Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Couple problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Couple problems

First, my trx w/p servo locks up, once in awhile.
At center, and full left, it will lock up, while in the center, it buzz's and gets hot, at full left, just stops dead until I move it by hand. I have the traxxas servo saver on it. I've tried using a bec, not using one, I run am gear and have switched rx/tx gear, esc, batteries and voltages to run, and I still end up with the same problem. There is no binding as it turns like a hot knife through butter, even tried it in a different truck with bell cranks and still happens. I'm at a loss.

Second, when running a fuze esc, after a bit it will start moving forward on it's own forcing me to trim the dail back. I've recalibrated it and tried different batteries and rx with the same problem. If I unplug it and plug it back in I have to zero my trim out and it does it again.

Any suggestions on what the problems could be?

Thanks in advance, jason
Hvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

The servo issues sounds like one of the gears is partially stripped, or their is some crud jamming up the gears internally.

As for the esc issues, i've never used Fuze. But it sounds like its loosing the calibration, the only thing i can think of.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

take the servo apart and clean it, check all gears...like wideload says it probably has a stripped gear or junk in there. Take all the gears out (remember where they go) and run it. should not stop left and the right, put it together, grease it and then run it with the top off..you will have to hold where the servo horn goes..so it doesn't really mess things up.

ESC, I would set everything to zero on your radio and recalb again..not sure what is going on. maybe set your deadband on your radio a little wider...wait, what kind of radio are you using??
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Anyone think that the potentiometer is bad in the servo? Could possibly be a problem. Usually not the case. Who makes servo? My guess is that one of the teeth are broken in the gears. If so you can always get a gear kit from your LHS.

You also say that your running AM equipment? My guess is that you are getting radio noise. What radio system are you using?
Rok Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvrc View Post
First, my trx w/p servo locks up, once in awhile.
At center, and full left, it will lock up, while in the center, it buzz's and gets hot, at full left, just stops dead until I move it by hand. I have the traxxas servo saver on it. I've tried using a bec, not using one, I run am gear and have switched rx/tx gear, esc, batteries and voltages to run, and I still end up with the same problem. There is no binding as it turns like a hot knife through butter, even tried it in a different truck with bell cranks and still happens. I'm at a loss.
Any suggestions on what the problems could be?

Thanks in advance, jason
Does the servo lock up with the wheels off the ground??
It may be time for a new/better servo. If it's damaged inside, the cost to fix will likely be close to a decent servo.
What rig is this in? Maybe look to a HiTec 7955TG servo.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yes, the servo locks up when it's the tires are off the ground, it's even worse with a bec installed. It's a traxxas 2075 w/p servo, so far I've cleaned it out, replaced bearings, and replaced the output/splined shaft gear (a half a tooth) found the piece of tooth in there, and still the same problem. The motor in the servo turns freely, as do all the gears. None of the mounting pin holes (gear shafts) are wobbled out or stripped.
I'm going to replace the pot soon and see if it fixs the problem.

As for my esc/radio losing calibration and such. I'm using a am tq3, and found out last night with my bec wired directly to the servo, I get horrible glitching-noise (hitec 645/Novak bec), and wired into the rx my distance is cut down to about 20' from me before it starts acting up. So now it I just run without my bec and a servo saver. I tried the 70/30 setting on my radio and recalibrated the esc, no more problems yet with the calibration creeping forward.

This servo thing is pissing me off as I picked it up in a trade a month ago and it was basically new. Oh well, another towerpro to get by.

Thanks for all your help guys
Hvrc is offline   Reply With Quote