Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2015, 04:42 PM   #3841
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Ok so I got 4ch set up 1 and 4 are steering and 4ws so I have steering trim buttons set up to do front only or rear only and ch3 button to do crab or 4ws, I have ch 2 and 3 set up on the esc'c so on the d/r switch I can do 20% increments for front or rear dig etc. I would like to set up ch 4 or rear steer to do an increment steer of like 10 to 20% how would I set that up with all that I have already? any help would be great thx.
bbolden516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2015, 09:35 PM   #3842

hello losikid, first let me say I like the looks of your site got my name on your wait list....really hope I can get one of the radios soon *fingers crossed*
I have a really stupid question....can I bind 2 different radios to 1 receiver....say the stock radio and rx in a yeti xl with a gt3c radio?
hatcherycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:50 PM   #3843
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipattie View Post
First, thanks for all the cool tech info here, thought I'd add back, hope not a duplicate.

I got the Turnigy GTX3 (Flysky GT2B clone) and the expo works fine, and while I will replace the VR as per in this thread, but may not reflash, I first tried to used a $5 DC-DC step up converter regulator to run a 2S1P LiFe RX pack in the transmitter, and it works great! Thought was to use only a 2S LiFe which is plenty, but avoid the low voltage alarm at 9v because I'm not ready to reflash yet.

I took out the 8 cell AA holder, and there is plenty of room for the DC-DC converter and a 1450 Mah LiFe battery. I set the regulator output to 9.2V, which it holds steady as the battery goes down (but LiFe have a pretty flat curve anyway), and I think the low voltage prevents the stock VR from overheating or being too inefficient. Regulator handles input from 3V to 34V and up to 2.5 amps. The GTX3 amp draw is below 0.2 amps.

I.e., light long lasting battery, charge same as the LiFe 6.6V used in your car. I've had everything turned on for 4 hours, and LiFe voltage has dropped from 6.7V to 6.54 volts, while the TX voltage stays solid at 9.2V whole time. Battery, converter and TX screen in VR are all cool, no sign of heat anywhere.

I used the "LM2577 DC-DC Adjustable Step-up Power Converter Module" from Amazon, $5, lol.

Note, if you try this, first use a voltmeter to set the DC output close to 9.5 volts BEFORE hooking it up to TX, mine arrived set at 18 Volts.
If you reflash, you can set your low voltage alarm to whatever and replace the stock regulator with a new one.

One downfall of your current setup is that you're stepping up the voltage at probably a pretty poor efficiency, then you're regulating that back down to 5 volts at a poor efficiency. So you are losing a ton of battery power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbolden516 View Post
Ok so I got 4ch set up 1 and 4 are steering and 4ws so I have steering trim buttons set up to do front only or rear only and ch3 button to do crab or 4ws, I have ch 2 and 3 set up on the esc'c so on the d/r switch I can do 20% increments for front or rear dig etc. I would like to set up ch 4 or rear steer to do an increment steer of like 10 to 20% how would I set that up with all that I have already? any help would be great thx.
Do the same thing you did with the steering trims but set the step rate to 10 or 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatcherycrawler View Post
hello losikid, first let me say I like the looks of your site got my name on your wait list....really hope I can get one of the radios soon *fingers crossed*
I have a really stupid question....can I bind 2 different radios to 1 receiver....say the stock radio and rx in a yeti xl with a gt3c radio?
No, you can't do that. The rx remembers the tx...
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #3844

Losikid - you, of course, are correct! I tested my DC-DC step up, and it doubles battery drain. Pity, such a cute little circuit board too.

It is a doodle to take off the top of the Turnigy GTX3, 2 screws and a pinch, don't even need to pop off the selection knob. Put the Recom VR on there and am testing again.

Thanks for the insight. BTW, I saw where some people were having trouble flashing the Turnigy GTX3? You think maybe they were flukes? I should steel my nerve and go ahead anyway?
ipattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:48 AM   #3845
Got Worms?

I just found out the shiny colored part of the top cover of the GT3C is actually some sort of metal...I thought it was painted plastic.

Figured I share...
Old 02-22-2015, 01:31 AM   #3846
Got Worms?

Also, I have 8 GT3C's ready to go, once I get to 10, I'll post to the site and send out an notification email to everyone on the waiting list.

Also, I have 10 wall/usb/external chargers for the GT3C batteries.

GT3C Wall Charger
Old 02-22-2015, 03:07 PM   #3847
Rock Stacker

I just flashed my turnigy gtx3 with this board, Friday night and it appears to work just fine

Only issue appears to be that I can only set EPA on the right turn. To set the left turn I have to use the throttle to change the arrow direction which is just an annoyance but not deal breaker. Have I missed a setting somewhere or is it coz it's not a gt3b/gt3c radio?

PS. Flashing was a breeze. You don't even need to solder the legs on, just lean the on the holes and don't bloody touch it when you click GO!

Last edited by savagedustbunny; 02-22-2015 at 03:19 PM.
savagedustbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #3848
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagedustbunny View Post
I just flashed my turnigy gtx3 with this board, Friday night and it appears to work just fine

Only issue appears to be that I can only set EPA on the right turn. To set the left turn I have to use the throttle to change the arrow direction which is just an annoyance but not deal breaker. Have I missed a setting somewhere or is it coz it's not a gt3b/gt3c radio?

PS. Flashing was a breeze. You don't even need to solder the legs on, just lean the on the holes and don't bloody touch it when you click GO!
Thats how you chose between left/right epa's on all the versions of the radio...

And i DON'T recommend just leaning the pins, It doesn't create a very good contact with the board and has bricked a couple radios in the past. (I used to to do this, after I bricked a second radio I came up with an alternative).

I've also had two customers brick their radios as well.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #3849
Got Worms?

They're in stock and I sent out an email to the waiting list
Old 02-22-2015, 05:22 PM   #3850

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
They're in stock and I sent out an email to the waiting list
Got mine ordered! Thanks losikid
77ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #3851

Just placed my order. Thank You!!!!
Irwin Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #3852

placed my order, also! thanks austin - losikid.

losikid, quick question: is the power switch moved from the center of the steering wheel? i did not see it listed under the "options" menu.

again, thanks for offering this modded radio!

-tom
twb4525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #3853
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twb4525 View Post
placed my order, also! thanks austin - losikid.

losikid, quick question: is the power switch moved from the center of the steering wheel? i did not see it listed under the "options" menu.

again, thanks for offering this modded radio!

-tom
It's still in the center of the wheel, but it has been redesigned and not an issue now.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #3854

Quote:
It's still in the center of the wheel, but it has been redesigned and not an issue now.
Awesome. Thanks again. When do u plan on having gt3c batteries back in stock?
twb4525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:13 PM   #3855
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twb4525 View Post
Awesome. Thanks again. When do u plan on having gt3c batteries back in stock?
No current plans...Not saying I won't stock them, just no plans right now.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:06 PM   #3856
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Thats how you chose between left/right epa's on all the versions of the radio...

And i DON'T recommend just leaning the pins, It doesn't create a very good contact with the board and has bricked a couple radios in the past. (I used to to do this, after I bricked a second radio I came up with an alternative).

I've also had two customers brick their radios as well.
Yes, I do understand the risk of bricking the tx but it was late and I was lazy.

On the turnigy you use the wheel, not the trigger to change steering direction for EPA. I suppose it's a difference between these and the gt3bs.
savagedustbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:28 PM   #3857
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yes, I do understand the risk of bricking the tx but it was late and I was lazy.

On the turnigy you use the wheel, not the trigger to change steering direction for EPA. I suppose it's a difference between these and the gt3bs.
The turnigy Gt3x is the same board as the Gt3b. Outer case is the difference. Have set up a bunch here in our club. Switches are a different side for Dr and trim.... About 5mm shorter than Gt3b. If you can get a hold of either Austin's or stock Gt3b switches they will be longer than stock and easier to control.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:11 PM   #3858
Got Worms?

Quote:
It's the same on all the radios...
Old 02-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #3859

Ok, i will give flashing my Turnigy GTX3 a go, thanks for the input.

And, after replacing the stock VR with the Recom one, battery drainage is 1/2 of what it was stock on my test. Best mod ever. Now to quiet down the fans on my Turnigy 400 Mega Charger, it thinks it's a jet engine....
ipattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:48 PM   #3860
Rock Crawler

Losikid. Bought a new radio for my son to use. I have pins soldered to mother board. 4 pin cable to programer USB cable from programer to computer. When I plug it in the screen lights up and the radio beeps, steady stream of beeps. I try to program and I get

Can not cmmunicate with the device!
Check the SWIM cable connections and all the needed pin connections on the SWIM Connector

What is my next move? Re check solder joints?
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/321742-gt3b-hack-question-answer-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
RoboSavvy Forum :: View topic - SAM-3 Servo teardown This thread Refback 03-05-2013 12:49 PM