Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #561
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBeGood View Post
I'm having a little trouble hacking mine. On the last step of the instructions it says to go to program and then current tab. But when I do this I get a pop up saying "Cannot communicate with the board, Wrong board selection or check board power supply or check that a previous session is closed" So I tried what it said but still cant seem to make it work, any idea how to fix this?

Thanks
Try this

Turn radio off, make sure everything is unplugged, restart your computer

Now, plug your radio into the programmer, Green/Black wire goes towards SB on the programmer and on the towards the buttons on the radio.

Plug the programmer into your computer

Open up stvp

Open the new firmware

press program.

Its very picky in the order you do this, also if you haven't flashed it before the radio should be beeping when you plug it in, if it isn't that means you have it plugged in wrong (programmer also has to be plugged into the cpu)
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #562
I wanna be Dave

Ok, so I finally broke down and bough a pair of these. Now that I am getting more into scalers I will need more and more channels so I grabbed a few of the 6ch receivers.

Looking forward to messing with them, who knows maybe I will like them on my comp rigs too. I definitely like the cost of the receivers!
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #563
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Ok, so I finally broke down and bough a pair of these. Now that I am getting more into scalers I will need more and more channels so I grabbed a few of the 6ch receivers.

Looking forward to messing with them, who knows maybe I will like them on my comp rigs too. I definitely like the cost of the receivers!
Hope you like them
Old 08-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #564
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Hope you like them
Im sure I will.

Glad to finally do some business with you, I feel like I am the last guy to buy something from you.

Put in an order last night for a hack kit and an extra header.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #565
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post

Glad to finally do some business with you, I feel like I am the last guy to buy something from you.
yep, your my most recent order

But in all reality i don't get that many sales, Only $500-1000 of profit in the past 6 months.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:16 AM   #566

Quote:
Try this

Turn radio off, make sure everything is unplugged, restart your computer

Now, plug your radio into the programmer, Green/Black wire goes towards SB on the programmer and on the towards the buttons on the radio.

Plug the programmer into your computer

Open up stvp

Open the new firmware

press program.

Its very picky in the order you do this, also if you haven't flashed it before the radio should be beeping when you plug it in, if it isn't that means you have it plugged in wrong (programmer also has to be plugged into the cpu)
I tried what you said and I'm still getting the same problem. Here's what I did.

-First I plugged the radio (radio off) into the programmer with the green wire pointed towards the bind and sb1.
-Then plugged the programmer into my laptop and the beeping started.
-Next I started up st visual programmer and opened the 6ch firmware.
-And last program current tab, but I'm still getting the same error message.

Could that be a problem with how I installed the software? There was something mentioned about a patch in the instructions which I downloaded and installed but am not using. I'm not completely confident in my soldering either which could possibly be the problem too? Or could there even be a problem with how i saved the firmware? All i did was save link as on your site and it saved as a .s19 motorola file.

Thanks

Last edited by JohnyBeGood; 08-30-2011 at 05:26 AM. Reason: mentioned the firmware
JohnyBeGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #567
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBeGood View Post
I tried what you said and I'm still getting the same problem. Here's what I did.

-First I plugged the radio (radio off) into the programmer with the green wire pointed towards the bind and sb1.
-Then plugged the programmer into my laptop and the beeping started.
-Next I started up st visual programmer and opened the 6ch firmware.
-And last program current tab, but I'm still getting the same error message.

Could that be a problem with how I installed the software? There was something mentioned about a patch in the instructions which I downloaded and installed but am not using. I'm not completely confident in my soldering either which could possibly be the problem too? Or could there even be a problem with how i saved the firmware? All i did was save link as on your site and it saved as a .s19 motorola file.

Thanks
Yes thats how to download the fw, should be .s19

Yes that is the right process to program

Did you setup the settings correctly in stvp

Click configure

make sure you have these settings

ST-Link, USB, SWIM, STM8S105x6

If this still don't work, try pulling the jumper on the 3 pin header below the programming header. (on the programmer) Then follow these instructions. (it won't beep this time)

GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

If that still don't work, put the jumper back on, and try installing the patch

Also if you think its your soldering can you get a pic of the joints.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #568
Got Worms?

Has anyone been getting duds from hobbypartz? In my past two orders i've ordered 2 gt3b's each order. Both times i got a dud, first one the th channel wan't working, i could figure out how, the one i just got today buzzer didn't work...so i stole the buzzer of the other one and out it on this one and it works just fine now. Kinda strange...if i keep getting duds like i have i may need to raise the price on my pre hacked units
Old 08-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #569
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Has anyone been getting duds from hobbypartz? In my past two orders i've ordered 2 gt3b's each order. Both times i got a dud, first one the th channel wan't working, i could figure out how, the one i just got today buzzer didn't work...so i stole the buzzer of the other one and out it on this one and it works just fine now. Kinda strange...if i keep getting duds like i have i may need to raise the price on my pre hacked units
Just got my second one today...no issues on either one.

Hobbypartz can't seem to reply to emails, so be sure and call them.
MarkThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #570

Quote:
Yes thats how to download the fw, should be .s19

Yes that is the right process to program

Did you setup the settings correctly in stvp

Click configure

make sure you have these settings

ST-Link, USB, SWIM, STM8S105x6

If this still don't work, try pulling the jumper on the 3 pin header below the programming header. (on the programmer) Then follow these instructions. (it won't beep this time)

GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

If that still don't work, put the jumper back on, and try installing the patch

Also if you think its your soldering can you get a pic of the joints.
I tried everything again and the settings are all correct and removing the jumper and turning on the radio like you said in the link but that didn't work either, I'm pretty sure I already installed the patch when I started, should I maybe try uninstalling the patch?

Here's a picture of the soldered joints, it was taken with an iphone so if the quality isn't good enough I can take another picture with a better camera.

Thanks

Old 09-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #571
Got Worms?

What OS do you have on your computer?

Try snapping the board in two...use the procedure i posted earlier.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #572
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Not radios but I have gotten some dud 3 and 6ch receivers from them though. They are a pain to deal with and contact also.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #573
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
Not radios but I have gotten some dud 3 and 6ch receivers from them though. They are a pain to deal with and contact also.
Just do a live chat, its always been good to me...although when i find out after i mod the radio i can't expect them to warranty it.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #574

Quote:
What OS do you have on your computer?

Try snapping the board in two...use the procedure i posted earlier.
I got it to work after, I uninstalled the software and reinstalled it without the patch and got a different error message. It was something about the connection to SWIM has failed. so tried resoldering the 4 pin connector on both sides and when I tried it this time it worked without any problems.

Thanks for all the help, everything is working fine now
Old 09-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #575
Got Worms?

So i was supposed to have a reamer today to get ya'll some good install instructions for the bearings. But sat at the LHS for 1.5=Hrs waiting on the fedex driver for him to never show up...there was actually quite a few people just chilling watching tv, chatting. So hopefully i'll have it tomorrow, but who knows....on another note the LHS is no longer using fedex as of afew days ago, swapped to UPS do to poor fedex service, UPS guy shows up like at 2 not 7

So i'll have ya'll some instructions in afew days for the bearing, i'll also have instructions for the AX-3 bearing install and FS-GT2.

Also if anyone has broke a trigger or something, or needs parts, LMK. I'm also interested in buying non-functional radios.

I believe i only have 1 volt regulator left before the next batch of stuff (in a week or so)

Still no info on the 12mm drills
Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #576
RCC Addict

Losikid.

I wonder if it would be possible to give us a bit of a demo post on exactly how to repair a broken antenna. I know I pulled mine loose and then I just slapped it all back together not knowing there were two different small connections. Now I am hearing I could have screwed it up and could be sending bad radio waves to my kiddo by having it messed up. The last thing my family needs is to have to explain that our son died because of RC stuff.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #577
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Losikid.

I wonder if it would be possible to give us a bit of a demo post on exactly how to repair a broken antenna. I know I pulled mine loose and then I just slapped it all back together not knowing there were two different small connections. Now I am hearing I could have screwed it up and could be sending bad radio waves to my kiddo by having it messed up. The last thing my family needs is to have to explain that our son died because of RC stuff.
Yea i'll work on that, i'm abit packed though right now....but yea i'll work on it.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #578
RCC Addict

Thanks man. I will crack mine open again and see if it is more simple than I noticed.

You have been gracious to address the issues we have all had and to be honest this thead has gotten pretty long and hard to sort out in some ways, so I know things get redundant. Thanks for putting up with us.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #579
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Thanks man. I will crack mine open again and see if it is more simple than I noticed.

You have been gracious to address the issues we have all had and to be honest this thead has gotten pretty long and hard to sort out in some ways, so I know things get redundant. Thanks for putting up with us.
Its more of a Q&A thread...i try to post important stuff on page 1

The antenna is a coax cable, so a center strand (like 32 awg or smaller) and then there is a brain.

There's 3 pads on the module

The center wire goes to the middle pad, and the brain goes on the pad towards the front of the radio (buttons)

The pads are .050" sq. and there is a .025" gap between them
Old 09-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #580
I wanna be Dave

Ummm....the outer wire covering on coax is a "drain", not "brain". The center wire is the actual antenna, the outer drain acts as shielding for part of the antenna.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/321742-gt3b-hack-question-answer-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
RoboSavvy Forum :: View topic - SAM-3 Servo teardown This thread Refback 03-05-2013 12:49 PM