Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Motor and BEC question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Motor and BEC question

I've got 2 questions....

1. With a stock SCX-10 27 turn motor, how long should I expect it to last? My son might run 2 3000mah 7.2nimh batteries through it a weekend. It seems to be working fine, just thinking of getting a rebuildable spare for it like a Tekin 35T. Also, the cleaner, is it just an electrical de-greaser?

2. This is a little unrelated to crawling but is it safe to assume adding a BEC to a ESC will help keep it from running too hot? This would be on a Rustler VXL with a Tekin R1pro on 5mah 3S. Gearing is 16/86 right now. I'm going to try 17/86. With 18/90 it overheats.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

1) Getting the spare wouldn't be a bad idea, but the stock motor should last a good long while.
Not sure if motor spray and electrical contact cleaner are exactly the same, but either should work just fine. Just remember to oil your bushings/bearings after using. If I'm not mistaken, CowRC is a sponsor on this site, might wanna check them out, see if they have a product you're interested in.

2)Highly doubtful. Typically, gearing up results in more amp draw, you're likely at the end of what your FET's can handle. Couldn't hurt to try, but I'm of the opinion that any temp drop you'd see would be slight at best, and I doubt it'd be the difference between overheating and staying running. You've got the R1 Pro, still the VXL motor, though? Tires stock, or larger than stock? Running in grass (backyard bashing)?
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I used some brake clean to clean the motor. Should work just fine. I found a Tekin T45 for a decent price and I can use it for back-up for either of the trucks we have.

I kind of figured I was at the high end of what the R1 Pro can handle. I bought a heatsink and fan for the motor and a fan for the ESC. Can't hurt. Having and extra BEC on hand can't hurt either. Time will tell. I usually run it across the street in the park (grass) but I run the odd sand road and dirt field.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote