Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Battery / Motor / ESC / BEC Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Battery / Motor / ESC / BEC Question

What's the purpose of running more cells on a higher turn motor versus less cells on a lower turn motor? I will be running a winch and lights as well.

I have my new honcho kit rolling, but still need a motor and esc, so I want to make sure I understand before I make any decisions. I think I am set on a waterproof BRXL so I don't have to run a BEC. And the cost is about the same as an FXR and BEC. Which leads to another question. I have read on this sub-forum that with more cells the internal BRXL BEC is weak. I find that hard to believe, so can someone educate me?

Thanks!
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Well, I'm not sure if I can help very much, but I'll try. From experiance, I was running a 2s 5200mah lipo with a 35t motor, stock Honcho pretty much. Not real fast, but it could climb pretty good. This was with the stock Axial electronics. Decided to change to a 3s 1300mah battery. I put a CC BEC on the ESC and for a short time everything was good, then I fried the AE-2 ESC, so I bought the BRXL. Not running the CC BEC, but still using the 3s, the truck now runs like it has a 20t motor on 2s and can climb great! The HH ESC is built using the Castle Sidewinder case, but the brain and guts are all HH. This ESC is a very good starting point. It will work with the CC Link and one of the many things you can adjust ins the internal BEC. It will handle from 2s to 6s. Best purchase for me so far. I liked the FXR, but after watching the stuff for sale, you don't see the BRXL but do see the FXR for sale there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
What's the purpose of running more cells on a higher turn motor versus less cells on a lower turn motor? I will be running a winch and lights as well.

I have my new honcho kit rolling, but still need a motor and esc, so I want to make sure I understand before I make any decisions. I think I am set on a waterproof BRXL so I don't have to run a BEC. And the cost is about the same as an FXR and BEC. Which leads to another question. I have read on this sub-forum that with more cells the internal BRXL BEC is weak. I find that hard to believe, so can someone educate me?

Thanks!
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for sharing your experience. Love your build thread. One of the better builds around here.

Last edited by Slaughter; 06-03-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The BEC of the BRXL works great on 3s lipo's. I don't run BEC's with the BRXL's in my two comp rigs or the scaler.

More voltage + more motor turns + lower gearing = bettter low speed control with just as much wheelspeed and longer run time. Better everything.

Lower turn motor + lower voltage requires more amp draw from the battery, which reduces run time. More amp draw also = more heat in the motor, esc and battery.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thank Manning. That was the info I was looking for.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

A 35t on 3s is about like a 25t motor on 2s, but the 25t motor will start dumping amps when it is bound up. With brushed systems, keeping the amp draw low lengthens motor life and reduces heat in the system. In general it is better to use a slower motor with move voltage vs a faster motor with lower voltage for crawling because of this.

The BEC on the BRXL is strong, but some people don't find it strong enough to compete with. The power does go down slightly as voltage is increased because of switching losses, but is still very usable up to 6s. Your mileage will vary.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote