Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #1221

Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
For those wondering, the gt3b fw currently does not support a pot or switch in place of the ch3 button like it should be able to

I just got done trying to get it to work
Losikid, can it be done on other channels then? What`s the point of having all these channels if they can only be 2 or 3 position switches?
If I understand correctly, they are not proportional channels then?
I ordered the six channel version, I am assuming only throttle and steering are proportional, the extra 4 channels are all for switches but no possibility of using a pot? Bummer! I hope that further firmware developments will fix this.
magellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #1222
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Losikid, can it be done on other channels then? What`s the point of having all these channels if they can only be 2 or 3 position switches?
If I understand correctly, they are not proportional channels then?
I ordered the six channel version, I am assuming only throttle and steering are proportional, the extra 4 channels are all for switches but no possibility of using a pot? Bummer! I hope that further firmware developments will fix this.
when it is fixed, it'll still be limited to 1 pot.

but it has more than just 2 and 3 pos switches...what setup would you need more than one pot for?
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
when it is fixed, it'll still be limited to 1 pot.

but it has more than just 2 and 3 pos switches...what setup would you need more than one pot for?
If I can get one pot to work, it will do the trick for me for sure. I just need it for a proportional pan of the FPV camera.
The extra channels I will use for lights or perhaps a plow. They don`t require a proportional channel so it`s not an issue.
Correct me if I am wrong but I am sure lots of people will like having a full on proportional channel they can do whatever they want with. I can think of multiple applications other than panning a camera. Unless switches alone permit doing what a pot would do, panning left and right (proportionally) then recentering when finished, a pot is a necessity for such a feature.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #1224
Got Worms?

Quote:
If I can get one pot to work, it will do the trick for me for sure. I just need it for a proportional pan of the FPV camera.
The extra channels I will use for lights or perhaps a plow. They don`t require a proportional channel so it`s not an issue.
Correct me if I am wrong but I am sure lots of people will like having a full on proportional channel they can do whatever they want with. I can think of multiple applications other than panning a camera. Unless switches alone permit doing what a pot would do, panning left and right (proportionally) then recentering when finished, a pot is a necessity for such a feature.
Simply assign a switch with 1% step (bigger to pan faster) then use the auto repeat function
Old 02-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #1225

Thanks guys, now I understand how the mix works, and it turns out I had it working fine the whole time. It was not the double tap on the reverse that was preventing me from doing the opposite rotation, it had not occurred to me that that would take place at full throttle. I can tap it once in reverse, turn the wheel to the stop, then give it full forword or full reverse, and it will sit there and spin like a top. After taking a brief look at calc.c I also understand now why steering is so sensitive, and what the D/R setting is all about. Apparently, it mixes the steering in at 200%, which would seem to indicate that with full throttle and 50% steering, one track would come to a stop. So, it looks like the thing to do is to use D/R set to 100% when I want to spin, and some lower value for normal driving.

I'm pretty happy at this point, and I see myself with three choices, all of which are acceptable.

I can use it as it is.
I can use an external mixer.
I can learn a little bit of C programming and rewrite the mixer to work the way I want.

My laziness suggests using the first choice, but I very much like to get my own way, so I may very well go for the last choice. This seems to be a really great radio, I thank PSX and losikid for that

Ed
The Doktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #1226
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Many crawlers and scale drivers that require multiple proportional channels use standard 4ch radios like we use with our aircraft. It is very simple to modify a 4ch+ aircraft radio with a wheel, and if you wanted, or felt you Needed to, you could also mount a trigger on the back Lol. (seen it a bunch)

Any channel on say, a Futaba 4EX (very inexpensive 4ch) are already wired with potentiometers...two on each stick Lol. You can pan and tilt with no mods at all. Many 6ch radios use "slider" trim tabs on either side of the cases for flap control. These can be programmed easily to control your throttle channel if you like. Or use the left stick with a ratchet for your throttle and right stick for pan/tilt. You then have a free channel on the left stick for left and right steer or front/rear steer. A few years back (20) pistol grips did not exist and we were all using 4ch two stick radios to drive.

I still think if you try a switch for your pan you would like it and find it more than adequate...and comfortable. But you wont know till you try ; )
you could use the d/r switch on the handle. At center its center. a fwd press for right and a rearward press for left maybe? There is a return to center feature as well you could enact.

Last edited by BELADOG; 02-19-2012 at 06:30 PM.
BELADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELADOG View Post
Many crawlers and scale drivers that require multiple proportional channels use standard 4ch radios like we use with our aircraft. It is very simple to modify a 4ch+ aircraft radio with a wheel, and if you wanted, or felt you Needed to, you could also mount a trigger on the back Lol. (seen it a bunch)

Any channel on say, a Futaba 4EX (very inexpensive 4ch) are already wired with potentiometers...two on each stick Lol. You can pan and tilt with no mods at all. Many 6ch radios use "slider" trim tabs on either side of the cases for flap control. These can be programmed easily to control your throttle channel if you like. Or use the left stick with a ratchet for your throttle and right stick for pan/tilt. You then have a free channel on the left stick for left and right steer or front/rear steer. A few years back (20) pistol grips did not exist and we were all using 4ch two stick radios to drive.

I still think if you try a switch for your pan you would like it and find it more than adequate...and comfortable. But you wont know till you try ; )
you could use the d/r switch on the handle. At center its center. a fwd press for right and a rearward press for left maybe? There is a return to center feature as well you could enact.
BELADOG, thanks for your detailed answer. I suppose switches would do the trick then if I can pan the camera in increments left or right and recenter when needed, then I don't even need a pot. I will experiment with the unit when it arrives and post my comments here. I also thought of building my own Pistol radio based on a Turnigy 9X with the hacked firmware, I already have one for my planes and with the hacked firmware, the possibilities are endless. You get 7 proportional channels (pot driven) and 2 switch driven channels (flaps and gear). Looking forward to playing with the hacked GT3B.
This is a cool project!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #1228
Rock Crawler

Ordered a radio from you last night. Looking forward to receiving it. Thanks for the hard work!
Terminator13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #1229

i am looking for three radios and recivers for my three scx10s, i want to run them all at the same time and plan on upgrading to have dig units, winches and 4ws, would three of your radios and recivers be able to work together and do all of that, with out having issues, i am thinking that 6 channals each would be good.
Bronco2x84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #1230
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco2x84 View Post
i am looking for three radios and recivers for my three scx10s, i want to run them all at the same time and plan on upgrading to have dig units, winches and 4ws, would three of your radios and recivers be able to work together and do all of that, with out having issues, i am thinking that 6 channals each would be good.
Yes...just bind them seperatly
Old 02-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #1231

what does the radio look like, i havent seen what it looks like and i searched gt3b and all that comes up is the fs-gt3b, is that the right one, how do you give the controller six channals?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #1232
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
what does the radio look like, i havent seen what it looks like and i searched gt3b and all that comes up is the fs-gt3b, is that the right one, how do you give the controller six channals?
Yes, a FS-GT3B is what LosiKid sells.
He has a "hack" that greatly expands the capabilities of the radio.
For the price (hacked) it can do pretty much anything you need for a crawler.

I am currently playing with one, I am late on posting pictures comparing it to a Futaba 3PM-x & a Futaba 4PL.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #1233
Pebble Pounder

Gave it a go and bought one and I am NOT regretting it. I immediately set out to put all six channels to use, and I've done it! No build thread, but this is just about the radio, eh?
CH1 Steering (HiTec 645MG)
CH2 Throttle (Novak 18.5 Brushless)
CH3 Dig - 3 position on the CH3 Trim (HiTec 645MG on a RC4WD 2-speed dig tranny)
CH4 2-Speed - 2 position on the CH3 button (see above)
CH5 Front winch - momentary on the CH1 Trim (HiTec 645MG, converted)
CH6 Rear winch - momentary on the CH2 Trim (HiTec 645MG, converted)
...with some lights thrown in to boot!

I guess I better get on a pic thread now. :/
pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #1234

so, do you not have any control over trims after this?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #1235
Got Worms?

Quote:
so, do you not have any control over trims after this?
Yes, through the menu/screen
Old 02-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #1236
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You could always visit his webpage on overkill RC and get all the pix and info you need. Link should be on page 1

via taptalk on my G2X with cyanogen mod 7
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #1237
RCC Addict

Which setting do I use below to reverse the direction of the trim? I have it set so I pull back on the bottom one and it gives me front dig (I didn't like pushing forward because it was uncomfortable, pulling back is easier for me).

Anyway, I want to reverse the direction of the bias so I can pull back for more rear and push forward for more forward, while the other switch is still inverted. Would I set the one below to REV (marked with an arrow)?

Code:
Dual ESC Mixing Template: (0.3.2 and 0.4.0 fw's)

Ch3 trim-Momentary 3 postion dig
D/R-Bias with 20% step rate
Turn radio on
press enter
scroll till E. Points highlighted
Press and hold enter for 1.5 seconds
E. point should now be blinking
scroll so "d" is blinking (far left)
press enter
scroll till 3 is blinking
press enter
make sure 0 is blinking, if not scroll so it is
Press and hold enter for 1 second
Scroll so REV is highlighted
Rev should now be blinking
Scroll so 3 is blinking
press enter
Scroll so DIG is blinking
press enter
scroll to MOM
press enter
Scroll so NOR is blinking
press enter
scroll so PRV is blinking
press enter
scroll so d is blinking
press enter
scroll to DIG
press enter
scroll so RES is blinking
press enter
scroll to 20
press enter
scroll so NOR is blinking  <----- change this to REV???
press enter
scroll so N00 is Blinking
press enter
press and hold enter for 1.5 seconds
press end
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #1238
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
Which setting do I use below to reverse the direction of the trim? I have it set so I pull back on the bottom one and it gives me front dig (I didn't like pushing forward because it was uncomfortable, pulling back is easier for me).

Anyway, I want to reverse the direction of the bias so I can pull back for more rear and push forward for more forward, while the other switch is still inverted. Would I set the one below to REV (marked with an arrow)?

Code:
Dual ESC Mixing Template: (0.3.2 and 0.4.0 fw's)

Ch3 trim-Momentary 3 postion dig
D/R-Bias with 20% step rate
Turn radio on
press enter
scroll till E. Points highlighted
E. point should now be blinking
scroll so "d" is blinking (far left)
press enter
scroll till 3 is blinking
press enter
make sure 0 is blinking, if not scroll so it is
Press and hold enter for 1 second
Scroll so REV is highlighted
Rev should now be blinking
Scroll so 3 is blinking
press enter
Scroll so DIG is blinking
press enter
scroll to MOM
press enter
Scroll so NOR is blinking
press enter
scroll so PRV is blinking
press enter
scroll so d is blinking
press enter
scroll to DIG
press enter
scroll so RES is blinking
press enter
scroll to 20
press enter
scroll so NOR is blinking  <----- change this to REV???
press enter
scroll so N00 is Blinking
press enter
press and hold enter for 1.5 seconds
press end
Yes, set it to REV

Was you afraid to try it?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #1239
RCC Addict

I actually tried it before I came back here to check so I guess I wasn't afraid . It seems that up to about 20% I have good mix and dropped the percentage down to 5%. I'm thinking I might go the next step down too. I have some driving tomorrow afternoon so I'll get some good tuning time.

I need to re-read the instructions again that were posted to understand the other settings more.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #1240
Quarry Creeper

I need help.

I want to setup CH 4 for a three position servo and using the -D/R+ button, Channel 5 to control a winch using TH Trim buttons, and CH 6 to control light on and off using a servo board to power LEDs and using the CH3 button
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/321742-gt3b-hack-question-answer-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
RoboSavvy Forum :: View topic - SAM-3 Servo teardown This thread Refback 03-05-2013 12:49 PM