Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Spektrum RX internal "glitch buster" cap mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Spektrum RX internal "glitch buster" cap mod

Awhile back I had one of my SR300 open because I wanted to add an antenna tube mount directly to the case. While it was open I noticed on one side of the circuit board there was quite a bit of room open. Now, I always run a cap on my RX's. It helps reduce glitching/noise, and smooths out the voltage provided by the BEC (especially important with todays amp hungry servos to prevent brownouts). Up until now I had always just used an external cap. But I figured if there is room in the RX case, why not put it inside?

I looked in my box of electronic components and found a 1500uF, 10V cap that fit perfectly. From there it was just a little CA glue to attach the cap to the board, and soldering up some spare servo wire to make the connections. Note that you can solder to any of the + pins and any of - pins. Also, it's hard to see, but there is a little slot on the side of the board next to the cap that the wires fit through perfectly (not sure if other Spektrum boards like SR3000, SR3100 have that too?)

Closed the case back up, everything fit snugly, and now I don't have to use up a port with an external cap. Still works just like when I had the external cap, no glitching or brown-outs. In the 3rd pic you can also see the antenna tube mount, and I also changed the LED out for a red one to match the vehicle it was going into.

Note: I used a tiny dab of CA glue to secure the cap to the board. It was brought to my attention that this might not be very good for the circuit board. So far I have had no problems, but it might be a good idea to use some other type of adhesive.

Last edited by simplechamp; 06-13-2011 at 02:30 PM.
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Very interesting
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote