Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Radio Setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Radio Setup

I have a quick question. Does anyone know of a good 3 or 4 channel stick radio? I know they aren't as popular as the traditional pistol grip but I prefer the way they feel after having used one for a friends heli. I would prefer one that uses 2.4ghz but FM is ok as well. Thanks for any input you guys have on this.
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
Got Worms?

Flyky CT6b Can be found at hobbypartz.com for like $35

I also do a mod service on them which i can do a variety of things.

Here is one i have done

Custom Built Radio: To fit your needs
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:01 AM   #3

I really like the Futaba 4YF. I have one and its older brother and both are very good 4ch dual stick radios. I prefer the voltage indactor on the old one but I am a sucker for analog meters. There is a 2.4ghz version for the same price. So you get a choice. Also Futaba controllers are some of the best out there and have proven themselves time and time again. They are well worth the extra money over the Chinese stuff. At least for me.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=4ch&search=Go
ReaperGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Ok, So after looking around here are the options I've found:

The Fly Sky that losikid suggested
Futaba 4YF
KO Propo Esprit III Universe: http://www.kopropo.com/america/index...d=36&Itemid=90

Airtronics RDS8000 8 CH 2.4G: http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/...y-rds8000.html

I tried to get to the Futaba site but due to goverment web filtering here in afghanistan I can't get to their site. I still need to check JR, but right now I really like the Airtronics radio. I can't imagine what i would need 8 channels for but I'm sure I could find something for them. Right now the most I see myself using would be 3 possibly 4 channels. I would like to put a winch on my wraith eventually (sooner the better) and I would eventually like to get the DIG unit for it as well. So that is 4 channels used. I have some ideas that would need more but nothing that is in the near or mid term time range.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
Got Worms?

spectrum stuff is good too,dx6, dx6i are good canadits

you also have futabe 6ex

As for cheap chinese stuff...all radios are built oveseas (other than mine...well partially built in us). i found a 4pk the other day on a world trade site if you bought 20 4pks you get them for $150 a piece yet they retail for what $400.

Yes the futaba and spektrum stuff probably have american engineers designing them, and yes they probably have better quality control...but i've worked with 15 ct6b's and none of them came in bad condition, one afew of them here were some QC issues but its just little things that bug me, like how something was soldered, mostly because it made it a pita to work with For $ you can't go wrong with a flysky stick radio

Also if flysky was such cheap junk, why would axial be using them as their rtr radio?

Last edited by losikid; 05-25-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

You can look on the Radiolink web site. They have 4 and 6 channels radios used normaly for plane and heli, but they can be easely be used for crawlers. Rear steering, DIG, etc...
Look here on the thread I've opened:
Airplane rodio Radiolink T4EU for 4whells steering?
Big Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

One other question. With a lot of the radios going to 2.4ghz does it still matter if it is a surface or air radio? I know with the FM radios the surface radios used a different frequency range than the air radios. Is this still the case or is 2.4ghz always 2.4ghz
Old 05-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
Got Worms?

i know speky 2.4 air doesn't bind to speky 2.4 ground...but 2.4 is 2.4 your allowed to run em how ever you want.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

So that has me wondering now, why not just get an 8 channel Aircraft radio? Then when i do finally get an airplane I already have a radio for it. I looked at the manual for the crawler version of the RDS8000 and while it does have a very small section on the crawler features i think i would be using the trial and error method getting it setup since the manual is the exact same as the Aircraft one. If this is a possibility it opens up a whole slew of radios to choose from.

Last edited by JonU; 05-26-2011 at 11:30 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Also if flysky was such cheap junk, why would Axial be using them as their rtr radio?
Ummm....didn't you sorta answer the question yourself??

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
i know speky 2.4 air doesn't bind to speky 2.4 ground...but 2.4 is 2.4 your allowed to run em how ever you want.
correct me if i'm wrong but my understanding is only surface radios will work with surface recievers, and air radio's only work with air recievers. at least this holds true with Spektrum
khwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:05 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by khwilliams View Post
correct me if i'm wrong but my understanding is only surface radios will work with surface recievers, and air radio's only work with air recievers. at least this holds true with Spektrum
True.

But, the frequency does not change (AFAIK) unlike the older AM or FM radios that had specific ranges for air vs. surface.
In the 2.4ghz, the programming is different, thus no binding between rx/tx types.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote