Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Thunder AC6 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Thunder AC6 question

Okay, So Im new to RC and I just got my lipos and AC6 charger.
Couple of questions:

1. Does the charger automatically stop charging when my LiPo is fully charged?
I read through the entire manual and all I saw was the button to push to stop the charging. Didn't mention anything about auto stopping the charging. I'm not sure if it doesn't do it or if its a normal thing and implied that it does shut off...

2. My batteries are the Blue Lipo 800mAh 20c 2s. Since they are 7.4v batteries, I notice that they charge to 8.4V... I'm not sure what this is about but I'll just accept it. I charged it @ 0.8A Should I go higher? and whats a safe range to charge these at? I noticed after the 77 min charge that the battery wasn't even warm I thought they were supposed to get pretty hot.

Thanks for any help
Getrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Your charger will automatically shut off when the battery is at capacity, the stop button is just there in case you need to stop it for any reason before you reach this point.

Charging at 0.8A is 1C so you are good there, most people will tell you that you should always charge at 1C to make your batteries last and I agree with them. Some lipo's can be charged at high rates but I don't know if the blue lipo's are rated.

If everything is working well then your battery shouldn't get hot when you charge it. It may get a little warm but never hot.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbid89 View Post
Your charger will automatically shut off when the battery is at capacity, the stop button is just there in case you need to stop it for any reason before you reach this point.

Charging at 0.8A is 1C so you are good there, most people will tell you that you should always charge at 1C to make your batteries last and I agree with them. Some lipo's can be charged at high rates but I don't know if the blue lipo's are rated.

If everything is working well then your battery shouldn't get hot when you charge it. It may get a little warm but never hot.

X2, and a fully charged 7.4v 2s lipo is actualy 8.4 volts, so no worries there. sounds to me like you have it under control
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Perfect, thanks for the quick response. That helps a lot.

One other question.

When your done crawling for the day do you go home and charge them up if your not going be using them for 3 or 4 days? Or do you leave them as is until a day or so before you go crawling?

And the discharge/storage mode whats the time frame that your batteries will not be used for utilizing this option?
Getrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Here's a little info on storing your batteries.

http://www.bigrcmodels.com/RC-Helico...ry-Storage.asp

When I get home I charge them in storage mode. Unless I'm sure I will use them in the next 3 or 4 days. You don't want to leave them fully charged much longer than that.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbid89 View Post

+1 on all this.

As to the heat, the older NiCads & NiMH's would get warm/rather warm when topping them off just before a race, LiPO's shouldn't really get above ambient temp (within a few *F) since the charge rates are low.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Never discharge a lipo . Espicially lower than recommended voltage
stunter38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I always use storage mode on my batteries unless I know I will be using them in the next day or 2. I never let them sit fully charged either, I will let them sit for that 1 to 2 days at the voltage they have left after the previous day's wheeling, then charge them up the night before I go wheeling.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote