Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Epic 12x2?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Epic 12x2?

I'd really like a rebuildable motor for my scx10 and found an Epic Intense 12x2 at my LHS but I can't seem to find out much on them other than the fact they were stocked for drag racing. Besides possibly being faster than the stock 27T or 20T motor, what could I expect from something like this in a scx10 or wraith for that matter? More torque? It's part number EP1117.

I'd kind of like to stick to a rebuildable brushed motor because apparently they are a little better for water than brushless.

I have no idea if it'd be a good idea to try or not?
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

A 12t might be a little much for the tranny and such on an axial......yer talking a pretty stout motor that was a turn of motor that was often used by guys in 2wd buggies or trucks, and it would toast the diffs in them fairly routinely.

The motor itself is just one of the older Epic/Trinity designs. Good magnets, quality can and endbell. Not sure where the drag racing thing came from....was just a generic modified that I remember that used round wire and was drill balanced....used the generic epic teardown they tried to push to the OEM companies, but nobody bought them for whatever reason.

If the motor is cheap enough, you may grab it and see if you can located a higher turn arm. (19-30t for the wraith) and the Scx10 probably a 25t-35t is the normal.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Either truck I planned on going 2S max. I'll probably just get a Tekin 35T for the scx10 and try this thing in the wraith. I figure as long as it's re-geared to close to the same final drive ratio how bad can it be for it?
Old 06-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Well, figure a good 27t stock motor makes about 125 watts......a 12t will make well over 230 watts with ease......

Final drive ration will do little to stop the power from breaking stuff.

On the flip side, I have not got to mess with a wraith yet and have only seen them online. They seem to be handling 17.5 brushless motors and 20-25t brushed motors no problem...

I plan on selling some 19t machine and handwounds for the wraith.....gonna try to put them on the site today.

At worst, you just may need to replace some broken parts

Later EddieO
Old 06-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I kinda figured the same thing, if they can stand up to a 13.5 or 17.5 brushless set-up hopefully a lower turn brushed would be ok. I kinda want to go brushless but I wouldn't want to toast it in the snow or in puddles.

Thanks for the info Eddie
Old 06-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I'd really like a rebuildable motor for my scx10 and found an Epic Intense 12x2 at my LHS but I can't seem to find out much on them other than the fact they were stocked for drag racing. Besides possibly being faster than the stock 27T or 20T motor, what could I expect from something like this in a scx10 or wraith for that matter? More torque? It's part number EP1117.

I'd kind of like to stick to a rebuildable brushed motor because apparently they are a little better for water than brushless.

I have no idea if it'd be a good idea to try or not?
Look forward to no torque and burning motors. A 12t is way to far from what is safely ran in a crawler/scaler. Like eddie pointed out you could get it and put a new arm in but why bother. For not much more you can just get a nice quality brood and be happy for a long time.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You can mess with gearing to make up the torque some....I would just be more worried about blowing stuff up in the truck, but they do look pretty beefy compared to the other crawler based trucks....better buy some of the gear science stuff!

My 19t should be up soon.....working on some details. I am just gonna base them off the Komodo 19t from the racing days. I got plenty of them and they will fit in no problem. They have 24 degrees of timing, but reverse is meh anyways, how much power do you really need in reverse anyways....I will have the machine wounds and handwounds.....cheap too!

I see yer in canada though, so yer kinda stuck right now as we can't ship to you unless we go by UPS or Fedex.....damn postal strike.

Later EddieO
Old 06-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

If using your sport 19t in a sxc10 on 1.9's do you think you could gear it for good pulling torque and speed? Will the constant reverses wear it out prematurely?

It would be used for a G6 rig, so crawling, pulling , jumping and good top end are needed. Thx
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I'd worry more about the 48P spur gear before the R&P gears. If you bumped up to a 32P spur and steel pinion gear those will hold the extra power the 12x2 puts out. Maybe some steel driveshafts too...

Shipping to CA addresses will restart on 6/28.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

You should have no issues really. Reverse doesn't really wear them out much faster.....sure it rotates the brushes the other way, but so do the motors in about 2 gazillion drills....

The big issue really with reverse in most crawlers, is timing one way makes it retarded the other way.....so with positive timing in forward, you actually will make less power in reverse.....I don't find it that big of a deal....some people do for whatever reason. Even though my crawling time on the rocks is a lot less, I've never found myself going, shit if I only had more power in reverse!

New 19t is up the site....The Specter (wraith pun intended)!

Later EddieO
Old 06-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

How do these compare roughly w the old checkpoint money motors? Just for comparison.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

These are all based off the Komodo 19t.....which pretty much ran circles around the CP Money 19t on the racing circut. The handwound version will be even more stout.....165-170 watts for a sport, 180+ for a handwound.

Later EddieO
Old 06-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
These are all based off the Komodo 19t.....which pretty much ran circles around the CP Money 19t on the racing circut. The handwound version will be even more stout.....165-170 watts for a sport, 180+ for a handwound.

Later EddieO
So smaller lipos are out for these? Was hoping to run 2 -1350 3s in parallel. 35c's
Old 06-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I am pretty sure a smaller lipo is fine as long as the C rating is 30c and up....I mean, we ran 25c cells in mod touring and they held up just fine. Only down side is runtime isn't gonna be very long with a 1350.......though its gonna depend on the throttle finger.

A CP Money will have similar runtime as the machine wound version of mine...they make about 160-165 watts on the dyno.

Later EddieO
Old 06-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
So smaller lipos are out for these? Was hoping to run 2 -1350 3s in parallel. 35c's
So really you are going to run a 2700 3s2p 35c lipo right? That will make for a pretty stout battery... That battery should be good for 94.5 amps if my math is correct. Certainly that 19t is going to pull anywhere near that, correct?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Only way you pull amperage like that is if you get bound up really good and keep romping on it....lots of stuff will fail at that point anyways, could be the motor or tranny parts, etc....

Only thing I would be concerned about is runtimes, but is still 2700 mah, not too shabby.....crap, we used to race for 5 minutes back in the day with 1200 mah...

Later EddieO
Old 06-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Yea, except parker runs 100 gate stages lol. Need agood 45min of runtime if i can. Right know my 35t will go 96 gates w lots of wide open throttle.

I'll throw that old checkpoint in and test run time.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

If your looking for a good Brushed motor for your SCX10 and still have good speed and torque Go with a 27T Trinity Green Machine motor. If you geared it down using a 14-16t pinion gear you will have a little more torque and still have good wheel speed, but if you plan on doing rock crawling or in situations where you might get bound up, you may end up burning up the motor. a good 35t motor would be good if your doing any crawling. I havent put my 27t Trinity motor in my scx10 yet but I may try it just for fun, but I dont have a pininon gear smaller than 18tooth. Just couldnt do any crawling with it unless i jumped them lol.

On a side note A 17.5 brushless motor is compaired to a 27T Stock spec motor and i belive a 13.5 would be compaired to a 19T Mod spec motor and so forth. I do belive dont quote me on that but that what it seems like to me. I have a 17.5 brushless set up and my 27t trinity motor seems just as fast if not a hair faster than the brushless motor. thats on 2s and the trinity on 7cell.

gears and breaking things is the most to worrie about, I knew a guy running 17.5 brushless motor and kept blowing Idler gears in the tranny of is SCX10! so yeah,
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Green Machine or Green Machine 2? A GM is a full round can, GM2 is the squared. The GM hasn't been made since the early 90s, you will tough pressed to find one. The GM2 was still in production techincally when brushed motors died out in racing. A few oval guys used them still, as until the ROAR stock, they were the highest RPM and very little torque stock motor trinity made.

I actually still have some Gm2 motors, brand new....maybe one day I will add them to the site...

Honestly if you were gonna use a trinity stocker, there a better choices than the GM2.....Monster and Cobalt will make more power and have much more torque....p2k2 will make as much power, but more on the torque side, as will the p2k....

Later EddieO
Old 06-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I guess i have the GM2 lol, I wasnt sure because the sticker was worn off I just new it was a GM motor, You can find anything on EBAY. I really wouldnt trust any of the NEWER in production brushed motors unless it was the ORION Methods or a few other motors, but brushes are still avalible for old Motors. I still use them. Just changed the brushes in the GM yesterday and it screams! but yeah thanks for leting me know its a GM2 lol
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote