Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: How Do I Waterproof Lipos?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default How Do I Waterproof Lipos?

This is primarily for my scale trucks and my Emaxx BL...waterproofing ESCs and servos are pretty easy. But when it comes to lipos what do I do?

I heard some people just use electrical tape around the ends and then make sure the plugs are nicely sealed with some sort of electrical liquid tape.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I've been running Turnigy 5000mah 20C 2s packs in my waterproofed SCX for about a month now. I haven't done anything to them, other then let them sit with the wire openings in the case facing downhill after a run to let the water drain out of them. No issues yet, they still take a full charge and function fine.

Not sure about other manufacturers, but if the cheapies survive I don't think that there is an excuse for the rest of the brands.
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

There really isn't much reason to waterproof a battery. Lipo pouches are water and airtight already. The only issue you may worry about is some conduction between cell interconnects in heavily mineralized water, but that really isn't much of a worry at the low voltages between cells.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thanks John...I have yet to test out your prototype waterproofed BRXL! But hell at $65 that's one good deal! I might throw it into my Sand Scorcher and go mudding!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
There really isn't much reason to waterproof a battery. Lipo pouches are water and airtight already. The only issue you may worry about is some conduction between cell interconnects in heavily mineralized water, but that really isn't much of a worry at the low voltages between cells.
x2

But what about all that marketing from a certain company about they being the only waterproof lipo..........

I have submerged many of my lipos many times with zero issues. The inside stuff isn't waterproof, but if it get's exposed your battery is toast water or not.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

just to be on the safe side I balloon mine with balance tab tucked in & zip tied shut
Nish is offline   Reply With Quote