Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Any info on the New Novak Rockstar motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Any info on the New Novak Rockstar motors

Hey guys the web site does not go into much detail has any one run them or know about them.
jacobflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

What kind of detail you want? Machine wound, fb6 mags if I recall correct, otherwise a standard rebuildable motor. It is an updgrade from their previous versions, but isn't a top of the line build. Sure to be a good motor with great support behind it.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Well com size would be nice but if John Holmes said it could be a good motor thats a start, I have ran many motors some top of the line and some cheap there is a deference but how much for the money. I have not ran your motors John and was thinking of trying them,

What would you tell me to use in my Full Comp Berg I run 35T Phatoms and now I have Broods.

I comp alot and only get about 4 months out of a set of motors so I want to find the best motor and stick with it.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #4

7.5mm comm on the Rockstars.

Best motor is a pretty arbitrary term, but here are my opinions. Handwound wins over machine wound. If you are looking for highest power or torque, Brood and myself offer the options that will get you there. Get an arm built up with a fat pack, laydown brush, and 7.5mm comm. It will also be the shortest lived motor.

If you are looking for a motor with the best life, I would recommend a standard wire fill with standup brushes and 10mm comm.

The best build IMO is a CrawlMaster Pro 540. It has a much longer service life than other brushed motors offered, it crawls better, and can have higher wheelspeed at the same time. The one disadvantage is that the drag brake is lower unless you use a controller with an active hold like my TorqueMaster BRXL.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The one rockstar I rebuilt had pretty weak magnets, I dunno if they were actually an FB6......maybe an fb3 or fb5....I tested them on my gauss meter and they didn't hit the FB6 rated numbers....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #6

Good feedback, I haven't had one in hand yet. Just going off what I have been told.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys I have a set of broods 35T and they have worked well but the 1st weekend I put them in I was at the Nevada state championship at Prison Hill and Parker got crazy with the snow and sand ( man I love his course design ) and one of the motor went up in smoke I cleaned the comm and am still running it to day but they are getting week so time for new ones.

John thanks for your info and Eddie thanks for the great motors I am running.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

They probably just need a full rebuild.....at worst, a new arm....no need to buy a whole new set of motors.

I do rebuilds......

Later EddieO
Old 06-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Ok so I got a set of rock stars ( O thanks Eddie I will send my Broods to you and have a full rebuild and use them as my back up motors ) Holly crap for a out of the box motor they have a ton of punch and are very smooth I will not have them in a comp type setting tell Tuesday night so as far as how they will pull out of holes and if they have the torque we all need not sure, but damn they are fast and the bottom is very smooth.

Just my update if you have the cash on you and you are at a store that has the Rock Star motors and you need some buy them they will work good for you. No it's not a Brood or an Holmes but it's in the store and in stock and I can say a big improvement over my 6 month old worn out Broods.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

My motors as backups to machine wounds.....time to go stab myself, I have failed...

Later EddieO
Old 06-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
My motors as backups to machine wounds.....time to go stab myself, I have failed...

Later EddieO
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Later EddieO
No Eddie, I never have back ups I just throw them away so the fact I want to keep your motors is a good sign.

You have not failed I really liked your motors and they worked great for about 6 months more than any others I have ran so Because I like my FXR's and do not plan on going to a different ESC I will most likely order another set of your motors when it's time.

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

ok so i have a pair of 45t rockstars in my xr10 ....as for power and punch they are great lots of jam.....

on the down side i don't feel the that the drag brake ability is all that good....

I run twin FXR'S and have them dialed up to 90% on both and when i do burns be it front or back the wheels trun a little bit....

I am going to dial the fxr's up to 100% and see if they are better then , we'll see

they are are strong motors tho
scorpion_ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Later EddieO
Kind of what I was thinking
Caustic101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Drag brake is mainly effected by magnets....the Rockstar has weaker magnets than many of the other motors on the market.

Spring pressure will also effect it and they kinda have soft springs compared to other motors....try increasing the spring pressure, it may help some.

Later EddieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_ax View Post
ok so i have a pair of 45t rockstars in my xr10 ....as for power and punch they are great lots of jam.....

on the down side i don't feel the that the drag brake ability is all that good....

I run twin FXR'S and have them dialed up to 90% on both and when i do burns be it front or back the wheels trun a little bit....

I am going to dial the fxr's up to 100% and see if they are better then , we'll see

they are are strong motors tho
Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Drag brake is mainly effected by magnets....the Rockstar has weaker magnets than many of the other motors on the market.

Spring pressure will also effect it and they kinda have soft springs compared to other motors....try increasing the spring pressure, it may help some.

Later EddieO

might be a silly question Eddie but how do you jack up the spring preasure
scorpion_ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Use a stiffer spring or bend it to apply more pressure...

Later EddieO
Old 06-15-2011, 02:44 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

If the springs are anything like those fitted to the old expert motor`s they will only be rated at 6-7 oz which is kinda rubbish for a crawler motor!

You would be better with 13-15 oz rated springs.
igbandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

OK so I got to put the motors to the test last night It was very disappointing, Like I said before the wheel speed and jump is great the Torque ( what is what I want and need) is Horrible. This might make a very good G6 style motor but not for my comp Rig.
You can bump up the springs and that helps a bit but nothing like the Broods or Phatoms I was running.

So all in all for a full blown comp rig I would not recommend them I would spend the same money and get any of the Hand Wound motor makers out there IE: Brood, Holmes, JPH, so on and so on. So the short story is my Broods are at the local motor builders house and will be back in my truck Thursday and my RockStars will go to some one in my club that is starting out and needs new motors Because I will not run or keep them as back ups.

Sorry Novak, Just an honest Review
Old 06-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobflyin View Post
Sorry Novak, Just an honest Review
They hear this on a regular basis.
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote