Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: External BEC - plugging in using y-connector?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default External BEC - plugging in using y-connector?

Ok, maybe a dumb electronics question so bear with me Getting the MMP and noticed I'll need an external BEC. No problem. However, with a scaler and 3 channel set-up, I'm running out of room for free ports in the rx (yes, a Futaba 4PL is in the works eventually!). Wondering if you can use a y-splitter servo extension to plug the bec and esc in the same port (still removing the receiver wire on the esc of course)? If not, can the bec share a port with something else, like lights?
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
TSK
Shelf queen

That should work fine. In the BEC sticky, one of the tech threads related to using the Y connectors

**edit** this is the thread
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for that. Now, bear with me, but that looks like the BEC would power just the steering servo, or will it control the voltage of all servos plugged in to the rx? I'd be running 3 servos (front, rear steer and winch), plus esc and lights.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Thanks for that. Now, bear with me, but that looks like the BEC would power just the steering servo, or will it control the voltage of all servos plugged in to the rx? I'd be running 3 servos (front, rear steer and winch), plus esc and lights.
I guess you'll want to just use the Y like you mentioned in your OP, with the red esc wire pulled from the equation. Can you RX handle the load?
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

It will work, but you could end up stalling something if you happen to be using 2 or 3 at the same time.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
I guess you'll want to just use the Y like you mentioned in your OP, with the red esc wire pulled from the equation. Can you RX handle the load?
I think my rx can handle it. Haven't fried one yet running the standard set-up of BEC to rx, removing the one wire on the esc. Guess I'll find out, but I tend to be conservative, running the BEC at 6V.

I'd never be running the winch and rear steer at the same time. But yes, possibly throttle, front steer and rear steer or winch all at once. Guess there's only one way to find out what will happen