Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Re-purposing my Tekin RS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Re-purposing my Tekin RS

I was just wondering if anyone had done this or might see an issue with what I want to try. I have searched and searched and cant find an instance of anyone doing this.

I am building an XR10 and have already purchased a Punk Dig. I was going to purchase a Tekin FXR when it occurred to me that I have a Tekin RS already laying around. I know they will do brushed motors (I already have a hot wire) Will it push two 35t brushed motors through a punk dig ok? I know it says it has a 10 turn brushed limit when using forward/reverse function but I wasn't sure how much more load the other motor would put on it. Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance

-Aaron

Last edited by ev0l; 05-24-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: derr I r gud spellaar
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i don't know about the punk dig but when you run 2 motors in parallel they draw the same current as one motor with half the winds so two 35turn motors would draw the same as 1 with about 17.5turns hope this helps

Last edited by muddawg; 05-23-2011 at 02:41 PM.
muddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I've tried running a brushed motor w/ my Rs Pro. I had issue's, one of them was no instant reverse. I contacted Tekin about it, they have been working on a Hotwire fix for it
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

This isn't correct..........in most cases you are safe, but its a good way to fry a speed control. 35t motors produce about 90 watts each or so on turbodyno......a 17t will produce about 195....so your safe, however.......a good 19t handwound makes 170+........so, I should be able to run 2 if a speed control is 9t capable right? Hardly......most 9t motors will produce around 300 watts.....your speed controls will go boom....my advice, always email and ask....

A RS is a very capable speed control. It will work fine in your crawler, as it has no power handling limits that I am aware of. The only reason we don't see any RS or RS pros really in crawling is cost and size..........they are HUGE compared to a FXR....but the cost is the big one. I put my RS Pros in my crawler, they worked well, but the weight and size made them impractical so I swapped them out for my fxrs.

Later EddieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddawg View Post
i don't know about the punk dig but when you run 2 motors in parallel they draw the same current as one motor with half the winds so two 35turn motors would draw the same as 1 with about 17.5turns hope this helps
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

It "can" be done but honestly the FXR or FXR Pro is the right esc for the job.
Randy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Well, having already forked out a small fortune on this crawler I'm going to give it a go with the RS since I already have it and it's not being used. If it doesn't work I'll cough up I guess. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

-Aaron
Old 05-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
20K Club

The RS will be good, if not overkill. The FXR's are just use because they are cheaper mostly like Eddie said.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneed View Post
I've tried running a brushed motor w/ my Rs Pro. I had issue's, one of them was no instant reverse. I contacted Tekin about it, they have been working on a Hotwire fix for it
I had the same issue running brushed through an RS.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
I had the same issue running brushed through an RS.
My RS has been working like a champ. Instant on reverse is working like a charm. Even on old firmware.