Notices

Thread: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #2221
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaxter51 View Post
I used my GT3C hacked controller a lot this weekend and it would randomly beep at me with nothing flashing or different showing up on the screen. It still worked fine but then it just started turning off, but the throttle would be stuck at where it was when it turned itself off. A quick push if the power button would reset thing and it would work fine again. Any ideas?

Another bug I'm seeing is when running on my 4ws buggy the rear steer gets really lazy sometimes or will get stuck until I let off of the throttle. I'm running a HH BRXL, integy 55t motor and hi-tec 645mg servos. No BEC currently with this setup. This is also a random thing that usually happens when my Lipo is running at around half charge.

I've got the same setup on my gt3b though without issue. These things started with the radio swap.

the turning off is the power button issue ,

this is from another forum so im not taking any credit ,all the credit goes to Billdelong , the original poster!

I recently purchased the FS-GT3C radio and had a problem with the power switch failing after only my second day of racing or roughly 2 hours of combined use.

If you are buying a new radio, I highly recommend removing the rubber grommet (top item in first pic below) which holds the switch wires in place as a preventative.

1) Pry the power switch off with a mini flat head screwdriver
2) Remove the 2 small phillips screws that hold the steering wheel in place
3) Remove the 3 medium phillips screws holding the steering assembly in place
4) Remove both of the 2.5mm hex screws holding the steering bracket
5) Pry off the power switch assembly(bottom piece in first photo) from the potentiometer with a small screw driver
6) Remove ball bearing from power switch assembly
7) Remove the rubber grommet
Re-solder wiring if necessary
***repeat steps in reverse leaving as much slack as possible in the wiring also leaving the wires un-twisted as seen in the second photo

atf300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #2222
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf300 View Post
the turning off is the power button issue ,

this is from another forum so im not taking any credit ,all the credit goes to Billdelong , the original poster!

I recently purchased the FS-GT3C radio and had a problem with the power switch failing after only my second day of racing or roughly 2 hours of combined use.

If you are buying a new radio, I highly recommend removing the rubber grommet (top item in first pic below) which holds the switch wires in place as a preventative.

1) Pry the power switch off with a mini flat head screwdriver
2) Remove the 2 small phillips screws that hold the steering wheel in place
3) Remove the 3 medium phillips screws holding the steering assembly in place
4) Remove both of the 2.5mm hex screws holding the steering bracket
5) Pry off the power switch assembly(bottom piece in first photo) from the potentiometer with a small screw driver
6) Remove ball bearing from power switch assembly
7) Remove the rubber grommet
Re-solder wiring if necessary
***repeat steps in reverse leaving as much slack as possible in the wiring also leaving the wires un-twisted as seen in the second photo

That doesn't work, the switch will still fail...It just needs to be replaced with a toggle or another switch, someone posted something afew weeks ago how they did it, which was the same thing i've had in mind (just never got around to doing it)...i should have a guide up soon (and switches up on my site)

FUN FACT: though, my prototype GT3C, still running 100% and has never had the power button issue...so i'm not sure whats completely causing the issues with the production versions as mine looks identical.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #2223
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaxter51 View Post
I used my GT3C hacked controller a lot this weekend and it would randomly beep at me with nothing flashing or different showing up on the screen. It still worked fine but then it just started turning off, but the throttle would be stuck at where it was when it turned itself off. A quick push if the power button would reset thing and it would work fine again. Any ideas?

Another bug I'm seeing is when running on my 4ws buggy the rear steer gets really lazy sometimes or will get stuck until I let off of the throttle. I'm running a HH BRXL, integy 55t motor and hi-tec 645mg servos. No BEC currently with this setup. This is also a random thing that usually happens when my Lipo is running at around half charge.

I've got the same setup on my gt3b though without issue. These things started with the radio swap.
First issue, is the power button...

The second issue, sounds like your servo is taking a shit or you need a bec
Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #2224
Rock Stacker

Sorry, this has probably been asked somewhere in the last hundred pages. But I just picked up a used GT3B that has been hacked, but I don't have the wire to update the firmware. How can I tell what version I have so I can track down the correct programming info?
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #2225
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
That doesn't work, the switch will still fail...It just needs to be replaced with a toggle or another switch, someone posted something afew weeks ago how they did it, which was the same thing i've had in mind (just never got around to doing it)...i should have a guide up soon (and switches up on my site)

FUN FACT: though, my prototype GT3C, still running 100% and has never had the power button issue...so i'm not sure whats completely causing the issues with the production versions as mine looks identical.
GT3C Problem
WooPigSooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #2226
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Sorry, this has probably been asked somewhere in the last hundred pages. But I just picked up a used GT3B that has been hacked, but I don't have the wire to update the firmware. How can I tell what version I have so I can track down the correct programming info?
If you press long enter after power up, the first screen should be firmware version, should display 3 digits
Old 10-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #2227
Rock Stacker

Quote:
If you press long enter after power up, the first screen should be firmware version, should display 3 digits
I get F 061

Assuming that's 6.1 then?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #2228
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
I get F 061

Assuming that's 6.1 then?
Yes....0.6.1
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #2229
Rock Stacker

Sweet, just need to find a manual for it then, I have the dig working on the 3rd channel as a 3 way switch, Just need to figure out how to program it for the progressive steps. Looks like this thing will do me nicely.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #2230
Got Worms?

Index of /GT3X-Firmware

overkillrc.com/GT3X-Firmware/
Old 10-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #2231
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Ok, I got my GT3B, and my programmer, and did all the mods to it (bearing, VR, film flip, etc.)
I broke the STM8S in two (because up till yesterday nothing I saw showed anyone having any issues with broken boards) and configured STVP correctly, but STVP wont read it.
I tried the newest version of STVP 4.03, and then tried 4.02, then with the 4.02 patch, still nothing. (Windows 7 64 bit)
I tried the above procedure, still nothing. I get the red light on the ST8MS showing that STVP can detect it, but when I try to program or anything I get:

"Error : Cannot communicate with the device !
Check the SWIM cable connection and check all the needed pin connections on the SWIM connector."

I made sure the pins were correctly connected in the right way. Still nothing. Tried everything on the GF's Win7 64bit computer, still nothing. So, I got XP mode working on my computer, and still same error.

I have two of these radios, so I tried all these procedures on both radios, still same error.

So, any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Did I mess up the board when I broke it in half, and now I need to get a new STM8S?

I'm getting the same error when I try to update my GT3B. And when I plug it into my GT3C the radio just continually beeps. Also gives the same error though when I try to program.

On a side note the only reason I was trying to update was to solve this issue: (currently running 4.1)

I'm using a 6ch rx setup with a winch controlled by the ch3 trim on channel four with 4ws. I'm trying to use either channel 5 or 6 to switch my lights on and off. Can I do this without updating the firmware?
Duxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #2232
Got Worms?

0.4.1 will do that if you have the 6ch version

As for your problem, make sure

you plug radio into programmer
programmer into computer
Open STVP
Open Firmware
Press Program --> Current tab

In that specific order
Old 11-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #2233
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
0.4.1 will do that if you have the 6ch version

As for your problem, make sure

you plug radio into programmer
programmer into computer
Open STVP
Open Firmware
Press Program --> Current tab

In that specific order
Ok, the pin must've come loose in my 3B cause after following those steps I flashed the 3C just fine. Now how the eff do I set it up for 4WS, front winch and a switch to controll the lights? The post that referenced key mapping for the 3C brought up a corupted file error when I tried to open it. And don't make me threaten to drop 4 bills on a 4pk just to get some help around this mofo

What do I set the channel at so it will operate like an on/off switch? (On the 3B)

Scale beer cans, now that's the schlitz!

Last edited by Duxx; 11-01-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #2234
Got Worms?

Which switch do you want to act as on/off?

(Lots aways todo this, so i have a string of questions to ask before i can say how todo it)
Old 11-02-2012, 03:46 AM   #2235
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Which switch do you want to act as on/off?

(Lots aways todo this, so i have a string of questions to ask before i can say how todo it)
On my 3B ch3 trim works the winch and ch3 button turns crab walk on/off. I don't use crab walk so ch3 button would be ideal. This radio is still running 4.1.

The 3C is flashed to 6.1 but I'm struggling mightily with the key mapping for it!

Old 11-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #2236
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duxx View Post
On my 3B ch3 trim works the winch and ch3 button turns crab walk on/off. I don't use crab walk so ch3 button would be ideal. This radio is still running 4.1.

The 3C is flashed to 6.1 but I'm struggling mightily with the key mapping for it!

Do you want the on/off be momentary or non momentary? Also do you want it to be 0/100 or -100/100?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #2237
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Do you want the on/off be momentary or non momentary? Also do you want it to be 0/100 or -100/100?
Gonna run me through the gamut aren't you!
I want it to turn the lights on when I push it and turn them off when I push it again.......

Old 11-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #2238
Got Worms?

Long click REV,
scroll to c, enter
scroll to ch3, enter
scroll to swi
long enter
Old 11-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #2239
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Long click REV,
scroll to c, enter
scroll to ch3, enter
scroll to swi
long enter
That eliminated the ability to alter between fws, rws and 4ws. Also didn't turn the lights on/off. The lights are always in, and flickering.

Here's what I'm after:
I like the ch3 trim for the front winch.
I like the ability to change from front/rear and 4ws. No need for crab.
And I'd like ch3 button to turn lights on/off. Thanks for the help, again....

Old 11-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #2240
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duxx View Post
That eliminated the ability to alter between fws, rws and 4ws. Also didn't turn the lights on/off. The lights are always in, and flickering.

Here's what I'm after:
I like the ch3 trim for the front winch.
I like the ability to change from front/rear and 4ws. No need for crab.
And I'd like ch3 button to turn lights on/off. Thanks for the help, again....

Whats your current settings?

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/321742-gt3b-hack-question-answer-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
RoboSavvy Forum :: View topic - SAM-3 Servo teardown This thread Refback 03-05-2013 12:49 PM