, in the 1300mah range (~25C continuous, 35-40C burst). Just don't have the room for the big batteries on any of the rigs I build.
If you can wait untill June John Holmes is coming out with a sensored outrunner.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

the novak ballistic 18.5 runs GREAT on the mmp. The glitching is from the Novak ESC.
concretejungle is offline   Reply With Quote