Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: how i fixed my rc4wd bulldog winch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default how i fixed my rc4wd bulldog winch

I just bought an rc4wd bullbog winch cause I couldn't find a 3racing one at the time. Hooked it up to my 4pl and what do you know it creeps and chatters go figure. I got a moped v16r from rockwhore and rewired it for use as a winch esc and kept the original esc rx wires intact so that it can easily be returned to it's original state. I pulled the motor and battery leads out of the esc then opened it up. I used a servo extension lead cut off the end used it as I new rx wire out of the esc.I soldered the rx signal wire onto the esc's signal wire on the circuit board and then sent the power and ground into the battery lead spot on the esc. Ran a set of 18 gauge wire out of the esc's motor leads to the winch harness to control the winch. I then run the new rx wire into channel 4 of my 4pl, calibrated the esc to the 4pl and it worked great for the most part except I set my endpoint at 120 for/rev and it caused a glitch to the steering when first switching on to spool out(reverse) which you see in the video, solved that by putting end points to 100 for/rev. As for the operation of the controller it actually works really good. I set it up so that I use dt4 3pos switch and it is set so that I push forward it puts the esc into reverse then spools out for 30 seconds or so and shuts off which I guess is just the programming of the reverse in the moped esc and can't be changed but here is the good about that. I can keep my truck sitting there on it's own under the drag brake and and pull on the winch line with a little force and as long as I dont allow the esc's light to go out it starts to freewheel somewhat right to the end. If I let the light go out it will lock the spool, and then I need to put in all the way to full throttle which would be 2 clicks forward then back to reverse again 2 click on the dt4 switch of the 4pl. Not a big deal at all cause I just put it into reverse let it do it's 30 second spool out then just keep pulling till its all the way out which is way faster anyways. As for pulling in on full throttle it works awsome, you can run as long as you want stop as much as you want and it does it all keeping the winch and esc cold unlike the temps the original setup was putting off with the creeping and chattering, I've pulled the truck into the air by itself and let it hang and then dropped it down and the winch was cold as well as the esc. I was told that the only fix for the rc4wd winch controller is to wire and on off switch to cut power manually but that just seemed to defeat the purpose and I could see myself forgetting and having it creep out on me. As it is I have a screwed brand new winch line because it creeped, got nice and loose then decided to turn itself into a nice rats nest down into the outside of the spool, had to use a pick to get it out which frayed the crap out of it so I now have some team3six winch line coming to replace it. Just thought I'd share if anyone was interested. http://youtu.be/lXQSCC0VIA8

Last edited by kurtus; 06-02-2011 at 07:56 AM.
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links