Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Wow was this worth it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #1

Default Wow was this worth it

As I had said before my lhs was trying to convince me to get the dx3e instead of the 4pl. Well my 4pl came today and all I can say is wow. My xr10 isn't ready yet so threw it in my mostly stock x10 and it even makes that seem smoother. Ya I know it's all in my head but hey very happy with this unit.

Last edited by efcivic; 05-19-2011 at 01:39 AM. Reason: fat fingers
efcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2011, 05:35 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Its not all in your head. It will be a better radio than your stock radio for several reason. Smoother and better feel to the wheel and the high frame rate of the S-FHSS receiver will make your old servos come to life. Generally the 4PL is one of the best feeling, most comfortable and best balanced radios on the market.

I've been considering getting one so I can keep my 4PKS for racing but with the new updating coming for the 4PKS, I'll wait.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by efcivic View Post
As I had said before my lhs was trying to convince me to get the dx3e instead of the 4pl. Well my 4pl came today and all I can say is wow. My xr10 isn't ready yet so threw it in my mostly stock x10 and it even makes that seem smoother. Ya I know it's all in my head but hey very happy with this unit.

Congratulations on the purchase, you will not be sorry. The 4PL is a great radio.
J
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Proverbial threadkiller

I cheaped out and went with the 2PL (now discontinued at Tower). As usual for Futaba, very smooth feel and great control.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
RCC Addict

remember your LHS will sell you anything to make money , and 99% of the time the teens behind the counter dont know what there talking about. my LHS said they dont sell anything crawler related because they said its just a fad
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #6

I am in the process of deciding on which radio to get. What are your thoughts on the 4pl vs the DX3R?
scbroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbroder View Post
I am in the process of deciding on which radio to get. What are your thoughts on the 4pl vs the DX3R?
4pl. Twice the functionality for the same price.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
4pl. Twice the functionality for the same price.
X2 and I think receivers are cheaper for the 4pl but I might be wrong. Either way you can't beat the 4pl for function and it's dirt simple to program.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I have all 3 of the radios in discussion, DX3E, DX3R and the 4PL. The Spektrums are as good a radio as the Futaba as far as smoothness, control and some people prefer the feel of them. For a basic 3 channel with 3 pos 3rd, the DX3E is HARD to beat for the price, but, for double that you can get the 4PL which is far superior in terms of flexibility, function and programability.

Going cheap on your first 2.4 radio is understandable, but don't hamstring yourself. If you are ever going to consider 4WS or ESC mixing or even multiple winches, just make the jump and get the 4PL. you will not be sorry.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #10

I just ordered one of these

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

when you got a fleet over over 7-8 vehicles it worth a shot, because my older receivers are crapping out plus my controller for the monster trucks crapped out too
Hondatuner92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #11

This may be kinda a stupid question. I'v been out of rc's for a number of years, used to be into helis and planks. Back then the thought was always to buy as much radio as you can, it's better to have features and not use them than need them and not have them, so why does it seem a lot of people are going for cheap radios, no offense to them just wondering.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:08 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
This may be kinda a stupid question. I'v been out of rc's for a number of years, used to be into helis and planks. Back then the thought was always to buy as much radio as you can, it's better to have features and not use them than need them and not have them, so why does it seem a lot of people are going for cheap radios, no offense to them just wondering.
1-Money for most people is tight
2-They haven't been burned by starting with a cheaper radio yet. I'm not saying means it will die, it's that you will likely end up wanting more and then have to buy yet another radio.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #13

Ya I suppose. I just hate seeing people think there getting a deal just to find out it will cost them more in the long run. And ya I got burnt buying multiple radios in the past. Not fun.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #14

Is four a good number of channels to have for a crawler or i more better? or do they not get used....
dcviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
Is four a good number of channels to have for a crawler or i more better? or do they not get used....
It all depends on what you want to run. Just a single motor and servo with no dig or anything then a simple 2ch will work but the features you end up adding the more channels that's needed.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I'm really surprised there is not more people using the RC4WD 4ch radio, the only down side is it doesnt have epa's on the aux. channels but it hasn't been a problem for me! but I love it and IMO its a far better value than the dx3E as you have multi model mem. and rx's are fairly cheap. its also very user friendly as i did not need an instruction manual to figure it out, and it works flawlessly!

now to get a few more rx's as my herd of rigs just grew! (wallet looks brusied, beat, and is crying! )
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #17
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
why does it seem a lot of people are going for cheap radios,

Because back when I bought my 2PL, I had no idea I'd ever have a crawler. Thus, I had no idea I'd ever need channels for rear steering, dig, winch(es), multiple ESC, or any of that such stuff. And being that I have a basically stock AX-10 (rtc), I still have no need for those features. (My eMaxx might have two steering servos, but Futaba makes Y-harnesses, too. Problem solved)

Although I'm fairly certain the 4PK was out then, when I got my 2PL, there was no 3PL, or 4PL. Seriously? It was either a $100ish for a radio that had (has) all I need, or $500ish for more radio than I can use. (Can't remember what they had available for the PM series.)

Seemed like a good idea at the time, I guess. Having the extra channels would be nice, granted, but for me, even a cheapie radio (that works well) would be "good enough."
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:59 AM   #18

Quote:
It all depends on what you want to run. Just a single motor and servo with no dig or anything then a simple 2ch will work but the features you end up adding the more channels that's needed.
im looking at building a scale truck once i get my redcat and have learnt a bit more so if i was going to have a single motor, winch, lights and maybe dig does that mean i need 4 channels?
dcviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:58 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

i have an m11 with fhss-2 and 4ch and it is a fantastic radio

but i still need two more channels for lights and front and rear winch.

what i had to do was 2 wireless winches one front and one rear.

but the light are still on a switch
dmgriff266 is offline   Reply With Quote