Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ****novak m2 dig ****

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #1

Default ****novak m2 dig ****

For those that are running the novak m2 dig and are going to run a 3s lip get an external bec or your truck will go up in flames. On the box it self it does not say a 2s limit.... This is for those that dont know, i just learned the hard way and the instruction booklet does not specifiy that you run an external bec.
XR10-ROLLER503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Wow, sounds like my rooster. I think the best advice on the M2 is to just not buy the damn thing.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
Wow, sounds like my rooster. I think the best advice on the M2 is to just not buy the damn thing.
Or anything else they make for that matter.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I ran my M2 without a BEC under 3S for a while, no flames, just glitching...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Yep, stay away.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #6

Ya mine glitches quite abit and is getting very annoying, my first one that burnt down, which you can find my post with some very nice pictures. But never anywere on the packing or instructions say that i must run an external bec, and when i takled to novak they told me i hooked it up wrong cuz the instruction says must run external bec, which i rear threw the instruction and i had my neightbor which is an english college professor and it just suggest that you run an external bec if you run 3s doesnt say you must. And novak says well looks like we need to update our instruction and make it more noticeable. At first they were telling me that they wouldnt cover it because it was installed wrong, i said look i dumped a few grand in my truck. I walked into a hobby store handed them a list and paid for it all there, if i know i needed and external bec i wouldnt of had a problem spending an extra $30.00ish bucks!!!!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR10-ROLLER503 View Post
Ya mine glitches quite abit and is getting very annoying, my first one that burnt down, which you can find my post with some very nice pictures. But never anywere on the packing or instructions say that i must run an external bec, and when i takled to novak they told me i hooked it up wrong cuz the instruction says must run external bec, which i rear threw the instruction and i had my neightbor which is an english college professor and it just suggest that you run an external bec if you run 3s doesnt say you must. And novak says well looks like we need to update our instruction and make it more noticeable. At first they were telling me that they wouldnt cover it because it was installed wrong, i said look i dumped a few grand in my truck. I walked into a hobby store handed them a list and paid for it all there, if i know i needed and external bec i wouldnt of had a problem spending an extra $30.00ish bucks!!!!
BUT THE FIRST ONE THAT BURNT DOWN THEY DID WARRENTY IT OUT FOR ME ILL GIVE THEM THAT.....
Old 06-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
x2

So many products out there that are so much more versatile for cheaper prices. Novak was something 10 years ago, not so much now.........
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #9

i just got into crawling and i bought the m2 (so did a buddy) and we ran bec's just for the servo saftey... we have had no glitching yet..... i actually like the unit. go figure.
tysgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #10

i like novak stuff, that what i use to run but when i got into crawlers i didnt know better and i like the concept of the m2 dig set up. they just failed to specify that you need a external BEC if you are running 3s and high torque servo.

i honestly think that after they warrenty out this one and i add a BEC i should clear up my glitching problem and hopfully it does not melt down again. I have not lost faith in Novak. but if for some reason it does fail, im going twith tekin fxr's

Last edited by XR10-ROLLER503; 06-09-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR10-ROLLER503 View Post
i like novak stuff, that what i use to run but when i got into crawlers i didnt know better and i like the concept of the m2 dig set up. they just failed to specify that you need a external BEC if you are running 3s and high torque servo.

i honestly think that after they warrenty out this one and i add a BEC i should clear up my glitching problem and hopfully it does not melt down again. I have not lost faith in Novak. but if for some reason it does fail, im going twith tekin fxr's
You will find the drag is brake lacking on the M2. Get yourself some Castle Mamba micro pro or sidewinder prosand call it good.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I bought an m2 system and it says 3s right on the box and in the instruction sheets I cannot find any mention of needing an external BEC. I'm only running 2s right now but will run 3s once I pick up a BEC
BoredGord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #13

Default M2

I've got the m2 and love it. It's like driving a sti, it does all the driving for you. Dccd!!!
SubaPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I have one. The drag brake is weak compared to other ESCs I have seen people use. The proportional drive is also quite poor, doesn't work like it should.

I wish I bought 2 Tekin FXRs though. I definitely will when I seel/burn this esc.

I am using it with a 3s and Novak's BEC as i heard the CC ones made the system glitch.
Mides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:16 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

My Novak Super Duty went out on me a few weeks back. I was going to buy an M2 but that was before I got on here and started reading all the issues with them. I have been in the racing world for years, and getting more into rock crawling now. More laid back and more places to go crawl. What other speed controllers are out there that work good for dual MOAs? One unit or dual ESCs?

I am in need of a new ESC.
Rok Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok Krawl View Post
My Novak Super Duty went out on me a few weeks back. I was going to buy an M2 but that was before I got on here and started reading all the issues with them. I have been in the racing world for years, and getting more into rock crawling now. More laid back and more places to go crawl. What other speed controllers are out there that work good for dual MOAs? One unit or dual ESCs?

I am in need of a new ESC.
Depends on the rig & motor.
In my house we are running a dual CC SCT, a dual FXR and a "mix" of CC MM & CC Micro Pro.
All but the last work well, the Micro Pro doesn't have enough dig brake, but I'm still working on setup (Futaba 3PM-x & WannAmix)
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
You will find the drag is brake lacking on the M2. Get yourself some Castle Mamba micro pro or sidewinder prosand call it good.
if i run the micro mamba what all do i need to get it to work with my dx3r pro, give me a complete run down and ill go buy all of it i do want front and rear dig still, im very new to all of this which is probably the first reason why i ended up with the m2 dig cuz it was easy, but give me a list and ill buy it
Old 06-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #18

Ok, my M2 started acting up today. I take back what said. Damm!!!!!
SubaPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaPerformance View Post
Ok, my M2 started acting up today. I take back what said. Damm!!!!!
no matter what battery you run either 2s or 3s put an external BEC on it. or take a fire extinguisher with you
Old 06-13-2011, 04:13 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Depends on the rig & motor.
In my house we are running a dual CC SCT, a dual FXR and a "mix" of CC MM & CC Micro Pro.
All but the last work well, the Micro Pro doesn't have enough dig brake, but I'm still working on setup (Futaba 3PM-x & WannAmix)
I run 65T motors on Clod axles. I was considering dual FXR but I only have 3 channel radio system. If it requires 4 or more I would have to use my airplane radio and change module for ground use.

I'm still not sold on brushless for crawling. Ill prolly go with a dual set of FXR on 3s lipo and run a few BECs for the servos.
Rok Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote