Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Crawler not working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #1

Default Crawler not working

I need some help, I just built my first rc ever and I cant figure out whats wrong with it, im running an xr10 kit with a cc sv2 esc, dual axial 55t motors, punk dig, towardpro servo, and a spektrum dx3c radio, I just wired it all up yesterday and I went thru the process of programming the esc like it says and everything seemed to go fine, everything is getting power and the punk dig works properly, but when I try goin it just barely moves at all and gets all spaz like, and the steering doesnt do anything, can anyone tell me what this might be? Cuz I have no idea
nibriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Is the ESC set to Brushed mode (stock it's set to brushless).
What battery are you running, LiPO/NiMH/NiCAD?
How many cells in the battery (2S or 3S LiPO, 6 cell NiMH/NiCad??)
Did you change throttle curves in the ESC?
When the rig is off the ground, do the front & rear wheels rotate in the same direction or opposite?
Is the pinion gear mesh too tight?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #3

It is set to brushed mode, its a ckrc punch pack 1300, no changes to the throttle curve, I knew to wire the motors opposite so the tires spin the same direction, and no the pinion gear is not too tight, and unfortunately I just went through the programming steps again, now nothing but the punk works, the led's on the esc light up when u hit the throttle and reverse properly but nothing happens and still no steering
Old 06-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like the internal bec may of went boom.....only thing I can really think would cause that issue besides the fets in the esc being toast.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #5

What about the no steering thing?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

bec is blown, reciever is probably not getting much power.....so the servo won't move.

If you have a reciever pack (your radio may of came with it, will hold 4 AA batteries)......plug that in.......unplug the ESC....if you have steering then, the ESC is the problem more than likely.

Later EddieO
Old 06-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #7

Some of the sidewinder SV2's require you to use the white as the motor ground instead of the black. It took me a while to figure that out on mine as the instructions say to use the black.
static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Some of the sidewinder SV2's require you to use the white as the motor ground instead of the black. It took me a while to figure that out on mine as the instructions say to use the black.
+1, depends on the ESC firmware version.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
RCC Addict

The SV2 I got required using the white wire as ground (got it about a month ago for a scaler I'm building). Castle's instructions are generic for their whole line of ESCs.

Also it wouldn't take stick programing so I had to use the Castle Link to set it for brushed motors, it responded to stick programing but didn't set.

However, if you don't have steering and the RX doesn't light up (I think the SR300 comes with the radio and has a light) then Eddie is right the ESC is kaput.

Last edited by AreCee; 06-12-2011 at 02:24 PM.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
TEAM MODERATOR

What are your end points set like for the 3rd channel?

If they are set to low, the punk dig will light up like it's switching, but will not spin the motors. Set them to 100% or more.

No steering, could be the BEC. Was the BEC and RX new? Best way to run the power is wire the external BEC straight to the servo. Just run the signal wire from the servo to the RX. Use the BEC in the ESC to power the RX This way, you can bump the BEC up to give your servo 7 volts or more without worry of blowing the RX.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
What are your end points set like for the 3rd channel?

If they are set to low, the punk dig will light up like it's switching, but will not spin the motors. Set them to 100% or more.

No steering, could be the BEC. Was the BEC and RX new? Best way to run the power is wire the external BEC straight to the servo. Just run the signal wire from the servo to the RX. Use the BEC in the ESC to power the RX This way, you can bump the BEC up to give your servo 7 volts or more without worry of blowing the RX.
He never stated he had an external BEC..........
Old 06-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #12

Ok so I do have an external bec but I didnt put it on yet, I wired it up to a battery and plugged it into the rx and still no steering, plugging the esc back in I tested the voltage in the wires to the motor at neutral its getting about 2 volts full throttle is about 7.66 and reverse is barely -.06 idk y but that doesnt seem right to me, and also as soon as I plug one motor in all voltage is lost completely, back to 0 at neutral throttle and reverse, im stumped
Old 06-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #13

And I do have it wired up with the black wire, already cut the white one :/ hope I didnt screw that up
Old 06-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #14
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibriel View Post
hope I didnt screw that up
Sounds like you did.

Get your meter back out and see what kind of voltage you're getting on the red and white instead of the red and black. You'll know for sure then...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Well, if you wired in reciever pack correctly and the ESC was disconnected and still got not steering, then there is a problem with reciever. Sounds like you got lots of weird problems.

See if you can find someone with a servo tester....you can test the ESC and Servo with that.....

The key to problems like these is eliminating each item until you find the problem......

Later EddieO
Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Sounds like you did.

Get your meter back out and see what kind of voltage you're getting on the red and white instead of the red and black. You'll know for sure then...
did it, got normal 7.6,0,-7.6 thanks guys, my crawler now moves forward and back, still no steering tho. gonna have to try someone elses servo or something to find out if its the servo or rx.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #17

ok i just did some playing with things and the servo zeros out when i give it power so the servo works, and if i go into some settings in the radio the steering wobbles slightly when i adjust one, but still nothing when i turn the wheel?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

You can figure out if its the servo with a simple test....put the servo in the throttle spot on the receiver....you know that works....its wonkey, but should work to see if the servo or reciever is the issue.

Later EddieO
Old 06-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #19

I got it, my steering speed was turned to zero for some reason, everthing is good now, thanks everyone for the help