Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba Micro Pro or Torque master XL ? for MOA , Berg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Mamba Micro Pro or Torque master XL ? for MOA , Berg

What are you guys liking the best for performance?

On 3S Lipo, Two Brushed 45t motors

Mamba Micro
OR
Torque master

I love the options in my Torque masters but they are so BIG and I do think I will need 4S capability in a brushed motor.

I bought a Micro for my scaler and it runs both Brushed and Brushless and it's the same castle foundation of features which is awesome in such a small package.

Any problems running a MOA or Berg on a Micro ?
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

plenty of people are running 2 micro pros in their bergs, bullys, and xr10s but it isnt a good idea to run 2 motors off one micro pro.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
plenty of people are running 2 micro pros in their bergs, bullys, and xr10s but it isnt a good idea to run 2 motors off one micro pro.
Single esc or dual esc?

I run twin br-xls in my losi moa because i have the space, however it is a real tight fit in MOA chassis.

Holmes is supposed to have a mini version coming sometime this year, so keep that in mind as well.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Single esc or dual esc?

I run twin br-xls in my losi moa because i have the space, however it is a real tight fit in MOA chassis.

Holmes is supposed to have a mini version coming sometime this year, so keep that in mind as well.
DUAL ESC

WHat is a BR xls?
Old 05-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Got Worms?

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...4&cat=2&page=1

the hh esc, same one your thinking of

br-xl's
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

With low time on a CC Micro Pro, I am not happy (yet) with the drag brake compared to a CC MM.
I had been running a CC MM & servo dig on a 2.2 Bully, switched last weekend to a CC MM front ESC & a CC Micro Pro rear ESC and a WannAmix......the rear motor does not lock up like it did before, I may just need to tweak adjustments some more.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

unless you really want to run 4s then I say get the mamba micro's
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Great feed back, thank you. Very interesting to hear, Does your M micro have all the its latest updates?

I suppose it's possible that the cc M micro drag brake may not be as strong as the mamba max, if that is is what you are saying. max is for a 1/10 and the micro for 1/18.

at first I was not happy with my mamba max on my super buggy but then a few updates later it was all good.

I have dual Holmes Torque masters and thinking of selling them, It's a very squashed fit in my custom berg chassis.
Heard it's better than FXR's though. I would not sacrifice performance and tuning just for a smaller esc though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
With low time on a CC Micro Pro, I am not happy (yet) with the drag brake compared to a CC MM.
I had been running a CC MM & servo dig on a 2.2 Bully, switched last weekend to a CC MM front ESC & a CC Micro Pro rear ESC and a WannAmix......the rear motor does not lock up like it did before, I may just need to tweak adjustments some more.

Anybody else have info on Drag brake or other important features on the Mamba Micro?
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I run my micros at 100% brake and 213% drag brake...thats more then enough brake for my driving style..
I sold two BR-XL esc's to get my micros...and while I love the BRXL's...the micro is better suited for a full comp rig IMHO and I dont regret the swap out one bit
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:47 PM   #10
RCC Addict

i use the micro sw´s
a tuber

no problems with 40t motors and 3s lipo
the 200+% crawler drag brake works great
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I've got dual mamba micros in my XR10 running 45t broods and haven't ever had an issue...I've loved em since I installed them. Now I have another pair of them in my berg running 35t HH motors. I run the same 3S 1000mah 40C in both rigs. The XR has great drag brakes...and the ESC's never get warm. The berg is lacking in the drag brake department and the ESC's do get warm after a full pack which is around 35 minutes of runtime. All four ESC's are set with the same programming. Either the difference in gearing in the XR vs. berg axles or the braking ability of the broods vs. HH motors is causing the brakes to not hold as well. The HH motors have very little run time on them so the brushes are nearly full length and the springs are new...obviously...so they shouldn't have any problem holding the rig...but they don't.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:20 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
I've loved em since I installed them.
x2

I'm running 2x Mamba Micro Pros together with 3S lipos and 35t Brood motors on my Bully. Drag brake and throttle response is excellent.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I am running 2 Mamba Mico Pros with 16T 454 Pullers on 3S with no issues in an XR10.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Can you run 2 45t off of a single Holmes XL?
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I have used both in my XR10. Just recently switched to Dual MMPs to save some wieght. i have probably 2 months on the MMPs and performance wise they perform the same as the BRXLs did but a much smaller package. BRXLs can be programmed to have ridiculous braking with the Holmes hold but I never needed it to be that high. Braking on my MMPs is perfect 0 roll back at stop on steep climbs. Both are great I still use Dual BRXLs in my Super Bully and a single one in my scaler and love them. Size is the one benifit the MMP has over the BRXLs. The BRXL can go upto 6s so if you ever plan on going to 4s keep that in mind. You can't really lose either way

Last edited by RCROCIN'; 05-23-2011 at 04:51 PM.
RCROCIN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Yes...I assume you'd be running a Punk Dig or wantAsummit mix controller?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
I'm running 2x Mamba Micro Pros together with 3S lipos and 35t Brood motors on my Bully. Drag brake and throttle response is excellent.
What size battery pack are you running? What kind of heat do your ESC's have after a full battery pack...I'm not looking for anything exact...but is the heat sink warm or hot-ish?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #18

Default brushless to brushed

so with 2 45t brushed motors, wouldnt this only be the equivelant resistance of about a 22t single motor, therefore well within the limits of a mamba esc?
Why do you need to run 2 esc's with these setups? sorry to throw a mild hijack in the thread but I just wanted to get it clear for myself. I am new to trying brushless esc's to brushed motors.
j33p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
Yes...I assume you'd be running a Punk Dig or wantAsummit mix controller?
If this is directed towards me..Thanks, I'll be running a Punk and a BEC.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33p3r View Post
so with 2 45t brushed motors, wouldnt this only be the equivelant resistance of about a 22t single motor, therefore well within the limits of a mamba esc?
Yes, the mamba should be fine by itself. I asked this question to someone at Castle today and they told me the Mamba is fine with 2 45s. I have a V2 sidewinder with 2 45s and it gets too hot. They told me the SW isn't good for running 2 motors but the mamba max is fine with 2.

I'm going with a single torque master for now.
People use 2 escs for options in powering the fronts and the rear separately. But you need at least 4 channels to really take advantage of that. Thats keeping me using one esc for now.