Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics
Loading

Notices

Thread: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #1121
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 402
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

I just ordered on of these. Has anyone tried the Rx past the 6.5v input stated? Just curious.
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #1122
Got Worms?
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 6,116
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
I just ordered on of these. Has anyone tried the Rx past the 6.5v input stated? Just curious.
I've ran mine off a 2s lipo...although i did the same thing with another one in my moa and it burnt up within 30 minutes. So it may be only some rx's don't like the higher voltages
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #1123
Got Worms?
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 6,116
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Just so ya'll know, i'm going thru a server/hosting change and if you need any of the files i've posted, make sure its overkillrc.webs.com/... instead of overkillrc.com/...
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #1124
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: 07456 N. NJ USofA
Posts: 8,314
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
I just ordered on of these. Has anyone tried the Rx past the 6.5v input stated? Just curious.
Not yet, but I would hesitate running any more voltage through the RX than needed.
If you want to run an external BEC for servo power, I would run it direct to the servo & leave the RX out of it.
Some of the RX's have very thin board traces, thus a high load will likely burn the traces off the board inside.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #1125
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 402
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Not yet, but I would hesitate running any more voltage through the RX than needed.
If you want to run an external BEC for servo power, I would run it direct to the servo & leave the RX out of it.
Some of the RX's have very thin board traces, thus a high load will likely burn the traces off the board inside.
Thanks. I usually just run 6v to the rx, but a
Servo I am planning on running can take 7.4v. I'll look
To see how I can direct power it.
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #1126
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: out in boonies!!
Posts: 349
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Alrighty got my 8 spoke wheel, looks killer!! One thing how does original wheel come off before I make a boo boo?? Supposed to remove 3 Philips and unsrew wheel from inside?
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #1127
Got Worms?
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 6,116
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinner View Post
Alrighty got my 8 spoke wheel, looks killer!! One thing how does original wheel come off before I make a boo boo?? Supposed to remove 3 Philips and unsrew wheel from inside?
You have to pull the center cap off...is a pita todo it to make it look good, but unless you want to save the center cap i'd just drill a hole in it and use pliers to pull it out.

If you do want to save the original wheel and cap, you have to take a thick needle or some sort of thin and hard steel, stab it into that little hole on the bottom and try and pry it off.

See my bearing mod instructions
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #1128
Gold Star Baby!
 
redrokin00XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SOUTH JORDAN, UT
Posts: 1,245
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

I run my CC BEC at 7.4v and I run it directly to my servo and the only wire going to the RX is the yellow signal wire.
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #1129
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SAN DIEGO
Posts: 242
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
WOW, why such a big button? wouldn't it be ideal to make a more low profile power switch?

miketanct over at rctech made a fantastic hack for the power button.
Making it flush keeps it from getting inadvertently pushed and just looks Sic!

It's A Super Easy Hack.
It took me about five minutes to open case, figure it out, make the mod, and seal her back up.

Just open the case, pull button straight off the switch, cut about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch off the inside edge of the button. Push button back on switch and close it all back up.

Note the location of the small notch on the inside edge of the button before you modify the button. You will need to remake this notch on the new inside edge of the button after cutting it. This is so that when you push the button it clears a tiny resistor on the board.



I also Highly recommend making the super easy backlight mod as well. It makes it visible in daylight...novel concept. Just peel the polarized film over. takes 30 seconds!

Last edited by BELADOG; 02-07-2012 at 12:09 AM.
BELADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #1130
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Raleign
Posts: 1,439
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Are any of you having issues with it losing settings when off for some time? I have the steering trim I set to about 10 to the right and it resets back to 0 when it's off for about a day. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the power switch issue. The stock is a DPDT (double pole double throw) where it's really just a SPDT (single pole double throw) where the left and right are both common to each other. I'm wondering if it needs to roll back to the other side to store settings while off though. Any ideas?
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #1131
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Raleign
Posts: 1,439
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrokin00XJ View Post
I run my CC BEC at 7.4v and I run it directly to my servo and the only wire going to the RX is the yellow signal wire.
I'm actually making a servo/bec harness for mine. You take two female ends and one male end, just wire the +/- up between the females, and the yellow to the yellow on the male. Don't connect the +/- to the male.

Then the male plugs into the receiver, the bec into one female and the servo into the other. This will send power only to the servo then signal from the receiver.

Let me know if you guys need a diagram and I'll sketch one up quick.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #1132
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: out in boonies!!
Posts: 349
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

BELADOG - kool thanks for sharing. Where ya get the film thou?
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #1133
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Raleign
Posts: 1,439
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

I think it was in one of the other threads, you actually pull off the very top layer from the actual LCD, then stick it on the back side of the window in the case. This essentially flips the polarizing and you get the reverted characters.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #1134
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 402
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
I'm actually making a servo/bec harness for mine. You take two female ends and one male end, just wire the +/- up between the females, and the yellow to the yellow on the male. Don't connect the +/- to the male.

Then the male plugs into the receiver, the bec into one female and the servo into the other. This will send power only to the servo then signal from the receiver.

Let me know if you guys need a diagram and I'll sketch one up quick.
I'd like to see that, as I will have a servo that takes 7.4v
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #1135
Got Worms?
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 6,116
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
I'd like to see that, as I will have a servo that takes 7.4v
Have you seen this

Receiver bypass adapter
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #1136
Got Worms?
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 6,116
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Hey guys, i think i've found a good lipo for this

GForce 2700mAh 7.4V LiPO Transmitter Pack (DX

I think you can shove two of them into the battery box supplying your radio with 5400ma's of JUICE.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #1137
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Raleign
Posts: 1,439
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Have you seen this

Receiver bypass adapter
Yeah, that's what I'm making. That's a little shorter. I do like the idea of adding the ground wire to prevent glitching too.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #1138
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SAN DIEGO
Posts: 242
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinner View Post
BELADOG - kool thanks for sharing. Where ya get the film thou?
Thanks but not my hack. I found it on RCTECH. pretty sure its here as well.

The Polarized film is already on the lcd
You peel it off. Its a PIA to get off (just really slow)
Dont worry too much about the sticky residue. I spent about an hour with goof off then realized you dont see it anyway.

turn the radio on and hold the film over the lcd. You can flip it over and see the difference. It's pretty incredible. Looks like the Futaba 10C once flipped.
Then you can either just set it on top of the LCD and put the case back on, or, if you are worried about it sliding, just use some clear Scotch tape to hold it down.
BELADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #1139
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Golden
Posts: 2,588
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELADOG View Post
Thanks but not my hack. I found it on RCTECH. pretty sure its here as well.

The Polarized film is already on the lcd
You peel it off. Its a PIA to get off (just really slow)
Dont worry too much about the sticky residue. I spent about an hour with goof off then realized you dont see it anyway.

turn the radio on and hold the film over the lcd. You can flip it over and see the difference. It's pretty incredible. Looks like the Futaba 10C once flipped.
Then you can either just set it on top of the LCD and put the case back on, or, if you are worried about it sliding, just use some clear Scotch tape to hold it down.

I did two radios with this mod, and the first one went fine, but the second one came off without the adhesive, so I had to just tape that one to the window. So, be careful, and go slow.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #1140
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SAN DIEGO
Posts: 242
Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

if the glue stays on the film or the glass on the lcd you can use goof off. It takes a bit but it will come off.
BELADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/321742-gt3b-hack-question-answer-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
RoboSavvy Forum :: View topic - SAM-3 Servo teardown This thread Refback 03-05-2013 01:49 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com