Notices

Thread: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2018, 06:32 PM   #4801
RCC Addict

Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesco View Post
I have 5 Flysky GT3Cs, all modded to 8ch. Love them, except for one small fault with all of them. The foam of the steering wheel.
Too lose even with new ones and the steering wheel is wider as the foam. The foam always slip and slide on the wheel.

But... I found a perfect and cheap replacement foam! If you have the same problem, here is the solution.

Get yourself a new foam from Traxxas. Part number #2224. It is the foam for most of their transmitters. I tried the foam of my Traxxas TRX-4 transmitter on my Flysky GT3C. Perfect fit.
The inner diameter of the Traxxas foam is just a bit smaller as the GT3C foam, but perfect for the GT3C wheel. You have to strech the Traxxas foam just a bit over the GT3C wheel and than no more slip.

Bonus, it is just as wide as the GT3C steering wheel, so no more sliding from side to side of the foam over the wheel. And it is also thicker. That last part makes another mod possible. Because now you can use another mod that was only designed for the GT3B.

Because the outer diameter is with this Traxxas foam the same as the outer diameter of the GT3B wheel, you can now 3D print yourself the (OHD) One Hand Drive for FLY Sky FS-GT3B Radio designed by Adam @ Spare Time Hobbies and available at Pinshape.
https://pinshape.com/items/22466-3d-...-fs-gt3b-radio

This OHD mod will not work on the GT3C with the original GT3C foam without changing the design, as in changing the inner diameter of the OHD. But it will work with the thicker Traxxas foam mod without changing anything to the 3D print design.

So there you have it, a mod for a better foam and a way to use your GT3C (and offcourse GT3B) with only one hand.

Yup!!! I've seen the same issue with my GT3C foam. Thanks for the 2224 tip!
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2018, 12:31 AM   #4802
Rock Crawler

Yeah, thanks. That one-hand jobber is pretty cool, but it's easy to scale an item down a few percent with most printing & modeling programs.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:31 AM   #4803
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Yup!!! I've seen the same issue with my GT3C foam. Thanks for the 2224 tip!
You're welcome!
Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:35 AM   #4804
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon92 View Post
Yeah, thanks. That one-hand jobber is pretty cool, but it's easy to scale an item down a few percent with most printing & modeling programs.
I know, I tried that, but still had the problem of the original foam sliding left to right and back and sliding back and forth. It is justtoo narrow and a bit too wide. For me replacing the foam with the Traxxas one solved the problem without the need to resize the one-hand jobber.
Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #4805

Hi all, I am in need of a bit of help. I have read a TON of this thread, but have not come across anyone with my particular problem, or at least no solution that has worked for me. I am trying to load the firmware to a GT3C. Using a relatively new Windows 10 machine, a little acer netbook. As per Overkill's instructions I have downloaded the visual programmer, and the patch file for it. I've got a USB st v2 programmer, and I have soldered the pins into the board.

And it doesn't bloody work. when I plug it in the radio starts beeping away like I understand they all do, but every time I try to read the code, or flash the new firmware I get a "cannot communicate with board" message. The light on the ST V2 blinks so it seems to be doing something, and I get the usual windows jingle when I plug it in and unplug it.

I have spent 2 hours fiddling with this, googling it, and finding all sorts of conflicting advice as to what may be the problem. anyone know of anything that could be causing this? The only thing I am not 100% sure on is the order of the wires as Overkill plays a bit coy about it in those old instructions as he was selling kits at the time and didn't want to give the farm away. I'll attach a photo of how I have it setup.

https://imgur.com/a/0vNYwQa
Blaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #4806
Rock Stacker

I believe I ran into a similar issue as you Blaize a few months back. after much frustration, the last thing I tried was restarting my computer and trying all over again. That probably "finished" the install of the software. It all of sudden worked for me after doing that.
FastMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #4807

Thanks man, but I have been at this 3 days so far. I've rebooted and restarted over a dozen times. Just tried again and still no dice. I am beginning to think it may be a windows 10 problem as I have found a few other people who have run into these sorts of problems and digging out an old win 7 pc would fix it. Sadly I am all mac aside from this netbook that I only own for stuff like this. That or perhaps |I got a duff programmer. At £5 I may just order another and see if that makes any difference. Mabye a blue one next time.....
Blaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #4808
I wanna be Dave

Same issue here, i have hacked about six radios before , but i am having the same issue on my windows 10 pro. it reads...LINE 7 NOT IN MOTOROLA S19 FORMAT
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:13 AM   #4809
Rock Crawler

Seems like I have seen in this thread before that Windows 10 is problematic.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:09 AM   #4810
I wanna be Dave

Hang on, i got it working...first i opened got the stvp and read the radio hex, no problem i then opened the new hex file and read got the message, said wtf and hit program anyway and the radio got programmed, maybe the error we get is what has us going in circles? like i said, got the error and hit program
and all is fine.
Attached Images

Last edited by cartronicshn; 11-22-2018 at 09:12 AM.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #4811

I am having an issue downloading the latest firmware. When I click the link here http://www.overkillrc.com/GT3B/GT3B-...gt3b-0.6.1.s19 I just get a web page of text. No download or anything. Anyone seen this?
scho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:26 AM   #4812
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho3 View Post
I am having an issue downloading the latest firmware. When I click the link here http://www.overkillrc.com/GT3B/GT3B-...gt3b-0.6.1.s19 I just get a web page of text. No download or anything. Anyone seen this?
Your web browser is choosing to show the file rather than download it. Right-click the file and choose Save Link As... (at least in Chrome, that's how you would do it). This will cause it to save the file to disk.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #4813

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
Your web browser is choosing to show the file rather than download it. Right-click the file and choose Save Link As... (at least in Chrome, that's how you would do it). This will cause it to save the file to disk.
Thank you sir. I appreciate it!
scho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:45 PM   #4814
Rock Stacker

ok, so I have updated the radio and the stvp says program memory successfully verified. now my radio will not turn on! Any ideas? did I brick it?
vypr2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:01 AM   #4815
RCC Addict

It may seem dumb and not sure if this is the case been a while since I hacked one but I think the radio will be beep and light up etc with the usb hooked up without batteries in it, are there batteries in it? I did this once pretty sure so that's why I'm asking lol
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #4816
Rock Stacker

I figured it out. at some point I somehow erased the whole darn thing! I was able to finally get it back and the update finished. I know have to learn how to set it up
Old 12-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #4817
Rock Stacker

So, I have the gt3c hacked and working.
I have the 8ch Rx and a 3ch Rx. I can find them but nothing works. No steering, throttle. I set it for 8 ch in the settings. Anyone have some ideas or tips. I read through the hack manual and it just talks about the secret menus and what does what.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:52 AM   #4818

Hi all,

Unfortunately, in the PSX firmware guide I found online, the section for channel mixes hasn't been completed. Therefore, does anyone know how I could achieve a tank-steer/ v-tail mix between the steering and throttle channels on a hacked GT3B? Its for a fighting robot and I'd rather not have a separate mixer in the robot as I've known them to mess with the required fail-safe.

Cheers

​​​​​​​Dan
danjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:38 PM   #4819

I need one for trx4 is this hacked one any good?

https://www.banggood.com/DasMikro-Cu...r_warehouse=CN

Last edited by DaveCrawls35; 12-26-2018 at 05:41 PM.
DaveCrawls35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:51 PM   #4820
RCC Addict

That'll work , follow the Trx setup video on YouTube and you'll be all set.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/321742-gt3b-hack-question-answer-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
RoboSavvy Forum :: View topic - SAM-3 Servo teardown This thread Refback 03-05-2013 12:49 PM