Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: small esc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default small esc

Im looking for the smallest brushed esc made. If u guys have any ideas please share them< thanks
super pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Tekin FX series.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yep FXRs are the smallest I have seen.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The CC Micro Pro is smaller and works with brushed and brushless. What kind of truck are you wanting this for?
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
The CC Micro Pro is smaller and works with brushed and brushless. What kind of truck are you wanting this for?
I don't think so:

Micro pro: 1.5" L x 1.1" W x 0.6" H

FXR: 1.1" L x 0.8" W x 0.4" H

Now I'm no math wizard but it does look like the FXR has a smaller footprint than the Micro Pro. But then what do I know?
Old 06-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Sidewinder micros(not pros) handles 45t handwounds with ease and I wouldn't hesitate to run 35t with at all. Never passed 100d on my setup but that's on an moa results may very on a shafty
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Im building a losi micro crawler that is goin to be a MOA. So I need 2 esc's and Im goin to used the novak dig unit.
super pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Go with the tekin B1R or Sidewinder Micro then. Plenty powerful and both are pretty small.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by super pig View Post
Im building a losi micro crawler that is goin to be a MOA. So I need 2 esc's and Im goin to used the novak dig unit.
Micro sidewinders for sure, check my build thread and see what the response is at the very end, I think you will be happier with this imo
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Go with the tekin B1R or Sidewinder Micro then. Plenty powerful and both are pretty small.
Ah, you didn't mention it was for a micro in your first post.

John is correct that either the BR-1 or Micro Sidewinder would work but the Sidewinder is a bit longer than the BR-1 by almost 3/4".
Old 06-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
I don't think so:

Now I'm no math wizard but it does look like the FXR has a smaller footprint than the Micro Pro. But then what do I know?
You missing one important thing which is the big fat capacitor on the FX series controllers. You can also easily remove the case from the Micro Pro and shrink it to make an even smaller foot print.

That capacitor was one of the issues I have had with the FXR's I used. In my opinion it was a poor design idea on tekins part. Not saying they're bad controllers, but for my money the CC controllers offer more at a better price.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
You missing one important thing which is the big fat capacitor on the FX series controllers. You can also easily remove the case from the Micro Pro and shrink it to make an even smaller foot print.

That capacitor was one of the issues I have had with the FXR's I used. In my opinion it was a poor design idea on tekins part. Not saying they're bad controllers, but for my money the CC controllers offer more at a better price.
The cap sits nicely on TOP of the case, no footprint. You must be confusing Tekin with Novak. However for 280 or 380 motors you may not even need the cap. It's the smallest cap on most of the major brands. BTW the FX is a 540 esc good down to a 10 wind motor.

True the CC is cheaper but you do get what you pay for. I've used and still use CC esc but prefer the Tekins.

Last edited by AreCee; 06-09-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

the cap has gave me no issues. the whole esc has never gave me issues either. go tekin.
pastrana#199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
The cap sits nicely on TOP of the case, no footprint. You must be confusing Tekin with Novak. However for 280 or 380 motors you may not even need the cap. It's the smallest cap on most of the major brands. BTW the FX is a 540 esc good down to a 10 wind motor.

True the CC is cheaper but you do get what you pay for. I've used and still use CC esc but prefer the Tekins.
When putting it in limited space it makes a difference. Fitting two ESC's into an MOA, anything you can save counts. The cap takes up space and also limits placement and use of sealed boxes for scalers and such.

I have and do own both.

I know that the specs are and what the limits are on both. I am giving feedback based on experience with both. The Micro Pro is easier to fit in tight spaces than the FXR. I would personally be wary of running it without the cap no matter what as the FX series has had issues with this.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I understand where you're coming from and must disagree to some extent. I'm using two FXRs in their cases with the caps in a Beetlejuice V4 along with a CC BEC and a full size SR3001 Rx and do not have any space issues. One of the other club members is using two Mamba Micro Pros and a CC BEC with a mini Rx in the same chassis and it takes up the same space. Hmmmm. His is lighter because he is using Holmes 454 motors and I'm using full size Tekin 55s and he has thinned out some components but that's the biggest difference.

Just relating some real world experience and not bench racing talk.

One other thing: I'm ahead of him on our club's comp point series.

Last edited by AreCee; 06-10-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from and must disagree to some extent. I'm using two FXRs in their cases with the caps in a Beetlejuice V4 along with a CC BEC and a full size SR3001 Rx and do not have any space issues. One of the other club members is using two Mamba Micro Pros and a CC BEC with a mini Rx in the same chassis and it takes up the same space. Hmmmm. His is lighter because he is using Holmes 454 motors and I'm using full size Tekin 55s and he has thinned out some components but that's the biggest difference.

Just relating some real world experience and not bench racing talk.

One other thing: I'm ahead of him on our club's comp point series.
First off you seem to ignore the part where I have both so it's not really bench talk. I also run a BJV4 in my XR so again, I have experience here.

Second did he remove the cases and shrink them like most do? This drastically reduces the foot print.

Lastly what does you beating him on courses have to do with the size and function of an ESC? We have a local club member who out performed built bergs with an AX10 and no dig. Does that automatically mean the AX10 no dig setup is superior? Quite the opposite, it means he is the superior driver and gets more practice time.

I never said the FX series doesn't work, I said the Micro Pro works better for the application.

Granted you use and like the FX controllers, however, that doesn't mean it is the only and/or best option for everyone.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Second did he remove the cases and shrink them like most do? This drastically reduces the foot print.
No need to even do that....I have been running dual Micro Pros in my BJV4 without space issues for a while now.....oh, and I took first in our series for the year.

Oh, and BTW, Garrett stepped up to a Losi, and he still never practices....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
No need to even do that....I have been running dual Micro Pros in my BJV4 without space issues for a while now.....oh, and I took first in our series for the year.

Oh, and BTW, Garrett stepped up to a Losi, and he still never practices....
Has to be those micro pros then, definitely not your driving skillz!!!

Plus, Garrett is just a freak of nature anyway...........just kidding Goobs!

I think it's great I ranked higher than first in our series and only was there for one 2 comps........
Old 06-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I just measured my caseless Mamba Micro Pro and got the following:
1.4" L x 0.95" W x 0.54 H

INCLUDING the capacitor and heat sink.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

got a B1R in my MRC and it does everything I ask of it! its the smallest esc I have ever used or seen, and has a smller foot print then a sidewinder micro.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote