Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: RC4WD XR4 or Specktrum DX3E which should I get??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default RC4WD XR4 or Specktrum DX3E which should I get??

I have a ttc rig in the process of being built and I need a radio system for it. I don't want to go too all out on this just because there is only one event a year that is within an hour from me. So, I want to be able to compete fairly strong and also be able to afford it and use it for fun around the house. Since I am running a winch my choices are the XR4 from RC4WD for $90 on RC4WD and the DX3E from Specktrum on ebay new for $100. Let me know though soon guys I need to buy something early this week for the event on the 11th.
crawlinforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

look also at the new spektrum dx3c
Frozen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have the RC4WD XR4 and love it! the multi-model memory is what was the deciding factor for me, I had to have that. But it doesnt have epa's on the aux. channels but it hasn't been a problem for me. I also like the fact that if i ever need it i have a 4th channel at my disposal for a winch, lights, or something else on a scale rig. also its very very easy to program and set up, never needed to look at the manual!

IMO the Specktrum stuff is over priced for what you get.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Alright cool.... I'm really leaning towards the xr4 at this point.... How much is shipping through rc4wd? Also, how long does it take usually?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlinforfun View Post
Alright cool.... I'm really leaning towards the xr4 at this point.... How much is shipping through rc4wd? Also, how long does it take usually?
I think I paid like $9 bucks for shipping when I bought my XR4 a while back and I had it in less than a week. It was a great radio for the price, I personally liked the button/switch locations better than the DX3E.

I did upgrade to the 4PL from my XR4 as I needed a radio capable of doing mixing, If you can afford the 4PL you wont regret it.
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Another radio to consider is the DX3C which retails for 129.00 US which has many more features than the DX3E. I currently have the RC4WD XR4 and am not really impressed with its fit and finish, it seems rather cheaply made, and there are no end point adjustments on the 3rd and 4th channels. Its not a bad radio, but from everything I have heard about the spectrums, they are excellent in quality. I will be replacing my XR4 with my DX3C as soon as it arrives, and will use the XR4 for a scaler build.
canuckcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

ahhh so many choices so little time and money!!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I like the XR4, yes it has no endpoints..but for a winch, do you really need one?!?!? turn off and on lights????? Also aggree on the multiple models. That and the price I really liked. I don't know about it feeling cheap...I mean these are plastic, so are the others. It takes 4 AA batteries to run, you pick up 8, run 4 and store the other 4 in the battery tray, and it feels heavier.

Last edited by squatch71; 06-07-2011 at 08:59 PM.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Don't even consider the DX3e anymore. If you decide on a Spektrum, get the DX3c. I have both and my DX3e just gathers dust now.
Yes, the 3c is a little bit more expensive, but it's a lot more radio.
dmcchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
I like the XR4, yes it has no endpoints..but for a winch, do you really need one?!?!? turn off and on lights????? Also aggree on the multiple models. That and the price I really liked. I don't know about it feeling cheap...I mean these are plastic, so are the others. It takes 4 AA batteries to run, you pick up 8, run 4 and store the other 4 in the battery tray, and it feels heavier.
What I meant about it feeling cheap was that the fit and finish of the radio is not very good on my XR4, perhaps mine is just a defect model as where the two halves of the radio join, it does not fit together well so that the seam has an uneven gap. The spectrum on the other hand, has very good fit and finish. Also I have found that the XR4 quality control is sometimes hit & miss, as others have had steering epa issues with them that required the radio be replaced as it would not center the steering no matter what. I.E. it would turn sharper left than it would right or vise versa.
I will say that RC4WD's customer service is very good though, and will help with any issues that you have.
canuckcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote