Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #201
I wanna be Dave

Success! So i tried again on a whim and it flashed right away!
it seems that the programing plug that goes to the TX was off by one pin
I have Unplugged and re plugged it many times and it seems i was always off a bit. everything flashed fine. thanks so much!

Im going to try and flash again on my W7 machine to verify in a bit
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #202
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Success! So i tried again on a whim and it flashed right away!
it seems that the programing plug that goes to the TX was off by one pin
I have Unplugged and re plugged it many times and it seems i was always off a bit. everything flashed fine. thanks so much!

Im going to try and flash again on my W7 machine to verify in a bit
So you was off one pin this whole time?

That would explain it.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #203
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
So you was off one pin this whole time?

That would explain it.
yea and whats crazy is Ive unplugged and put it back multiple times and still was off. So far Ive just rolled through the menus Ill set up a model or 2 in a bit.
I now have 8 channels to play with..well 6 limited to by RX, but I'm not worried about it. 13 model memory is enough for me and now that it works i can flash as needed.
I have to admit now i want a MOA and dual ESC setup just because i can
Old 07-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #204
Got Worms?

If you haven't installed your kit already, here is my finished (still a draft) install instructions

http://www.overkillrc.com/GT3B/GT3B%...raft%202.0.pdf
Old 07-14-2011, 01:49 AM   #205
RCC Addict

I know I asked before and know you are busy with quite a few things, but when you get a chance can you look into writing something up for the 4 wheel steer? What im trying to accomplish is to set up the channel 3 trim to be 3 position where 1 is crab (opposite mixing) 2 is just front steer (no mixing) and 3 is standard 4 wheel steer (same direction mixing). Then was thinking if it was possible at the same time to setup -D/R+ as three position with full left rear steer, center and full right rear steer. Like I said no rush, ive tried it many times just to accomplish the first one and have yet to succeed. Im sure I screwed everything up in the particular model and may be the reason im having issues discovering the correct path. Thanks again for all your help and creating a "buy-able" kit for this Austin
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #206
I wanna be Dave

So I followed the directions for turning the key mapping function off for channels 1 and 2. It still doesn't save my trim settings. What else could it be?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #207
Rock Crawler

It does not save my trim settings for channel 2.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #208
Rock Crawler

also in your manual could you show how to set up lights. Maybe one channel to turn them on and off, and one channel a mix with channel 2 for brake lights?
Old 07-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #209
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
I know I asked before and know you are busy with quite a few things, but when you get a chance can you look into writing something up for the 4 wheel steer? What im trying to accomplish is to set up the channel 3 trim to be 3 position where 1 is crab (opposite mixing) 2 is just front steer (no mixing) and 3 is standard 4 wheel steer (same direction mixing). Then was thinking if it was possible at the same time to setup -D/R+ as three position with full left rear steer, center and full right rear steer. Like I said no rush, ive tried it many times just to accomplish the first one and have yet to succeed. Im sure I screwed everything up in the particular model and may be the reason im having issues discovering the correct path. Thanks again for all your help and creating a "buy-able" kit for this Austin
As of right now this is not possible...only way to do 4ws is have a 3 way switch, which is rear, mix, front .. then for crab you must use ch3 button or another button to activate/deactivate it.... basically 4ws is dual esc, but mixing ch 1 instead of 2. However i'm working on getting another task for psx, to give mixing alot more freedom. Which what you want to do should become possible if psx redo's the mixing. But it may be awhile before i figure out how psx can separate key mapping and mixing to two different menu's, but still work with each other...i have an idea, but i haven't really investigated much yet as i'm busy with other stuff.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #210
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
So I followed the directions for turning the key mapping function off for channels 1 and 2. It still doesn't save my trim settings. What else could it be?
It worked for me...are you sure you turned off ch 1 and 2 trims?

This means you have to go through the menu to trim your channels.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #211
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post
also in your manual could you show how to set up lights. Maybe one channel to turn them on and off, and one channel a mix with channel 2 for brake lights?
This would require a light controller, because an rx can't power lights on/off.

for simple on/off functions it'll require a some sort of rx powered switch, heyok sells one, i have one, special order, but its REALLY small, and theres other ones that can be found around the web. They run off a 2+ position switch

As for the tail lights mixed with throttle. Thats easily don't through a fancy led controller. But it becomes more complicated on the radio especially when there is a very limited screen...but i have been discussing this with psx alittle bit, and it may become something in the future, but don't keep your hopes up.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #212
Rock Crawler

aH thats right its a signal being sent not power. I forgot.

Anyways the dig is working great! Thanks.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #213
I wanna be Dave

if you have any cheap RTR or stripped/dead servos you can use the servo board to power LEDs. if you wire it right it will give you 2 on positions on a 3 way switch with center being off. you can find a few tutorials in the electronics sub forum Im sure
Old 07-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #214
Quarry Creeper

I got mine to flash last night finally with the vista/win7 patch ,now just need to order up some 6 channel recievers. I just followed the thread over on RCT and soldered in the servo extension out the battery door,but after seeing your kit I like it better and much cleaner good job on that.
Keep up the good work
docsrcrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #215
I wanna be Dave

Alright, I looked back through this thread and saw it mentioned that the sub-trims will save, which are just as easy to adjust as the regular trims. So that's what I've been using. I'm now 100% happy with this mod.

Thanks for the help setting this up losikid!
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #216
Rock Crawler

Yep, I use the sub trims as well. Totally happy with the hack. A $35 radio with reciever and additional recievers for $8, and they're tiny!!! Cant beat it!
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #217
Rock Stacker

Just wanted to report today I got my GT3b radio working perfectly. Gets kinda confusing when you are trying to multiple things so here is what I have.

Losi Comp with 4WS, Crab, Front Steer, Rear Steer, and the dig works. CH3 turns crab off, ch3 trim is on a 3 way (right is front steer 100%, center 0% 4ws, left -100% rear steer.) and D/R is setup for dig kinda still working on this but it works most of the time (0% front dig, 50% 4wd, and 100% rear dig) .

Really this has no real purpose other than I wanted to make it work. I will get some video today of it working.

Chris

Last edited by vette66_00; 07-16-2011 at 12:25 PM.
vette66_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #218
I wanna be Dave

im really liking this hack more all the time. on my losi moa its running 2 sidewinders mixed, i have a rc converted CAT 245 excavator with 2 esc for the tracks mixed and one for boom and one for the bucket, on my tamiya knight hauler i have the normal steering and throttle and 3sp shifting along with a channel to turn the lights on/off with a micro servo & switch, fifth wheel plate lock/unlock, and a servo & switch for high & low beam headlights so it has all 6chs used up. thanks losikid for offering this hack kit, doing the instructions, and helping everyone out with any issues.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #219
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette66_00 View Post
Just wanted to report today I got my GT3b radio working perfectly. Gets kinda confusing when you are trying to multiple things so here is what I have.

Losi Comp with 4WS, Crab, Front Steer, Rear Steer, and the dig works. CH3 turns crab off, ch3 trim is on a 3 way (right is front steer 100%, center 0% 4ws, left -100% rear steer.) and D/R is setup for dig kinda still working on this but it works most of the time (0% front dig, 50% 4wd, and 100% rear dig) .

Really this has no real purpose other than I wanted to make it work. I will get some video today of it working.

Chris

Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMCDxS-JJdk

Now let see if I can get this video to embed from youtube.

Last edited by vette66_00; 07-16-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #220
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette66_00 View Post
Was asked in the video thread about the steps to make the 4ws work.
Here is what I wrote:

sub menu EPOINT (4) to channel 4, 0%, NOC
sub menu rev 3 4WS, NOL, 1%, NOR, NOO
sub menu rev C 4WS, SWI, NOR, NPV, OFF

Steering Front is plugged into Channel 1
Steering Rear is Plugged into Channel 4

This will let you use the CH3 (3) as your selector of 4WS(center) Rear Steer(left click) and Front Steer(right click)
Then it will let you use the button to back and forth from CRAB and 4WS

Only thing I would like to see on this is in the main menu under TRIM to have the ability to trim the other channels not just 1 and 2. I had to adjust the linkage to accommodate the lack of trimming the back servo, it still not perfect but it works.

Last edited by vette66_00; 07-17-2011 at 04:04 PM.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/321742-gt3b-hack-question-answer-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
RoboSavvy Forum :: View topic - SAM-3 Servo teardown This thread Refback 03-05-2013 12:49 PM