Notices

Thread: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #2081
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappahdog View Post
OK how do I know what firmware I have and how do I change it over.

On the Mixing setting are you supposed to be able to access ch2 or is it supposed to go from ch1 to ch3?
To check the firmware, turn on the TX, press & hold the large silver knob. It should change the display to show "f041" for firmware 0.4.1 or whatever you have.

To change the firmware you need the hack kit.

I don't have my radio handy, thus I can't check what the steps are for mixing. I believe you have the choice of ch1 or ch3, you want ch3.

You may want to start with a new model memory.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #2082
Rock Crawler

Charlie, im on version f040 , is it necessary to upgrade to f041?

I will follow the steps again on a new model , and post the result;
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New model , followed instructions , same result.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just to make it crystal clear for the future/others;

I have the hack kit installed and was using that to control a punk dig , with the DR switches ,everything worked great , but i wanted mixing.

So I took out the dig and installed 2 Sidewinder micros , to ch2 and ch3 , I followed the setup steps for dual escs and I can only get ch3 to work the way its supposed to (mixing,dig)

ch2 will not link with ch3 , and the ch2 esc will not arm.

Both escs will work and arm if plugged into ch3 , neither will work if plugged into ch2.

I can't get ch3 to "talk to" ch2 , I also cant get the radio to talk to ch2.

Last edited by nappahdog; 09-30-2012 at 08:12 PM.
nappahdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #2083
I wanna be Dave

If the ESC on channel-2 won't arm, that is your issue. If it won't arm, you can't calibrate it.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #2084
Rock Crawler

If i plug into ch3 with front esc it will arm if i plug into ch3 with back esc it will arm , if i plug front or back into ch2 they will not arm.

I am aware of my problem but have no idea how to overcome it.

thanks for your help so far though.

Is it necessary to be on the newest version of firmware and how do I go about installing if it is?

I have to be missing something easy...

Last edited by nappahdog; 09-30-2012 at 08:10 PM.
nappahdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #2085
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappahdog View Post
If i plug into ch3 with front esc it will arm if i plug into ch3 with back esc it will arm , if i plug front or back into ch2 they will not arm.

I am aware of my problem but have no idea how to overcome it.

thanks for your help so far though.

Is it necessary to be on the newest version of firmware and how do I go about installing if it is?

I have to be missing something easy...
Can you try another RX? It does NOT sound like a programming issue.

Although, if the same RX worked with the dig, I'm sorta at a loss at the moment.

Maybe LosiKid will pop in with another idea.

Are both ch2 & ch3 set to the same direction? Is one possibly reversed, thus the ESC won't arm in the ch2 port?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #2086
I wanna be Dave

I would test the rx itself. Try going to another model and without making any programming changes like mixing and only have steering and one esc in ch 2 slot hooked up and see if it will arm. If it still doesn't your rx crapped out during the change over to dual esc as I don't know of any programming to make the ch2 be completely inoperable as it should at least send a neutral signal at all times when everything is powered on. The rx are cheap at least

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #2087
Got Worms?

plug a servo into channel 2...does it work?
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #2088
Rock Stacker

we tried hooking servo into channel 2 notta.. you can plug front esc into ch1 and get it to arm and work off sterring wheel. back to the question of the mixing in the radio, do your tx display 1,2,3 ch to mix with or just 1,3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
plug a servo into channel 2...does it work?
Random Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #2089
I wanna be Dave

It should be just 1and 3 iirc since how can you mix ch2 to itself. Mixing it with ch1 is for something like a boat with dual rear motors or a tracked vehicle for their steering, so you always want to select 3 for crawler dual esc mixing. If a servo didn't work then your rx is needing replaced.

benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #2090
Rock Stacker

ok thanks just wanted that cleared up, i am using a 4pk and you can mix all channels any way you want, thought it was a problem that it didnt display all 3 channels, trying to get nappahdogs straightend out.. it has been a struggle so fare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
It should be just 1and 3 iirc since how can you mix ch2 to itself. Mixing it with ch1 is for something like a boat with dual rear motors or a tracked vehicle for their steering, so you always want to select 3 for crawler dual esc mixing. If a servo didn't work then your rx is needing replaced.

Last edited by Random Hero; 10-01-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #2091
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
It should be just 1 and 3 IIRC since how can you mix ch2 to itself. Mixing it with ch1 is for something like a boat with dual rear motors or a tracked vehicle for their steering, so you always want to select 3 for crawler dual esc mixing. If a servo didn't work then your RX is needing replaced.
+1, well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Hero View Post
OK thanks, just wanted that cleared up. I am using a 4pk and you can mix all channels any way you want, thought it was a problem that it didn't display all 3 channels. Trying to get nappadogs straightened out.. it has been a struggle so far.
It's great that you're helping him out. Hopefully we helped as well.

Keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #2092
Rock Stacker

wil do it seems that tx has the potential he is looking for trying to hook up another rx and see what happens.. thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
+1, well said.

It's great that you're helping him out. Hopefully we helped as well.

Keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #2093
Got Worms?

The mix will display 1,3,4,5,6,7,8 depending on how many channels are activated...its kinda hard to mix channel 2 to channel 2

It seems like an issue with the rx,
Old 10-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #2094
RCC Addict

I'm going to pull the trigger this week so I can 3D scan it and rapid prototype a new one out of ABS. Anyone have any suggestions or changes I could make?
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #2095
Rock Stacker

ok thx, altho i understand ppl are on a budget, the headaches that come from bottom of the barrel products can be agravating. your time is worth something and in this case the hrs that have been spent to hack this tx. could have been spent out crawling with a 4pk or higher grade headache free system..!!!

Quote:
The mix will display 1,3,4,5,6,7,8 depending on how many channels are activated...its kinda hard to mix channel 2 to channel 2

It seems like an issue with the rx,

Last edited by Random Hero; 10-01-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #2096
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
ok thx, altho i understand ppl are on a budget, the headaches that come from bottom of the barrel products can be agravating. your time is worth something and in this case the hrs that have been spent to hack this tx. could have been spent out crawling with a 4pk or higher grade headache free system..!!!
Sorry you're having issues, I think most of us "just use" our hacked GT3B's just fine.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #2097
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Sorry you're having issues, I think most of us "just use" our hacked GT3B's just fine.
until you bust off the trigger like I did
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #2098
Got Worms?

ik632, your post kinda got buried yesterday, meant to reply, but i have around 50 triggers, email me your addy and i'll get one sent to you.

losikid@overkillrc.com

Although, what's the resolution on your printer?
Old 10-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #2099
Got Worms?

Quote:
Hours spent to hack it is less than an hour, hours spent to program it should be less than an hour. I can hack one and take pictures of the entire process and write notes down in less than an hour. I even have and still do sometimes offer pre-hacked ones so all thats needed is programming. And based on the size of the futaba threads, they're just as big of a pain in the ass to program. I've never tried it, nor really looked into it, but i do know just recently the gt3b thread has passed the post # for futaba threads. The gt3b/c is relatively easy to program once one realizes how the menu structure works.

The problem, from what i'm reading, is the rx. It worked fine before with a punk, so channel 2 has worked before. But now, its not working at all, not in a new model, not in the mixing model, not with a servo. BUT, when in the mixing model you do see a response out of channel 3 with the trigger, so the trigger pot is fine and the firmware isn't corrupt. So it most likey us the rx, which has been suggested by many thus far.

Its fairly common for flysky rx's to not work, usually a used one doesn't just stop, but knowing the amount of faulty new ones, it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #2100
Rock Stacker

The end result may be the same but as the story goes it comes down to you get what you pay for. I spent less then 10 min setting up a 4pk and have had zero issue, no hacking, no headaches just drive time. bottom line hope this tx rx works in the end or there is a 4pk on order for nappahdog..

Quote:
Hours spent to hack it is less than an hour, hours spent to program it should be less than an hour. I can hack one and take pictures of the entire process and write notes down in less than an hour. I even have and still do sometimes offer pre-hacked ones so all thats needed is programming. And based on the size of the futaba threads, they're just as big of a pain in the ass to program. I've never tried it, nor really looked into it, but i do know just recently the gt3b thread has passed the post # for futaba threads. The gt3b/c is relatively easy to program once one realizes how the menu structure works.

The problem, from what i'm reading, is the rx. It worked fine before with a punk, so channel 2 has worked before. But now, its not working at all, not in a new model, not in the mixing model, not with a servo. BUT, when in the mixing model you do see a response out of channel 3 with the trigger, so the trigger pot is fine and the firmware isn't corrupt. So it most likey us the rx, which has been suggested by many thus far.

Its fairly common for flysky rx's to not work, usually a used one doesn't just stop, but knowing the amount of faulty new ones, it wouldn't surprise me.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/321742-gt3b-hack-question-answer-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
RoboSavvy Forum :: View topic - SAM-3 Servo teardown This thread Refback 03-05-2013 12:49 PM